AnsweredAssumed Answered

Lot of failed R9 390 because of mining

Question asked by micho88 on Apr 8, 2017
Latest reply on Apr 10, 2017 by spinalfailed

Hello,

I am new here. I am computer engeneer with some years of hardware experiences.

I have a problem and need confirmation from you. I was working for a company  which hired me for set up some computer systems - for cryptocurrency mining with lot of gpus. I told superior (partner) that systems like that are not stable and there will be problems with overheating, but he did not really mind. So I set up 3 systems and later 2 more. Every system had 5 or 6 graphic card (R9 390 / R9 390x). It was mined quite stable for 2 or 3 months, then problems were starting. Systems was freezing, gpus were failed one after another. So superior took them on warranty service. In like 2 or 3 months I think 9 gpu failed, there was totally 30 gpus in 5 miners + one testing miner.

Also motherboards has only one PCIe 16x slot, so other gpus are connected over extenders (risers) from PCIe 1x.

It is classic miner without case.

So now my superior (partner) want refund of money which he paid me for setting up and maintenance of that mining system, because he think that is my fault that gpus are failing.

I know that hardware like this is made for gaming or work, but not for 24/7 mining on about 80 degrees(or 85 or even more) on graphic chip.

Do you agree with me?

Hardware is:

Asrock H81 PRO BTC

Intel Pentium CPU

8gb RAM

SSD drive

PSU: 1250W 80+ bronze (2x)

Outcomes