3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2017 8:26 PM by savagebeastzero

Radeon software required for Crossfire?

erfg12

HARDWARE: 2 Radeon RX480s, i7 6700k, 32gb DDR4, Samsung SSD 256gb.

Every other day I get an update from the Radeon software to update to a new driver version for small fixes in games I don't play (maybe I opted in for beta drivers?). Even using the Radeon software to update those drivers sometimes causes the entire computer to show nothing on screen and require a restart. More recently I had an issue where if I was in Adobe Premiere and working on a project the entire computer would nearly lock up. While this was going on I would watch my task manager and CPU/HDD/RAM are below max numbers.

I did a virus scan with Microsoft's defender and MalwareBytes. Both came up empty. So I reset my computer with the Windows 10 reset feature (I love this feature) and it's running fantastically right now with all the default drivers installed.

My question is, can I just leave the default drivers from Microsoft installed and still get great performance in Adobe Premiere and maybe some games like Doom or Yooka-Laylee? Is Crossfire enabled by default in the default drivers, or is Radeon software required? I'm just really fed up with the Radeon software update system.

• Re: Radeon software required for Crossfire?
          black_zion

kingfish is the resident expert on drivers.

kingfish

There is never a reason to update your drivers unless there is a 'fix' to a issue you are having with your current drivers. The 'read me ' file tells all. Microsoft will download/install the last certified driver from AMD, so presumably you have the latest AMD offers. As for crossfire....I have no clue. Don't have any experience with it. But savagebeastzero can answer that.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              savagebeastzero

Hey erfg12

Crossfire users should download the entire Radeon Software and driver package for a few reasons which I'll list below, but it's not necessarily required, but will limit Crossfire core functionality across varying titles and software. One point to note though, is that newer versions of Adobe Premier do not require the Radeon Settings package to be installed to correctly detect that the end user has multiple gpus. Yet, even still, considering a few points I bring up below, even for Adobe, you'd be better off having Radeon Settings installed for proper EnableULPS (0) registry entry purposes (explained below, which may be the cause of your lock-ups as your gpus fluctuate to the low power state).

* There are specific registry entries which are properly entered enabling extended end user control when manually installing the entire Radeon Software and driver package that benefit Crossrfire users. EnableULPS is the primary entry of mention, but if of great importance for Crossfire users. When the standard Microsoft drivers are installed, the entries listed aren't entered properly which reduce user control. Thus when altering the EnableULPS entry to disable the GPUs low power state to limit or reduce possible stuttering, there are times that it doesn't function properly or at all.

Although disabling ULPS is not always needed, but this is definitely a benefit to downloading the entire Radeon Software and driver package, as although rare, there titles and software releases that require Disabling ULPS for Crossfire functionality to operate as they should when supported, but lack proper developer Crossfire optimizations.

* Installing the entire Radeon Software and driver package enables the end user to easily enable and disable Crossfire on a per profile basis. Considering there are many titles and software that don't support Crossfire, having this functionality available is extremely beneficial.

As an example which directly correlates to your situation, DOOM was mentioned as a title that you intend to play, yet the idTech666 engine lacks Crossfire/explicit multi-gpu/API multi-gpu support and if Crossfire is not completely disabled, the end user will experience reduced performance in game such as hitching, stuttering, game freezes, system lock ups and more. I've previously witnessed this behavior and it's quite disappointing, but with a simple adjustment to the Radeon profile, diabling Crossfire, the issue was resolved. Without this feature, the solution would be much more complicated at the users end.

There are honestly countless reasons to install the entire Radeon Software package, but like kingfish stated, once installed you wouldn't need to upgrade them further unless you truly required something offered within the newest driver package, such as a specific fix to a known issue. So, I highly recommend that you perform a a clean installation, to ensure that your Radeon driver/software package is current and installed correctly. Once completed, only upgrade if necessary.

Crossfire technology is although fantastic overall, but is definitely more hands on than a single card configuration. The more you get accustomed to setting up profiles, altering registry settings and the like, the easier it gets. Overall, you'll see the payoff of your hard work when everything is performing better than you could have hoped for prior to adopting a Crossfire configuration. Yet, sadly I have to be honest here, Crossfire technology isn't always the set it and forget it means to a graphics solution. So, you might have to get your hands dirty every now and again.

If you have any further questions in regards to Crossfire, feel free to send me a PM or leave any questions you might have and I'll reply as soon as I can. I'll be more than happy to assist you in getting past the initial Crossfire hump and get you on the right path towards mastery, it'll be worth it in the long run, especially for hardware acceleration.

2 of 2 people found this helpful