5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2017 8:12 AM by kw1965

Microsoft's auto update for Windows 10

kw1965

Microsoft's auto update for Windows 10 on my laptop keeps installing an out of date AMD Readon(TM) R5 Graphics Driver version 15.201.1101.0 dated 06/08/2015 and I have to keep rolling back to the previous driver version 21.19.519.2 dated 10/02/2017. Microsoft support is of no help as they want me to give them control of my laptop so that they can update my driver which is already up to date. Is there any possibility that AMD Readon could ask Microsoft to delete all the outdated R5 graphics drivers from their auto up date system but to keep them on their update catalog.

• Re: Microsoft's auto update for Windows 10
            kw1965

I understand that Microsoft does automatic updates and that it is possible for me to change it to manual updates but that is not the problem. The problem is Microsoft instead of installing a new R5 graphics driver or at least the newest one I already installed via AMD Readon settings (21.19.519.2)  that they are

actually installing a R5 graphics driver (15.201.1101.0) which is almost 2 years old.  Microsoft's Windows 10 updates are always current as far as I know.

kingfish

Microsoft only has WHQL drivers. If you install a beta or non-WHQL driver...Microsoft will install the latest WHQL automatically.

You say your laptop has a R5 graphics. That may be so, but what is the processor? APU or Intel. That determines the correct driver.

Laptop graphics update...How to

kw1965

The latest WHQL Driver that Microsoft would install would be the approved version of the AMD Readon(TM) R 5 Graphics Driver version 21.19.519.2 dated 10/02/2017 or at least it's nearest predecessor from 2016. Not one from back in 2015.

The driver mentioned above is the correct driver though not WHQL version. I did the update of the R 5 Graphics driver through AMD Readon settings. Your still not getting it. The driver that Microsoft is trying to install is an out of date/obsolete/useless R 5 graphics driver dated in the year 2015 that causes problems on my laptop where I am unable to open AMD Readon settings and can only enter Device Manager and roll back to the R 5 Graphics driver dated in the year 2017. I cannot use the update in the Device Manager as it may update to a faulty R 5 Graphics driver dated in the year 2016 which was a WHQL version which would force me to do a full reset of my computer.

I would like AMD Readon to ask Microsoft to remove or stop all  out of date/obsolete/faulty drivers older than 2017 to avoid all the problem from 2016.

kw1965

Almost forgot but if you click on the "Control Panel" and then click on "System", then you would see your computer system info, processor, graphics driver etc but I do not need this as the updates for the graphic driver would need to be correct or the computer would not function and you may need to do either a restore if at all possible or most likely do a factory reset to undo the damage.

You do not need to have WHQL drivers as the Beta drivers works just as well. Also I noticed last year that with the Beta drivers you can by pass a faulty driver or go back to an older version and you can stay with that driver until a new one becomes available.  The WHQL drivers that are faulty cannot be by passed and though you can do a roll back to an older version, you cannot stay with that driver as on the next update faulty driver is re-installed again and again etc etc,.until you get it stopped by Microsoft support.

I prefer the Beta Drivers as there is less problems with them.