19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2017 2:07 AM by georgefern

Should I use RX 480 XFX in my computer?

thelastraider

Hello guys, I hope you have a great day. I decided to upgrade my old graphics card with XFX Radeon RS RX 480 8GB and before I do this I want to ask some questions. First of all I already decided that I'm going to buy RX 480 8GB, But have not decided which one is better for me. Thing is that I don't have custom rig build so my PC doesn't have great cooling. I was thinking to go for just regular blower style RX 480 but just when I go to Newegg.com to order it I saw this one XFX Radeon RS RX 480 DirectX 12 RX-480P836BM 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card-Newegg.com , also see YouTube video about it and now I'm stuck. This RX 480 performs better and stays more quiet then regular RX 480 and also stays under 60'C. As I said my PC sucks when it comes to cooling so could you tell me if this card will explode my computer? Thanks a lot.

• Re: Should I use RX 480 XFX in my computer?
          stoggy28

i know alot of us are using Amazon.com: XFX RX-480P8DFA6 AMD Radeon GTR 8GB GDDR5 DVI/HDMI/3Displayport PCI-Express Video Card: Computers & Accessor…  this card is amazing and after testing 3 other 480's this one has been the best by far for sound and cooling and overclocking

tecdet

It can only give you trouble if the card comes with defect from factory.  I have XFX graphic card on my computer (older than your) and it work perfectly.  I got the R7750 Core Edition and it never give me problem; It works perfectly in Dell OptiPlex 745, Pentium D Extreme 3.73 GHz / 8 GBs RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64.  XFX makes good gaphic cards.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
              spinalfailed

Before you just go buy a new GPU. What are the specs on your current PC and/or how old is it? What size is the PSU? Do you have the necessary pci-e connector to power a 480?  For those not familiar with adding new hardware there is more to it than just picking something out and stuffing it in the slot.  A bad experience due to expectation versus reality can turn someone off of PCs because it never worked right when it was a matter of improper or incompatible parts chosen.

colesdav

Hi,

We really need to know your specifications first.

Check how much RAM you have. Have you got enough to run the programs you want? If not go and buy some new RAM sticks.

Then consider your GPU Upgrade.

- What PCIe support does your motherboard have.

- Check your PSU can supply enough power & has the correct connectors & enough room in your case.

- Check what type of CPU you have. Provided it is not too old/low performance a GPU upgrade will be worth it.

I helped someone on Steam forum just recently and they ended up buying an XFX RX480 Black Edition card based on my recommendation.

They were going to go Nvidia 1060 but I managed to persuade them otherwise based on latest benchmarking, DX12, Crossfire vs No SLI, Crimson ReLive, and Vulkan Performance Data.

They had a really old specification PC and were saving to replace PC components in stages.

They wanted to improve their Gaming Performance as soon as possible.
                Provided it can be done, a new, modern GPU will likely give best performance leap.

It worked. They bought an RX480, and are now playing games they couldn't run before / game FPS has shot up versus running old GPU.

They did say that they would do a Youtube Video to show how adding a new GPU to an Old PC can really help performance improvement.

Not seen it yet. Next they are saving up for new Ryzen Motherboard and CPU.

You might want to hold off because the RX580 cards are just about to be announced/released.
                Expect slightly higher clock speeds,  better performance, and maybe some other improvements to the RX480 cards.

If you cannot wait, at the moment an RX480 4GB or 8GB is the best choice for High Performance Mid Range card which is also future proofed vs Nvidia cards.

I think the XFX Black Edition RX480 8GB to be the one of the best based on numerous reviews because it has some hardware based overclock control.

The Sapphire RX 480 Nitro 8GB is also a great choice. I think it is one of the smallest RX 480.

I have also seen a new ASUS RX480 which I was considering to buy recently. You might want to look at what they offer.

They seem to be low price but high performance.

Bye.

colesdav

RE: As I said my PC sucks when it comes to cooling so could you tell me if this card will explode my computer?

Very unlikely indeed, if you PSU is o.k. and your Motherboard has correct PCIe slots and is receiving power OK then you should be fine.

