2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2017 11:09 AM by jensr

Unity3D crashes with AMD cards

jensr

We released our Unity3D game recently, and we are receiving quite a few problem reports from people using AMD cards, for example:

( [Working] Crash on Intro Cutscene - Download link! :: Yooka-Laylee General Discussions )

AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series*

AMD Radeon HD 6500 Series

AMD Radeon HD 6570*

AMD Radeon HD 6670

AMD Radeon HD 6700*

AMD Radeon HD 7500*

AMD Radeon HD 7500M

AMD Radeon HD 7570

AMD Radeon HD 7600M*

Unfortunately all our office PC are equipped with NVidia cards, so we have not seen these issues and no way to debug them. We'll probably order a few cards just to reproduce this, but the closed Unity environment makes it hard to debug low-level issues... We are using Unity 5.4.2p4 for the PC build.

It is quite possible that this is a Unity issue, but I was wondering if anyone on the AMD side has ever looked into this. The severity of the problems seems to depend on the quality settings, which may point to some shader problems. We are using mostly the built-in shaders and the deferred rendering pipeline, so I expect other games to have similar problems.

I did the usual searches, but have seen nothing in the past few years.

Has anyone ever diagnosed this, or found a workaround? I'll probably contact Unity as well, but want to exclude driver or hardware problems first...

• Re: Unity3D crashes with AMD cards
          ray_m

All of the cards mentioned have been moved to legacy status and the last driver released for them was Catalyst 15.7.1 (from July 2015) or the beta Crimson 16.2.1 (from Feb 2016).

It is quite possible that your application requires a more recent driver, but since these cards are now legacy, there are no driver updates planned for them.

1 of 1 people found this helpful