1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 11, 2017 9:30 PM by plutonium_isotope

Games crashing with artifact and tdr failure

pbrasi

Greetings everybody,

troubles in paradise here. I just bought an MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8Gb, and it worked great for the first few playing sessions. Then the crashes started. It happened until now only during games, the game freezes with sound still playing, I get graphic artifacts like the one in the figure, then either the game closes and I return to windows, or I get a BSOD with the "tdr failure" code.

It happens in different games (Witcher 3, Rainbow 6:Siege, Thief, Superhot) at seemingly random times, sometimes after 20 minutes, other times after 2 hours; in some sessions it doesn't happen at all.  I am after clean install of windows, I upgraded all drivers (tried versions 17.2.1 and 17.4.1 of AMD Crimson), mobo bios was flashed to the latest available (problem presented before and after flash). I ran memtest86 for some 15 hours without errors, and did one hour of Furmark without problems. Gpu temperature never goes above 73C, and I didn't touch overclocking (only increased the maximum power draw limit, seemingly no effect). I was playing both on a samsung TV and IPS monitor via HDMI, same problem. I'm running out of ideas... is it possible that it's an hardware defect? I have the card since 10 days only, and never had any problem with the previous card (GTX 770).

Thanks for any help!

My specs:

GPU: MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8Gb

CPU: Intel i5 4670 3.4 GHz

MoBo: Asrock B85M-G

RAM: 2x8 Gb DDR 3 1600 MHz, 1 Kingston, 1 Crucial Ballistix (yes I know I shouldn't mix, but I manually adjusted CAS latencies, and anyway they never gave me problems for 2 years).

Storage: HDD 1 Tb, SSD 240 Gb

PSU: Silentium Deus M1 650W

• Re: Games crashing with artifact and tdr failure
          plutonium_isotope

Might be a bad card, try dropping core frequency to 1266, memory frequency to 1950 keep the power draw limit thing at 50% or whatever the max is, also bump your core voltage up a little bit to 1160 mv.  Then work your way up back from there.  If it doesnt get back up to 1303/2000 using stock voltages, just return that thing and get a refund cause its acting up.