18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2017 3:14 AM by tymkoijn1

Cpu Z validation Question

tymkoijn1

So I was looking thru some Stuff on CPU -Z and noticed something Weird. I had looked at my single core performance and noticed it was Higher that the I7 7700k. I know that CPU-z Is used for overclocking benchmarks but most people are saying that the I7 7700k's Single core performance is what makes it a better gaming CPU. plus the Stock speed of anI7- 7700k is 4.2GHz so how can my 1700 oc'ed to 4.1 beat it in Single thread performance. Not really sure what this would mean Here is the link to the validation score AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4091.71 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR   and for comparison this is the 4.0 clock Still beating it AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3991.91 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR Just really confused on the benchmarks, Am I missing something or did i just get really lucky in the silicon lottery.

• Re: Cpu Z validation Question
          spinalfailed

First off you need to know that not all CPU's are created equal.  With that said it looks like the is a little bit of silicon lottery going both ways.  You probably have a fairly decent overclocking CPU(I haven't searched to find the median Ryzen numbers) and the 7700 that is listed does not say(at least I'm not seeing it on mobile even in desktop mode) if it's stock or being overclocked and if it is, by how much.  People are relying far too much on benchmarks which beyond testing usage after making changes really offers nothing in the way of real world day to day use.  Are you really going to push it to 100% every time you use your PC? Does it really matter if you get 164 fps versus 175fps in some games?  People get to wrapped up in the numbers, enjoy your new PC! 

tymkoijn1

I'm not really concerned with the benchmarks I just thought it was strange and wondering if anyone had some input on what the single core benchmarks mean. Did the reviewers that I watched get a piece that wasn't as good as most people will get? Is the Chip being properly tested in order to give us the consumers a fair comparison. I know Ryzen is not a gaming CPU, but I do Content Creation and Streaming. When I bought mine that was the purpose. So, I do have to weigh the Single core and Multicore performance. If a game is running at 60 not 45 it makes a difference if your stream is set to 1080 60fps and 1080 30fps, How much Performance hit do I take when running this application as opposed to another. All of these things are what have to be considered when choosing a CPU and I am just trying to see what the Single core benchmark can mean in relation to that. 

plutonium_isotope

decent? 4.1 on a 1700 puts it in the top 99th percentile

curoamarsalus

In my understanding, (someone correct me if wrong) single core performance is best checked when clock speeds are the same. That said, Ryzen has better single core performance, but the 7700k has a much higher clock speed that makes it "faster."

tymkoijn1

The Reviews are all different on a lot of them, Some they say Clock for Clock Intel is faster while others say Ryzen is. been trying to figure out which one is right, that's why I said I was confused about the scores. 

spinalfailed

Not just identical clock speeds but you really need to compare like hardware to like hardware as much as you can anyway.  Different RAM, Motherboard, Cooling, even a different PSU can all effect the end results.  Even if all of that is as close as you can get there is still a natural tiny variance from chip to chip and test to test.  Is the 7700k faster? In some stuff it can be.  Ryzen, especially the R7 line, is meant as a do it all at the same time type of solution.  It may not necessarily give you the fastest speed out of all available options but when you factor in the price and and multi-tasking performance even beyond being a fanboy for Red or Blue it really is an impressive release.  Sure it has a few bugs but all new tech typically has some growing pains!  I can't wait until I can get my hands on one and run it through it's paces and see just how well it multi-tasks in real world stuff and not just benchmarks!

tymkoijn1

The multi-tasking is really good, I usually will record a vlog style video while I have a video rendering in the background and I usually have a lot of things open. most of the time while recording and playing a game, I only have at most 60 to 70 percent usage. And in all honesty, the games run a lot smoother than with any other chip I have ever had. the frames do not fluctuate while running, R7 seems like a really good chip for content creation but if all your doing is just light multitasking and light content creation then your better off going with the R5 options coming on the 11th. If you are just looking for a gaming chip go with the R5 or at most R7 1700, I only ask about the single core bench in my CPU z because i do not have multiple Ryzen chips to test and find if mine was just a lucky buy on the 1700

tymkoijn1

From what I can tell, the stock settings on my 1700 were about standard, but when I overclocked that's when I started seeing differences. But from what you are all saying, it seams I got lucky lol. Just wanted to know is all

mjpbmp

They can only wish each wafer came out perfectly.  It is more than the chip.  The entire system has to run well together and it is apparent that you got your tuned really well.  Enjoy.

tymkoijn1

Actually, I just changed out my mobo, cpu, and ram from my fx 9590  build, the main thing helping me with the overclock I think is that I went with a triple rad AIO. I wish that I could get some higher clocked ram to really see how my scores will change, right now I'm using 2133 value ram. If I put in some 3200 ram My Scores might be better.