3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2017 4:12 PM by sootcoot

Which GPU to choose?

sootcoot

Im thinking of upgrading my gpu, currently has the Sapphire hd7950. I upgraded my pc with a AMD-midrange pack 6 months ago, a gpu wasnt included. I wonder how much the difference is between RX 470 8GB and RX 480 4GB. And which of the cards you would recommend getting? They are priced exactly the same. (Im going to upgrade to 16gb ram at same time).

I mainly play games but also tinker in blender and plan to learn Unreal engine 3.

Current hardware is:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition @ 4.0 Ghz

RAM: HyperX Fury 2x4GB DDR3 1600 MHz/s

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3Gb GDDR5

Mobo: Asus M5A97 R2.0,socket AM3+

HDD: HyperX Fury SSD 120GB

Secondary HDD: Seagate SSHD 2TB

PSU: Silver Power SP-SS500 500W

• Re: Which GPU to choose?

Hello sootcoot,

After taking a look at Wikipedia.org, List of AMD graphics processing units - Wikipedia , I would suggest you choose RX 480 4GB, if its price is the same as the RX 470 8GB. The reason is quite obvious, 2304:144:32 vs 2048:128:32 (GPU cores configuration). The GPU memory is important, but the computing resource is much more important when playing video games, Graphical design and/or General Purpose Computing, yeah, the more the better. I know you are going to upgrade your system memory up to 16GB, and if GPU needs more memory if could also share the system memory. So 8GB video memory is not that huge as you can see for it. Anyway, this is only my opinion. You have your own choice, I just wish you good luck!

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            black_zion

Go with the RX 480, it's 67% faster than the 7950 while the RX 470 is only 49% faster. As to which I'd choose, it'd be the Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro 4GB.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              sootcoot

Thanks to both of you. Guess im getting the rx 480 then.