Regarding Cooler Style:

A. Blower out the back.

B. Fans on the top of the GPU exhausting inside the case. (many will also push some exhaust out the back as well).

If you have a small form factor case / build with absolutely no case fans /case ventilation for quieter operation then ...
                  blower out the back is probably best / possibly only option.

Even so... a few questions:

(1).What style is your existing GPU and what Power Consumption does it have? Can you point to the existing GPU specification?

(2). What case do you have? Could you please point to a case specification / guide?

(3). What is the ambient temperature of the case when you are gaming / running with existing CPU and GPU in intensive benchmark in the existing case.  

Measure just below / near where the Graphics Card will sit.

You will need to measure and report total input power to your PC in this condition and run the benchmark for as long as possible  so temps start to stabilise inside the case. Also please measure the temps in other areas of the case with your existing setup.

You need to measure Room Temperature in the area outside the case, away from any exhaust from the PC as well and report that.

(4). You need to know how much much Power your existing GPU uses and compare it to how much an RX480 uses.

(5). As long as you have enough room above and below the GPU to allow airflow in and out of the GPU itself you should be
                  ok to go for a  card that exhausts inside the case, other factors aside. 

(6). Does your existing case have a side panel facing the GPU you could open when gaming / benchmarking if needed?

Based on the above data it should be possible to estimate likely maximum internal case temperature change you would see with an RX480 versus your existing GPU.
                  Then you can decide what to do next.

thelastraider

I have EVGA 500 B1, 80+ BRONZE 500W Power Supply. also I have factory build (not small) case without case fans. my motherboard has 6 pin 8 pin PCI's slots. My existing GPU is GTX 650 MSI 1G. I used this card for banchmark. CPU never go up 50'C and my GPU up 60'C. case temperature never go up 35'C (I think it's good) My room temperature is about 26'C. My case also have enough room for GPU. and yes my case has side panel.

there's my specs:

motherboard: DDR3 ASUS something something

CPU: intel core i-5 6500

GPU: GTX 650 MSI 1G

Power Supply: EVGA 500 B1 80+ BRONZE 500W

thanks a lot

colesdav

(1). Is this your card?
                          Card: N650-1GD5/OC | Graphics card - The world leader in display performance | MSI Global

Datasheet: https://www.msi.com/pdf/presale/N650-1GD5OC

I really need to know because if it is, it is exhausting air inside your case.

I am looking for information on TDP of this card.
                          Based on review here: MSI GeForce GTX 650 Power Edition OC 1 GB Review | techPowerUp

It has TDP info here: MSI GeForce GTX 650 Power Edition OC 1 GB Review | techPowerUp

Peak Power Draw for this card is 48 Watts during Gaming.

Maximum Power Draw during Furmark Stress Tests Benchmark ... which is type of

Benchmark  I am asking your temperature measurements  to be based on is ~ 65 Watts. 

(2). Please get the exact Motherboard information. You should be able to download and run an Asus Utility to tell you this information.
                          If not then try something like SiSoft Sandra Lite or look at BIOS information to see if it tells you anything.

"DDR3 ASUS something something" doesn't give me much to go on.

(3). Is this your CPU spec? If so it has 65W TDP and that's all the info I needed there.
                          Intel® Core™ i5-6500 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz) Product Specifications

(4). RE: CPU never go up 50'C and my GPU up 60'C.

By "up" do you mean above?

Are you talking temps reported by CPUz or physical measurements externally on the chip casing / heatsink?

The GPU Temp of ~ 60'C during benchmarking seems o.k. for this card.

(5). RE:  Case temperature never go up 35'C (I think it's good) My room temperature is about 26'C.

Yes that is good if that is your stable temperature increase you see after long term benchmarking that is o.k.

(6). RE: My case also have enough room for GPU. and yes my case has side panel.
                          That's brilliant news because if you are O.K. with it you can always open the side panel of the case
                          to let heat out of the case anyhow if you really need to.

