8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2017 9:04 PM by ajlueke

Strategies for overclocking Ryzen

tymkoijn1

Ok So I was on the Red Team Discord and we were talking about the Ryzen Master utility and if we use it. It made me think about how many different methods there are for overclocking. So here is Mine be sure to leave your method in the comments. First I find the max stable overclock that I can use on my chip. then I use the Master utility to work up running quick stress tests till I find a clock that it can't hit. Then Using the last overclock in Master as my base for my new bios Overclock I repeat the process. once I get to an overclock where I can not go further I dial in the last stable overclock and using the Master Utility set my SOC voltage and apply it. I was able to get to 4.1 on a 1700 this way. What are your methods? note: Using an MSI B350M Gaming Pro.

• Re: Strategies for overclocking Ryzen
          t1m1d

Sounds like a good idea, I've always just done it straight from the BIOS. Your method sounds like it could save quite a few restarts trying to fine-tune things.

What SOC voltage do you use, btw?

• Re: Strategies for overclocking Ryzen
            ajlueke

I have done all my overclocking through the UEFI interface however.  Ryzen master has been installed only because it seems to be the best tool for displaying accurate voltages.  Overclocking begins with a cursory glance at the manufacturer recommended voltages for the CPU and chipset.  In this case, AMD has stated that vCore voltages of 1.4 should be fine for everyday use, while 1.45 will start to degrade the life of the chip.

So, I set my VCore voltage at 1.4 in stable mode, and the load level calibration at 5, and begin scaling up the multiplier.  Once the system becomes unstable, I raise the load level calibration up to level 4 and level 3 to see if the system regains stability.   If it is still unstable I monitor temps on the VRM and try to go up to load level 2 if the temps are still acceptable.  I don't advise setting the load calibration level to 1 as voltage rise can result and carry the voltage well above 1.4 under load.  Once I find the highest possible stable frequency at 1.4V I start to scale down the voltage until that overclock becomes unstable.  Then I know the minimum voltage I need to maintain that maximum overclock.

I repeat a similar process for overclocking the RAM using the SOC voltage.  Currently I am at 1.39375V for 4.1 GHz.  The system has been 100% stable through days of uptime, a few gaming sessions and a few Firestrike stress tests.  Load level calibration is set to level 3.  I'll keep dropping the voltage down little by little until I lose that overclock, then I'll bring it back up a bit and call it good.  Currently my RAM is at 14-16-16-36 at 3200MHz with the DRAM voltage at 1.35 (max recommended for Ryzen), and an SOC voltage of 1.1.  I have been bringing the SOC voltage down from the max recommended 1.2 and so far everything is perfectly stable at 1.1V.

Interestingly, even with the VCorve at 1.4 and the SOC voltage at 1.2, the VRMs never really get that hot.  I'm not sure if that is due to the 16 phase design of the ASRock board I am using?  But the thermals seem pretty modest even at AMDs max recommended settings for overclocking.