1 Reply Latest reply on May 16, 2017 12:28 AM by profmycroft

Wattman won't save my undervolting changes

bumi

So here's the deal:

I own an RX470 Nitro+ 8G on Windows 7 and basically everything's running smooth. But from time to time (not always, which is very weird), my undervolting changes are not being saved and will be resetted back to defaults.

What I've done is:

- Fan speed to a max of 1900rpm

- max temperature up to 77°c

- lower the core voltage to 1031, 1055 and 1080 on the last 3 states.

No matter if I choose different settings or not, it's being resetted on a regular basis. I'm using driver 17.2.1, but I've had this problem for months now, using both older and newer drivers. Could it be, that this has got anything to do with me playing Overwatch?

I only found out about this when having the OSD enabled (MSI Afterburner) to check for temps, fan speed, etc. during gameplay, since Overwatch tends to put a full load on GPU and makes the fan spin quite loudly. Other games are not that heavy and I haven't noticed and wattman-reset after playing something else.

P.S. I'm unly using the Afterburner for the OSD, everything else is being handled by Wattman.

• Re: Wattman won't save my undervolting changes
          profmycroft

Same issue here.

Installed two identical GPU (Rog/Strix RX-480/8Gb) that seem to function Ok. With Crossfire turned off & GPU Core Voltage reduced.

Added the same Under-Volting to both video cards via Wattman & this is accepted and works for a while. But every now and then, about once per day, it drops out and back to the normalised, unchanged values. (With all undervaluing values reverted).

BUT.. this Only occurs on ONE of the Cards! However, after the reset, it contuses to work (but with much greater Wattage in this case).

I've observed no trigger, cause or concurrent-action to explain it. The other GPU retains it's values and is apparently unaffected.

SO, why is this occurring & how can it be remedied?