1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 10, 2017 6:16 AM by amdmatt

VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT(atikmpag.sys)

michealjohndiamond

I am using HP Pavilion dm4-1000 series Laptop.

It is Intel Core i5 CPU with dual graphics cards. Intel HD Graphics and AMD Raedon mobility HD 5450.

Preinstalled with Windows 7 and upgraded to Windows 10 and worked fine up to last month.

Since, Windows 10 has auto windows update feature, during after one of the windows updates I started to get the blue screen (BSOD) with error VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT(atikmpag.sys)

On search in internet, this error related to AMD graphics card driver related issue and suggested options to download the AMD drivers from manufacture site (HP) / AMD / DriverEasy and I have tried with all the options and end up with same error.

Finally, I have used Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to uninstall the AMD driver completely and to deceided to continue with Intel HD graphics. It was worked in that way, but windows 10 again automatically started to update the AMD 5000 series driver and ending up with same issue again.

To avoid the Windows auto update, I have changed the Wi-Fi connection to "Metered" so that none of the updates can be downloaded.

So, right now I have enabled metered connection with AMD Driver disabled and working with Intel HD graphics card alone.

My question is, whether any chance of enabling AMD driver? Is the error atikmpag.sys related to incompatiable driver alone or it may have issue with the AMD graphics card itself.

If the issue with the graphics card itself, can we remove it? as I am missing the windows critical updates, if any and also if I am connecting to other Wi-fi connections, it is automatically installing the drivers, as the "Metered" connection is going with individual wi-fi connections after the Windows Anniversary update.

• Re: VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT(atikmpag.sys)
          amdmatt

The HD5xxx series has reached peak optimisation and been moved to legacy status, there will not be any further driver updates for your product. More information available here.

The latest Crimson driver for your system is 16.2.1 and is available here.

The last Catalyst driver for your system is 15.11.1 Beta and is available here.

I would recommend using DDU to sweep your system of AMD drivers, and then trying the drivers above to see if they resolve your issue.