I'm a proud owner of a Sapphire R9 290x 8GB Vapor X and have had it for over a year. The card runs flawlessly, but only when Crimson 16.11.5 is installed.
- If I upgrade to 16.12, it doesn't matter if I'm idling, watching Youtube [within Chrome], or gaming, I'll get either a black screen with the audio still going before locking up, then it'll do one of two things. It'll either crash to a BSOD stating "Video_Schedule_Internal_Error" or it'll recover and have the notorious "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure" then continue like normal before crashing at a random time later.
- If I upgrade to 17.1, it's the same issue.
- If I upgrade to 17.2, the Wattman notification doesn't appear, but the black screen with audio playing still happens, as well as the two recoveries [BSOD or recovers and runs fine the rest of the night until next reset].
Any driver after that is exactly the same. For the first night or two, it will recover from the black screen with everything running perfect until next reboot, but then eventually it'll stop recovering and start showing that same BSOD.
Recreating the problem
The easiest way for me to recreate the problem is simply to boot the system, load up Chrome and start watching a Youtube video either fullscreen or windowed, then the time varies before it black screens. It could be 5 minutes, 10 minutes, or 20+ minutes. But as stated before, it can happen whilst using Chrome, Gaming, or even Idling.
Things I've noticed
Looking at the memory dumps it lists 4 files that could be the potential cause.
With the later drivers [after 16.11.5], the Crimson control panel will crash upon opening and search online for a solution. Then if tried to open again, it will open fine.
When the drivers crash, any current window that is open [whether it be chrome, explorer, other], the close/maximize/minimize buttons will be transparent and unclickable. If the window is closed and reopened, it will function just like normal.
So far I've tried.
-Motherboard Bios update
-Clean install drivers [from normal windows and safe mode] using DDU and the uninstall facility within the AMD drivers
-Switched PCIe speeds from Auto-gen1-and-gen2
-Switched inputs from DVI+DisplayPort->HMDI+DisplayPort
-Complete tear down of the graphics card, cleaned it out and reapplied thermal paste [also includes reseating it]
-Checked and updated all software and drivers
Describe your system:
- AMD Graphics Card
- Sapphire R9 290x 8GB Vapor X [SAPPHIRE Technology ]
- Desktop or Laptop System
- Desktop System
- Operating System
- Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
- Driver version installed
- Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.11.5
- Display Devices
- 27" BenQ XL2730Z (2560x1440@144Hz) via Displayport
- 24" BenQ GL2460 (1920x1080@59Hz) via HDMI [was DVI beforehand with the same problem]
- Asus Z97-Deluxe [Bios 2903] [Z97-DELUXE | Motherboards | ASUS Australia ]
- Intel i7 4790K @ 4.00Ghz
- Power Supply Unit Make, Model & Wattage
- Seasonic XP-1200 Platinum [https://seasonic.com/product/platinum-1200-2/ ]
- 16GB G.skill RipjawsX 2133Mhz [RipjawsX -F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL - G.SKILL DDR3 Memory ]
- Creative Sound Blaster ZxR
- Hard Drives
- 2x WD 1TB Green
- 1x WD 2TB Green
- 1x Samsung Evo 850 500GB
- 1x Samsung Evo 850 250GB M.2 [Boot/OS Drive]
040417-8906-01.dmp.zip 58.2 KB