4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2017 3:00 PM by randa71

Ryzen CPU TctlMAX

randa71

Hello everybody. I have this question: what is TCTL MAX for 1700, 1700X and 1800X? I know that 1700X and 1800X have an offset of 20°. 1700 doesn't have. So if i assume that max CPU temp is 95°, as i've read in the web, 95 is for 1700 or for 1700X/1800X? Because if 95° is MAX TCTL temp for 1700, Max Tctl temp for 1700X and 1800X is 115° (95°+20°). If 95° is for 1700X/1800X max Tctl for 1700 is 75°. Latest AIDA64 version which supports AMD Ryzen, in CPUID tab, reports 115° as TctlMAX....i don't know if it's correct or no. Eventually 1700 owners can report what's indicated? Thanks a lot.  

• Re: Ryzen CPU TctlMAX
          amdmatt

You'll need to check with Aida64 to find out what that refers to.

• Re: Ryzen CPU TctlMAX
            mistered

From the AMD Ryzen Community Update blog: "The primary temperature reporting sensor ...may be offset on certain CPU models so that all models on the AM4 Platform have the same maximum tCTL value. This approach ensures that all AMD Ryzen processors have a consistent fan policy."

Even then AMD has not said what the actual maximum tCTL value is for any of the Ryzen CPUs.

I have the AMD Ryzen 1700X and the ASUS Prime X370-Pro motherboard. ASUS has done something to address fan speeds in their latest BIOS update. They apparently are no longer using the higher tCTL temperature to control the CPU fan speed.

I could see that with the HWInfo64 program. It shows two CPU temperatures:

CPU [#0]: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X

* CPU (Tctl)

ASUS PRIME X370-PRO (ITE IT8665E)

* CPU

The CPU (Tctl) and CPU temperatures used to be about the same. Now the CPU (Tctl) is up to 20C higher then the CPU one. Also there seems to be a lag in the CPU temperature change. In other words when the CPU (Tctl) temperatures changes there might a several second delay before the CPU temperatures also changes.

When I ran Prime95 I noticed that the CPU fan speed tracked the changes in the CPU temperature not CPU (Tctl) one.

I used the ASUS AI Suite 3 program to auto-overclock my system. During the optimization test it found the maximum CPU speed by starting with 3400 MHz and slowly increasing the speed. It maxed out just over 4000 MHz. It was a little unnerving to see the CPU temperature during the tests rise as high as 96C.