AnsweredAssumed Answered

Why has AMD abandoned it's Linux drivers?

Question asked by cloudlion_ca on Mar 30, 2017
Latest reply on Mar 31, 2017 by black_zion

I recently had to replace a motherboard that supported an AMD cpu and two AMD video cards configured to use Crossfire in Linux and Windows.

I had to switch to an Intel i5 because of Virualization technology that didn't work well with AMD cpus.

I'm here in the wilderness installing OpenSuSE 42.2. I discover that the AMD driver for Radeon R9 270X royalQueen cards isn't supported in OpenSuSE. On the opensuse website the posted suggestion is that AMD has abandoned Linux driver support.

I'll never buy another AMD product regardless how fast the cpus and how cool the video cards perform. I stopped buying Nvidia products years ago because Nvidia didn't support Linux. I'm prepared to spend the rest of my life "not" buying AMD products thanks to the experience I'm living through presently.

You want to tie the AMD boat to the Windows dock..... so be it. I most certainly will watch developments. I won't buy a Mac pro with AMD video technology now. I suppose I'll have to start begging Intel to provide better Linux support.

I'm a Canadian and I've actively tried to support AMD ever since it bought ATI. ATI use to be a Canadian company. So... where does AMD expect it will land after abandoning it's Linux driver support?

If Nvidia starts kicking up it's Linux driver support I'll replace two AMD video cards with Nvidia cards.

Outcomes