1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 18, 2017 9:28 AM by amdmatt

RX480 Black Screen on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

jeffmackowski

*Edit: Resolved - I resinstalled whql-7.2.1 from the Sapphire website and switched the HDMI cord for a DVI cord. No more black screen. The weird thing is, I'm using that HDMI cord (and port) for a second monitor with no issue (and the HDMI cord worked fine on the monitor with the DVI when the card was running the "Standard VGA adapter" driver).

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 480 8 GB

CPU: Intel i5-6400 @ 2.70 Ghz

Motherboard: MSi H110M ECO (BIOS v 2.8)

RAM: 16 GB

PSU: Seasonic 620 watts

Operating System & Version: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

GPU Drivers: card only works as "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter". Does not work with 16.7.1, 17.2.1, or 17.4.2

Background Applications: Black screen when windows loads.

Description of Problem: The card works as a "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter". After I've installed AMD drivers (using both manual install and auto-installer), I get a black screen of death when Windows loads, just after the windows logo colors coming together, before I can login. After I install drivers, I can boot into safe-mode and Device Manager shows that I have a Radeon RX 480 with no issues, however the Radeon software says I don't have a driver installed.

Troubleshooting: I've tried using DDU and installing manually, using DDU and installing with the auto installer. I've tried using DDU and the AMD cleaner and installing older drivers, new drivers, the auto drivers, and the drivers from the optical disk that came with the card. Everything results in the same issue, a black screen of death when windows loads. Might this be a PSU issue?