7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2017 3:46 AM by galatian

R9 295x2 not utilizing the second GPU

naleek

Lately, I've been noticing my R9 295x2 has not been using the second GPU. There is no longer a crossfire option in the Radeon Settings application, GPU-Z and Speccy both show that only one of the GPUs is being detected. Any assistance is appreciated, thank you! amdmatt

• AMD Graphics Card:
        • XFX AMD Radeon R9 295X2 Hydra Edition
      • Desktop or Laptop System:
        • Desktop
      • Operating System:
        • Windows 10 64bit
      • Driver version installed:
        • Radeon Software Crimson Edition 17.2.1
      • Display Devices:
        • Nixeus Vue 24" NX-VUE24A 1920x1080 @144Hz Displayport Connection
        • Nixeus Vue 24" NX-VUE24A 1920x1080 @144Hz Displayport Connection
      • Motherboard
        • PRIME X370-PRO
      • CPU/APU
        • AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
      • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
        • Corsair HX850 80 PLUS GOLD (CP-9020032-NA)
      • RAM
        • Corsair Vengence LPX 16GB @ 2133mhz
        • Re: R9 295x2 not utilizing the second GPU
          amdmatt

Please update to our latest driver Crimson 17.4.1. Do you have a global option to turn frame pacing on and off?

naleek

amdmatt , I've done what you asked. I don't think I have the option in the global menu.

global settings 4-10-17.pngone gpu 4-10-17.PNG

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  galatian

I'm going to chime in here. I have two R9 290X crossfired and ever since I updated to 17.4.1 I can't untilize the second R9. It will show Crossfire is enable, but it's like with the ReLive Version from earlier this year, whenyou couldn't use Wattman on your secondary card. Further I just fired up Black Ops III and I had dog slow 17 FPS, when it was totally fine yesterday. I always do a complete uninstall/install sequence btw. Something is really fishy with the newest driver. I'm reverting back to the old driver.

Oh and btw. a lot of people (myself included) are still reporting about problems installing the driver directly from the Radeons Setting. I still have to manually download the file from amd.com or an affiliated site to actually get the update going.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                orfie

I have a 295x2 and a 290x running, however since I updated drivers, I now only see one GPU from the 295x2 as well.

naleek

Yeah, I don't know what the problem is... hopefully amdmatt can help us out on this. The status always shows Crossfire as "Disabled" and I can only see one card too.

amdmatt

Are you using the Windows 10 Creators update?

I would recommend updating to Crimson 17.4.3 and checking the issue status. If the same issue occurs after that, i would try a clean install of Windows as this is not expected behaviour and I'm wondering if a dirty OS could be the culprit.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                            galatian

I did the exact opposite: just installed the Creators Update and now the newest WHQL driver 17.4.3. Still can't use Wattman anymore for the secondary Card, unless I manually disable Crossfire, use a second Monitor, apply Wattman settings on the secondary card and then enable Crossfire again. At least Crossfire is now actually on in Games - just tested with Anno 2205. Of course after just firing my PC up this morning I receive the message: Wattman has encountered a problem and reset to defaults or something like that...up to do it all again.

This machine is only for Games; I don't install anything else but Windows and Games on it. I haven't updated the Hardware for a few years now (how about a real Update for my two R9 290X AMD?). I usually keep the software very clean. So I don't really believe Windows is it at fault, nor do I really want to reinstall Windows and all my games. Make Vega great and the issue will disappear that way though ;-)