4 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2017 1:41 AM by savagebeastzero

amd 1600x  and memory.....

ronss

just bought the amd 1600x,,,and pair it with the x370 msi pro carbon...what would be the best memory....i want to go 2x8gb...would 3200 mhz be the best..or someone tell me exactly what to get...do not want memory issues..

• Re: amd 1600x  and memory.....
          savagebeastzero

Hey ronss,

There are a few upcoming DIMMS that are specifically optimized for the Ryzen series CPU's from varying manufacturers. Until their release, the official statement from AMD's Robert Hallock in regards to "suggested" DIMMS that will garner the best results are below.

Geil EVO X - GEX416GB3200C16DC [16-16-16-36 @ 1.35v]

G.Skill Trident Z - F4-3200C16D-16GTZR [16-18-18-36 @ 1.35v]

Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 VERSION 5.39 [16-18-18-36 @ 1.35v]

Tips for Building a Better AMD Ryzen™ System

Here is the entire article by Robert Hallock, which I highly recommend all preparing to build a Ryzen based system should read entirely.

Aside from the officially recommended DIMMS mentioned in the article, there are many other DIMMS that users have been able to obtain specified or higher than specified memory speeds, but usually with the caveat being the user must manually adjust their settings within the bios.

Samsung B-die based single ranked DIMMS

There has thus far been varying success across manufacturers and/or models. Memory manufactured with Samsung B-die based DIMMS manufactured in single rank @8GBx2=16 has brought the most success in terms of stability and overclocking ability overall. The more memory volume by way of sheer volume in each DIMM or via multiple DIMMS increases instability, so be wary. It would work, but would likely require more technical knowledge in regards to manually adjusting bios settings and/or memory timings.

Single ranked Hynix based memory

Others including myself have had similar success with Hynix based single ranked DIMMS. Yet, remember Hynix users obtaining similar stability to Samsung based DIMMS tend to be more experienced with manually adjusting bios settings, as others who are less experienced have reported issues obtaining anything higher than 2133Mhz with their Hynix based memory. So although they can be configured to operate well, much of that it up to the end user until further bios updates across varying manufacturers occur, which might not be until May or later.

Dual ranked DIMMS

Don't do it to yourself, you'll regret the purchase, as many users has reported issues getting them to operate at all or in the least are obtaining a maximum of the 2133Mhz standard regardless of their rated speeds. So be warned.

Go with a Samsung B-die based single ranked DIMM

So, overall, if you're searching for the memory currently available that in my opinion is offering the most out of box compatability for Ryzen users, across all motherboard manufacturers and their corresponding bios revisions thus far, I'd have to recommend sticking to any GSkill Samsung-B based, single rank DIMMS. Users purchasing GSkill Samsung-B based, single rank DIMMS appear to be obtaining the highest overclocks, tightest timings and reliable out of box stability thus far.

2 of 2 people found this helpful