11 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2017 12:24 PM by peamj.

Windows 10 Creator Update, Install display driver Freeze

snipersg

Hi

I'm using Windows 10 Creator Update and download new driver non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.4.2-apr11.exe when installing display driver my laptop got hang/Freeze and using older driver the problem is same,  i using AMD Radeon R5 M240 ..... please fix it

Thanks

• Re: Windows 10 Creator Update, Install display driver Freeze
          snipersg
          • AMD Graphics Card
            • AMD Radeon R5 M240
          • Desktop or Laptop System
            • Asus x450CP
          • Operating System
            • Windows 10 64bit (Creator Update (1703) Build 15063.138)
          • Driver version installed
            • Crimson ReLive Edition 17.4.2
          • CPU/APU
            • Intel Core i3 3217u
          • RAM
            • 4 GB

Problem

• I'm using Windows 10 Creator Update and download new driver non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.4.2-apr11.exe when installing display driver my laptop got hang/Freeze and using older driver the problem is same, some information when i install driver in safe mode it installed but when boot to normal mode is freeze in startup so i must disable the display adapter,  i using AMD Radeon R5 M240 ..... please fix it
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            xnervoushabitx

Hey mate so if youre doing a driver update always do a clean install. I personally do not use the clean install option AMD has because I seem to always have issues with it.

What I do is download a program called Display Driver Uninstaller AKA: DDU, and use that program to uninstall any old graphics driver I have before updating to a new one. So here are the steps.

1. Download DDU from their site. ( Official Display Driver Uninstaller DDU Download )

2.Download latest AMD Driver from their website, Not The Minimal One, and save it to your desktop for later. ( Download Drivers )

3. After you install DDU you must restart your pc into safe mode. To do this on Win 10 I find the easiest way is to hold down the shift key as you select the power option in the start menu and select the restart button as you're holding down shift. a window will appear shortly after select these.

Select Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>Startup Settings and then restart. Once your PC has restarted you will have the options to boot into Safe mode by using the numbers on your keyboard (I use option 4 for regular Safe Mode)

4. Once you are Booted into Safe Mode and on your Desktop Launch DDU and use the Recommended Option (the top/first one) for clean and restart. Let it do its thang and it'll then restart. It'll look all cruddy because you're display drivers are uninstalled but don't fret, you're on track.

5. Once you have restarted and you're back on your Desktop after uninstalling using DDU, go ahead and start to install the drivers you have download from AMD. It'll ask if you want to do a clean install or express install, select Express Install since you already uninstalled the old drivers using DDU.

6. Make a cup of coffee and let it install then restart when you get back.

On a side note the installer will ask if you want to install Radeon ReLive. I always skip this because I am always seeing people complain of issues using the software. Just me personally though. Hope this little bit of info helps you out m8

1 of 3 people found this helpful
              atlasminor

Be sure to have a Zipped folder copy of your drivers when running uninstall tools, they tend to remove most, if not all, AMD folders on the system.

Let me add, place the drivers your about to install on windows-10 5-7 folders deep, named 1-5, this will prevent windows from seeing your drivers as malware. Also disable Windows Defender and check your UEFI to see if its in Setup Mode or User Mode.

Unloading the PK Key will force the notebook into automated setup mode if you don't have the option to disable secure boot and go into Setup Mode.

This is a manufacturing automated action the notebook MUST perform when a key is unloaded, KEK or PK or BOTH, secure boot was designed this way without any company help so, unload the key(s)

If your notebook is stuck in secureboot with no disable option or Custom Key Options, you might not be able to install properly.

snipersg

I was did everything but nothing work for me, the problem is same , freeze when installing display adapter

Hmm i just try to uninstall intel hd 4000 driver and install amd r5 m240 first but i get BSOD "Machine Check exception" and freeze just my opinion the problem is the driver (non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.4.2-apr11.exe) :/

snipersg

install the older driver and get working

1. uninstall your current driver

2. download older driver (amd-catalyst-15.7.1-win10-64bit) here

3. install normaly, you can choose costume or expert

the older driver work for me..... the Newest driver is problem i think and just wait for new update