12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2017 2:45 AM by nospheratu

DirectX12 Multi GPU - Hard Reset / Reboot on any driver newer than 16.8.3

nospheratu

I am experiencing a hard reset/reboot on DirectX12 Multi GPU on any driver newer than the "non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.8.3-aug30" driver with two 7970M cards.

I am using 3DMark's TimeSpy benchmark as a reference. My system specifications are below.

• AMD Graphics Card
        • 2x Radeon 7970M
      • Desktop or Laptop System
        • Laptop - Alienware M17X R2
      • Operating System
        • Windows 10 64bit version 1703 (OS Build 15063.13)
      • Driver version installed
        • non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.9.1-sep7 or newer
      • Display Devices
        • Samsung 170CT, Hardware ID: Monitor\SEC5443 [DELL P/N: J2CY8], default laptop display, 1920x1200 60hz
      • Motherboard
        • Default Alienware M17x R2 motherboard with Intel PM55 chipset
      • CPU
        • Intel Core i7 920XM
      • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
        • Dell 300W external Laptop PSU
      • RAM
        • 2 x 4GB Samsung DDR3

3DMark Version Information

TimeSpy 1.0

SystemInfo 5.0.609.0

GUI 2.3.3682 64

I run the TimeSpy benchmark at default settings. As soon as the application switches to fullscreen mode for the benchmark the PC immediately hard resets/reboots (The Timespy loading screen does not even appear). As a result there is no BSOD logged. If I disable CrossFire under Radeon Settings the benchmark runs fine albeit with one card. With the 16.8.3 driver mentioned above the benchmark runs perfectly well with CrossFire enabled under Radeon Settings.

Has anyone here experienced anything similar with DirectX12 Multi GPU?

I've experienced this issue with the below drivers

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.9.1-sep7

whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.9.1-sep13

whql-win7-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.9.1-sep13

non-whql-win7-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.9.2-sep16

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.9.2-sep21

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.10.1-oct6

Non-WHQL-Win7-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-16.10.1-Oct6

whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.10.1-oct13

whql-win7-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.10.1-oct13

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.10.2-oct19

non-whql-win7-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.10.2-oct19

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.10.3-oct27

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.11.3-nov8

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.11.5-nov25

win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-16.12.1-dec7

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-16.12.2-dec19

win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-16.12.2-jan3

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.1.1-jan16

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.1.2-jan25

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.2.1-feb10

whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.2.1-feb22

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.3.1-mar3

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.3.2-mar15

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.3.3-mar16

Couldn't test "non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.4.1-apr3" as I'm getting BSOD's like many other members here (unrelated issue).

• Re: DirectX12 Multi GPU - Hard Reset / Reboot on any driver newer than 16.8.3
          qwixt

"a hard reset/reboot"

Is almost always a power or heat issue. Different drivers can utilize GPU/CPU more efficiently, and increase heat or power usage. Considering it works with one, I would guess that it's a power issue.

goodplay

Have to ask, is this new thread in relation to having installed the early "creators update" ?

There will be a driver released for the official April 11th release version.

Not sure how that will affect those who jumped in early.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                nospheratu

Its unfortunate that I installed the creators update as I had some time to troubleshoot the issue this weekend and decided on a clean install of Windows. My normal process is to download the latest ISO using the Media Creation tool, it just so happened that it contained the Creators Update as well.

For reference see my post here, where the same issue occurs on Windows 10 version 1607 with build 14393.969.

On an unrelated issue, it seems as the 17.4.1 driver which I've noticed that some members are saying will work on the Creators Update still causes a BSOD on my system together with no screen brightness control (normally controlled by the KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2 registry key). I understand its a beta but don't think this driver was given enough test time with older GCN 1.0 hardware.

qwixt

On the nvidia forums, it is recommended to wipe all nvidia drivers before installing windows CU, because some of the driver files get moved over to the windows.old directory, and are used from there. Maybe windows has some of the same issues with AMD. Seems like a serious bug in the update process to me.

nospheratu

Thanks for the information qwixt however since I performed a clean installation of Windows I can honestly say the CU edition is running well without any obvious issues on my system.

Since I experienced this hard reboot / reset issue on a previous build of Windows as well I cant really fault the CU edition. I actually didn't realise I was running it until I noticed changes under Settings and the Paint 3D app. A lot of functionality has been shifted around to incorporate it within Settings.

Another difference that I noticed was that after installing the Crimson drivers I normally access Radeon Settings before restarting to disable CrossFire for another issue (see here). Instead I was prompted with a message along the lines of, "Please connect a monitor to your AMD graphics adapter" which is odd since I do not have an integrated GPU. Drivers newer than 16.8.3 do not have this message prompt and open Radeon Settings immediately.

As far as I know, DirectX 12 Multi GPU technology is handled by the OS itself and not the GPU's manufacturer's propriety Multi GPU technology (in this case CrossFire). The fact that I'm getting different results with different Crimson drivers leads me to believe the initial call to the DirectX12 API with CrossFire enabled under Radeon Settings was possibly changed in 16.9.1 and later and my machine doesn't know how to interpret it , but that's just speculation, I'm no driver engineer .

nospheratu

The 17.4.2 (and 17.4.1) driver/s exhibit a random blue screen occurs randomly even when the machine is left idle in Windows. The BSOD throws the THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER bug check string. The Crash Address in Stack is always the same for all BSOD's ie. "atikmdag.sys+56944" and "dxgkrnl.sys+35fbb".

The BSOD is also triggered as soon as I launch 3DMark as result I am unable to test whether these drivers are able to run DirectX12 Multi GPU on my system.

nospheratu

Unfortunately I am unable to test this issue with the new 17.4.3 drivers as well as I am experiencing the same "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER" bluescreen as mentioned in my previous post.

nospheratu

Some additional information, I am unable to use any of the 17.4.X drivers as they exhibit the "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER" bluescreen randomly (even when the machine is idle) as mentioned above.

However all the drivers after 16.8.3 to 17.3.3 do work (with single 7970M GPU) in the DirectX12 TimeSpy test, just not in DirectX12 MultiGPU/CrossFire mode. DirectX11 Crossfire works perfectly well with these drivers. I am planning to buy a couple of games that support DirectX12 Multi GPU to confirm that this issue I am experiencing is not isolated to the 3DMark's TimeSpy test and will provide further feedback.

nospheratu

I am unable to use any of the 17.5.X drivers either as they exhibit the "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER" bluescreen randomly (even when the machine is idle) so I am unable to get a chance to test if these drivers resolve the problem (the bluescreen seems to trigger as soon as windows communicates with the secondary GPU).

edit: Just though I should add that disabling CrossFire does not prevent the "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER"  bluescreens from occuring, I have to disable the secondary card in device manager for the BSOD's to go away. Reverting to 16.3.3 still works with CrossFire with albeit with the DX12 issue described in the original post.

nospheratu

I experience the exact same symptoms with Rise of the Tomb Raider in DirectX12 with both 7970M cards active. If I disable the secondary card in device manager I am able to play in DirectX12 albiet with lowered performance. The exact same result with 3DMark Timespy.

I am currently using 17.3.3, I will revert to 16.8.3 and see if I am able to play ROTTR in DirectX12 with both cards.

Anything later than 17.3.3 still gives me the "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER"  bluescreen, even at idle on the desktop so there's no change there.

nospheratu

No change with 17.6.2. Got the THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER BSOD during driver install at the ReLive install stage (I dont use ReLive and normally click skip but never got the chance with the BSOD) so can't really test DX12 mGPU with this driver.