4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2017 4:20 PM by gkeawe

Very slow booting, Ryzen ...????

chan_inn

Very very very slow booting, Yes I know some issues are there with am4 mobo's , but each time when I switch on, it boots couple of time to enter OS and takes 2mins....

check video link....

slow boot ryzen - YouTube

I set booting order:-

1 - Wd black 1tb - which has OS

2 - SSD - No OS

Booting couple of times are normal ....?????

Or

Do I need to change boot order or anything else......??????

My 2017 Rig:

Ryzen7 1700  -  No overclocking, All set to Auto mode

Wraith Spire (set upto 2250rpm - 89% - 71degreecelsius)

Msi B350 Tomahawk

Gskill TridentZ 3200mhz 16gb(8*2)  -  Set to 2933mhz

Msi RX 480 Armor 8GB OC

WD Black 1tb 7200rpm

Samsung SSD EVO 850 240gb

DEEPCOOL MID TOWER CABINET (ATX) - DUKASE V2

Case Fan - 1 (running at 100% = 1200rpm)

Antec f19 fan - 2 (each running at 100% = 1200 rpm)

Arctic MX-4 Thermal Compound

LG 22MP68 22" Full HD IPS SLIM LED MONITOR (1920x1080)

Win10 Pro 64bit

Message was edited by: Matt B MODERATOR NOTE: We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.  This should encourage community participation in your discussion.

• Re: Very slow booting, Ryzen ...????
          amdmatt

I would recommend checking with your Motherboard manufacturer to see if this is expected behaviour. Perhaps they can provide you with settings or a bios update to speed up the boot time.

gkeawe

I see that your operating system is residing on a Western Digital Black 1TB hard drive, keep in mind that the drive is considered slow compared to a solid state drive and that the drive is a 7200 RPM hard drive reminiscent of the good old days when spinning drives were used. Now days it common to install the operating system on a SSD for faster access and a noticeable increase in boot times. The Western Digital Black 1TB hard drive is probably better used as a backup drive where access times are not that critical. My advice is to install the operating system on the SSD and use the 1TB hard drive for storing other data and files. Let me know how it boots up if you use the SSD for the operating system instead of the 1TB 7200 RPM hard drive, I think you will be happier with the OS on the SSD.

Note: That video was painful to watch, I can't believe we used to endure such boot times. ; )

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                chan_inn

Hi gkeawe....

After latest BIOS update it loads in 30secs... I think now its working fine, Isn't it...???

I know its strange, that I am using OS in WD Black instead SSD, Because I feel the SSD size is less for my installation files.... I do installation of all the latest games and stores data for retrieving and again storing the rendered files in the same SSD when I do editing... Then I move the rendered files to WD.... Do you think its good idea to follow...

Ok this may be a off topic :

Kindly suggest me....

NOTE :- Adobe premiere pro = APP

Scenario 1:

WD Black 1tb 7200rpm (Have OS) - Data :- eg Videos, photos, songs for editing

SSD EVO 850 240gb - APP , games like COD inifinite war, resident evil , latest games etc.

So here while editing retrieve data from WD and rendering data stores in same WD

Scenario 2:

WD Black 1tb 7200rpm (Have OS) - Data :- eg Videos, photos, songs for editing

SSD EVO 850 240gb - APP , games like COD inifinite war, resident evil , latest games etc.

So here while editing retrieve data from WD and rendering data stores in SSD

Scenario 3:

WD Black 1tb 7200rpm (Have OS) - APP, others data and files

SSD EVO 850 240gb - games like COD inifinite war, resident evil , latest games etc, Data :- eg Videos, photos, songs for editing

So here while editing retrieve data from SSD and rendering data stores in SSD

Scenario 4:

WD Black 1tb 7200rpm (Have OS) - APP, others data and files

SSD EVO 850 240gb - games like COD inifinite war, resident evil , latest games etc, Data :- eg Videos, photos, songs for editing

So here while editing retrieve data from SSD and rendering data stores in WD

Which scenario is best.....????

gkeawe

I'll have to pick scenario 4, because I think it highlights what these Ryzen processors are all about. Scenario 4 strikes a balance between workstation and gaming. I'm pretty excited about these Ryzen processors as are many owners and those on the forums. Now, if only the Vega GPU's can hurry up and get here. Sweet times for AMD !!!!! Thank You AMD !!!! My third Ryzen processor arrives tomorrow, the Ryzen 5 1500X can't wait to test it out !!!