2 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2017 12:28 AM by viilutaja

FreeSync screen flickering (RX480, AG271QX, Radeon 17.2.1)

pcpme

I just built a new PC and got a new monitor and am having issues with FreeSync. Things work fine when FreeSync is turned off, but when it is on I often have my screen flicker brighter and the also the appearance of low FPS during the flickering (despite high FPS shown in game).

Specs:

AOC AG271QX 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor

Ryzen 5 1600

XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB RS Video Card

Gigabyte GA-AB350-GAMING 3

G.Skill Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

ADATA Ultimate SU800 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

What I've tried:

-Installed latest versions of all my drivers including Radeon 17.2.1, DirectX 12, and the monitor's .inf file.

-Tried using FreeSync at different refresh rates, didn't help. (By changing it here 2017-04-15_1715 )

-Tested multiple games including LoL, Overwatch, BF1. The flickering goes away intermittently and appears often in loading screens and sometimes even my desktop.

I'm not sure whether I should return my monitor or if it's a problem with the computer. I've found many posts by people with flickering on other monitors and found no solution. How can I debug/fix this?

• Re: FreeSync screen flickering (RX480, AG271QX, Radeon 17.2.1)
          cin83

There's so many people having similar issues with Freesync and none getting any answers. I myself have identical problem with brightness flicker/strobing in games and menus/loading screens after enabling Freesync in Radeon Settings. There's only one game that doesn't flicker for me - Doom. It uses Vulkan API. I'm not sure whether it has anything to do flicker-free experience but it's the only thing sets it apart other games I play (mainly BF1 at the moment). So if I had to guess, I'd say it's not hardware we need to blame.

I use exactly the same Agon monitor and Saphire's Fury card. Also I bought a VESA certified cable as suggested by some users. I mainly went for AMDs Freesync setup (card + monitor) as I couldn't justify  paying a £100 more for G-Sync. Maybe that wasn't the best choice... Anyway, It's been 6 months since my purchase and I still can't use Freesync (flicker-free).

I've read many posts on different forums and they all suggest same methods of ''dealing'' with this issue. None of them resolve it though. I'm pretty sure AMD is well aware of the problem but since they don't have any solution, they treat anyone who asks about it as if they were a one-off, isolated case. I hope it gets resolved one day. For the time being, making your game run at steady 80-100 FPS makes the experience pretty tear-free (at least most of the time).

• Re: FreeSync screen flickering (RX480, AG271QX, Radeon 17.2.1)
            viilutaja

Hi,
            Was Google'ing the solution to same problem and I found this thread.

Reading pcpme's first post was like it was written by myself... even the configuration is same!

Specs:

AOC AG271QX 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor

Ryzen 5 1600

XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB GTR Video Card

Gigabyte GA-AB350M-GAMING 3

Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

I tried going back to  older driver: 17.4.2, but similar result, still flickers.... like the panel PWM is not working or something when FreeSync is enabled... When I switch FreeSync OFF then the flickering stops. But for me the flickering is also in the movies I watch or in the TV series!

For F*U*C*K sake AMD, fix the problem! It is not isolated case.