9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2017 12:05 AM by black_zion

Graphic card compatibility with system

berk21

I'm wondering if someone can help me with compatibility question? I have a Gigabyte GA880GM-USB3 Mobo w/ 500w power supply  WIN7 and just bought a Radeon RX470. is this going to work?

• Re: Graphic card compatibility with system
          black_zion

1) Does the motherboard have UEFI?

Yes - Go to 2.

No - Incompatible.

2) Does that power supply have a single +12v power delivery rail rated at a minimum of 35A?

Yes - Compatible.

No - Incompatible.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            berk21

1) Does the motherboard have UEFI?

Yes - Go to 2.

No - Incompatible.

2) Does that power supply have a single +12v power delivery rail rated at a minimum of 35A?

Yes - Compatible.

No - Incompatible.

I'm not familiar with UEFI...with that said I dont believe so...how would i have known if nothing on the box refered to that? just keep up with technology i guess? lol

the power supply does have a dedicated 6 pin, not sure what its rated for..

black_zion

If you can use a mouse in BIOS, it is UEFI. What is the make and model of your PSU?

berk21

ok so no I do not have a UEFI functional BIOS...

the PSU is a PIXXO PL500RPF

your 100% sure its not compatible? I'm getting mixed input..but I would want to trust the people that work for the company that manufactured it

black_zion

I'll make it clear: DO NOT BUY A NEW GRAPHICS CARD! Your power supply is what we call a Chinese Firecracker. It's rated for 33 amps at +12v combined, which is only 396w, meaning you effectively have a 396w PSU, or you did when it was new, capacity decreases ~2% per year due to aging, and since it's split into two rails everything except the CPU has to share 203w (minus 2% per year old it is), including fans and drives, so you're incompatible on both fronts. Buy a quality unit, like a Corsair 550-650w, and then you can buy a graphics card, but without UEFI any modern card after the HD 7000 series has a good chance of errors.

2 of 2 people found this helpful