If you get back to me and confirm the above I will give you an estimated internal case temp rise based on this.
                          Thanks again.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              thelastraider

Asus uATX DDR3 AM3+ AMD 760G + SB710 USB 3.0 HDMI uATX AMD Motherboard. yeap it's exactly

my CPU spec. yes when I said "up" I mean above. and the temps was reported by CPU. thanks a lot for your help.

colesdav

Please look again and check what your motherboard is.

You mention AM3+.

That is a CPU Socket for AMD processors.

I do not think an AM3+ AMD CPU Socket will work with with CPU: Intel core i-5 6500.

Please look at your PC Specs again and double check exactly what you have.

I want to help you get an answer to your question.

If you are new to PC / Inexperienced with using PC,  I understand, no problem.

Everyone has to start somewhere. I did. I am still learning.

However I cannot help you with an answer unless you give me valid input data.

Please remember I answer voluntarily on this forum, by way of giving back to others who have helped me out in the past.

However it does take time to answer questions and if you give the correct data it makes it more likely I and others on the forum

will take the time to answer your questions.

Thanks

spinalfailed

He has a Skylake build with an adequate PSU. He does NOT need to do all sorts of testing.  Telling someone they need to do all that, especially if they are computer illiterate, is going to push them away from PCs due to it being too complicated.thelastraider  the only concern i have with your setup is the lack of proper cooling.  No matter what GPU you put in you may have some thermal throttling.  The Good news is that if it happens, you can swap everything into a cheaper case like a $60 NZXT 340 or similar case.

colesdav

I am not sure exactly what set up / motherboard the Original Poster has, as I still need accurate Motherboard information and I need to know what the max power input conditions and temps he could experience when gaming or running an application.

It is not that complicated to calculate a reasonably accurate temperature rise once you know the power input with the existing setup, and the difference in Max Power Consumption Specification of both GPU's.

To get worst case Temps and Stress all is needed is to download and run something like Furmark or other CPU&GPU stressing benchmark of your choice, install it, run it, measure stable temperatures at a few points. Report the Peak CPU and GPU Temperatures seen.  None of this is "Rocket Science" and it should be possible for anyone to do who can use a PC, and a thermometer.

Once I get the data I need I can give him an answer of what temp rise he will see with his PC case closed.
                                      I will do the calculation for the Original Poster.
                                      Until I get accurate input data I do no more.

colesdav

Forgot to mention ... you need to measure and report total input power to your PC during you CPU and GPU stress testing benchmark

for accurate result. Otherwise I could only provide an estimated worst case figure.

amdfx6300rx480

You may change to XFX GTR as RS is known for issues.

Also MSI would be a great choice.

spinalfailed

thelastraider  you are posting extremely conflicting information that makes it impossible to help.  You first posted your pc had these components

"

I have EVGA 500 B1, 80+ BRONZE 500W Power Supply. also I have factory build (not small) case without case fans. my motherboard has 6 pin 8 pin PCI's slots. My existing GPU is GTX 650 MSI 1G. I used this card for banchmark. CPU never go up 50'C and my GPU up 60'C. case temperature never go up 35'C (I think it's good) My room temperature is about 26'C. My case also have enough room for GPU. and yes my case has side panel.

there's my specs:

motherboard: DDR3 ASUS something something

CPU: intel core i-5 6500

GPU: GTX 650 MSI 1G

Power Supply: EVGA 500 B1 80+ BRONZE 500W

thanks a lot "

You then posted your are using this motherboard which is absolutely impossible if you have an i5 6500

"

Asus uATX DDR3 AM3+ AMD 760G + SB710 USB 3.0 HDMI uATX AMD Motherboard. yeap it's exactly

my CPU spec. yes when I said "up" I mean above. and the temps was reported by CPU. thanks a lot for your help."

georgefern

I use this one. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150782

My computer is 100% air cooled with an FX-8350 CPU with a Cooler Master Hyper T4, no issues with the card or computer not staying cool. When I play games with high/ultra graphics at 144fps the fans do ramp up when needed, they are not crazy loud, but are noticeable.

Your computer will not blow up using the XFX cards.