12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2017 11:09 PM by xobeloot

My Predicament

whiskey-foxtrot

So I've been a fan of movers and shakers in the tech industry - AMD has always been somewhat of the underdog (hold the hate, I mean it in a good way), but what has really captivated me in the last year is the seemingly altruistic moves - and that greatly improves my desire to support this company. AMD has always been the lower-cost alternative, but it hasn't been more defined in the last couple of years. For instance, in 2016 beginning with a remark by Mr Koduri paraphrased: AMD’s goal is to put high-end tech in the hands of the masses (referring to VR and 4K) – no longer is it only reserved for those with cash to spend on exuberant priced equipment, but rather an option for all. This started with the Rx 480 releases last June 2016 which were less than half of NVidia’s top tier consumer products. Earlier this year (Feb 21) when Dr Su held up a first glimpse of a Ryzen CPU to me is such an iconic/historic picture (I would LOVE to have a signed copy of btw - it would make my year!) - I definitely felt the warm and fuzzies all over again!

Now before I digress any further - what's this post about?

In all my builds, since the Athlon ERA, I've always had at least two PCs: one with a "blue-team" CPU, and the other you guessed it, with an AMD CPU. Hardware was always readily available, and I've always built my systems based on the CPU. For instance my Intel system would have predominantly all Intel compatible/partner products, and the same for my AMD PC.

My last (main) AMD system (2014 upgraded up until the Rx480 in 2016) was on an Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z, with an FX-9370 (and FX-9590), coupled with HD7950's, followed by R9-x90's, and finally Rx-480's always in Crossfire. I'm not going to mention my Intel systems, but it's similar but with "green team" GPUs.

So my question to the community: am I the only one to have an almost bordering OCD to where I MUST have my hardware selected like this? I just cannot mix and match - Yes, I have the Titan-X's, Ti's etc etc, but I'll be damned if I'm going to put one of those in my new Ryzen system! I'd love to hear from others on this.

Now, here's my predicament: My Ryzen system (something I'm dying to write about on my own website) is a gorgeous rig - custom Orange theme based on my logo colors which also happens to match the new Ryzen orange gradients. It has an EKWB custom loop for both the CPU and the GPUs. Everything is in place except for the GPUs! Yes, I can slap one of the green team GPU's in there but like I said, that's just not happening. I can pick up some Rx480's again, but Vega's right around the corner'ish and like everyone else, I'm dying to get my hands on that! Until that time, my new Ryzen rig, will just have to sit in pieces until Vega's here!

Sorry about the ramble - my first time here and glad I finally got on board after all these years!

PS: I hope I make it in the Red Team some time - it's a badge I'd love to wear!

• Re: My Predicament
          rusheddown

2 things, First I think we all have the problem of waiting for Vega an undisclosed date.

Second, AMD innovates for tomorrow they aren't the low cost alternative (they aren't some second rate off brand) They price their items competitively and offer a good product for an appropriate price, the same can't be said for some competitors that continually price gouge. The 7970 and the new 8 core Ryzen chips are great examples of what AMD does when they launch a product. They Identify a group in need of their product, and price accordingly for what it is. Sometimes we rave over the good value that is to be had and that's because other companies have been parasites lately.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              whiskey-foxtrot

I totally agree - "lower cost alternative" should not have been used as it also indicates that AMD is inferior to the other (in)famous brand backed by a huge marketing engine. I probably could've explained my point with specific examples, but I think everyone here already knows what AMD's all about.

As for my "predicament" mentioned in the OP - I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to my PCs, so I picked up 2 Rx 480's after that post just so I can finish the loop in my new build. I already have a few EK 480 cooling blocks I can put to good use. When Vega gets here, it'll just give me more material for another story and video.

rusheddown

Yep I think Vega is something we are all looking forward to. I for one am. I'm getting my 1600 ordered tomorrow to pull my build together but right now it's still got a 280 in it. Slight upgrade from the 6950 I was using though. Love the OC on this card still though 350 MHz on the core and 500 on the memory and a frosty 63 degree temp. Vega is the logical upgrade to the build.

whiskey-foxtrot

Talk about hardcore - you've held on that long! Yes, Vega would be a nice upgrade for you. I absolutely loved them on Linux; OC'ing was a day-to-day endeavor to say the least with daily code changes (I did a lot of kernel level dev for that) but it was a lot of fun. I somewhat lost track of all that due to deployments overseas but looking to get back in it. It's a slightly different ball-game now (on Windows at least) and a lot less-hands on.

Which mobo+RAM combo are you going with for your 1600?

rusheddown

Going with a b350 Tomahawk as from what I've seen it has the best vrms from the available b350 boards that suite me. As for ram I went with cl 16 2800mhz g skill v series memory as it was cheap and has Samsung b-die chips so I should be able to push it to 2933 or 3200 ideally. If price wasn't an issue I would have gone with a tiachi motherboard from ASRock as it's just as good as the Asus crosshair.

iamthesaga

Hey whiskey-foxtrot, you ARE in the Red Team so wear that badge proudly!  If you meant to say Red Team Plus, then check out AMD Red Team vs. AMD Red Team Plus for more info.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      feverstriker

Not me. There was only one time when I broke down and purchased a green team GPU for my wife's PC because of a sale that it was under at the time. I will never do it again. Over time I've discovered that AMD is, in my opinion, a more ethical company then the blue and green team guys and that is exactly why I decided to stick with AMD products from that point on. I feel like I am part of a family when I game with this community, this is a huge plus for me.

ravewonder

Like you I have been a loyal AMD customer and am having a hard time not waiting for VEGA I have the money ready to spend but without a product and now I have to wait another 2 months for announcement and probably another month or 2 for when it hit shelves. By that time Volta will be here which will be a generation ahead of VEGA. Now I can easily get a 1080Ti but I have 2 4k Samsung Free Sync monitors and I would love to pair them up with a high end AMD part but there is nothing to match them up with and it is becoming very frustrating. So I understand where you are coming from.

whiskey-foxtrot

ravewonder Patience can be hard to come by, but I've waited so long and I can hold off for a few more months. I've looked at the extra Ti's, EVGA sent me but it wasn't even a consideration for Oscar Mike  which I ended up building with 2 x 480's I had stashed away for a different project.  Those will eventually be replaced by Rx Vega's, most likely after I've had a chance to evaluate the FE editions for my DL/AI projects.

Which Samsung monitors do you have? I'm waiting on purchasing mine to see what the Rx Vega's can push, but would love to see 4k in the range of 144Hz - anything higher would be overkill. Heck, I'd settle for 75 - 100Hz @ 4k - again, as long as the cards can push it.

xobeloot

I actually feel really strange having an Nvidia card in my system now that it is Ryzen, but i'm not going to rebuild around a different card with the current offerings.  I am, however, (im)patiently awaiting the gaming editions of RX Vega.  I'll be starting a scratch build w/ my other blue team stuff soon (it pains me seeing it on a shelf), and hopefully i'll have a full red and full blue/green system in the very near future. 

That said, I am with you on wanting to support AMD 100%  Am I as OCD as you?  probably not since my 1080 in the Ryzen system isn't making me twitch (yet), but it is getting close!