9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2017 1:47 PM by ambrose

Hype fading

alonzotg

I'm starting to feel a tinge, but not full-on buyer's remorse for my 1800X. I'm finally getting close to getting a mobo, the models I had been looking at have all been out of stock and are only finally beginning to catch up with demand. =\

Having this extra time to contemplate the chip I have come to realize that it's not really the micro-mainframe I wanted but more of a refresh to the FM2+ and not the AM3 platform... So yeah, the naming of the socket is very misleading. =(   

So basically the AM4 platform is not a flagship platform but rather a very very entry-level platform. Which is actually a stunningly remarkable statement given that people tend to compare Ryzen with Intel's flagship desktops... Think of how obnoxious the statement AMD is making to Intel, that their entry level platform can tangle with the best Intel has...

That said, I'm still going ahead with installing the 1800X because my comp here is rocking a 1090T (running linux) and is getting pretty rusty... Over the coming years I plan to retire the [****] overheating A88X based motherboard in my other machine (mATX) with this one, and then get a full sized mobo for the next long-term platform

I really want to have a spare x16 slot because I anticipate wanting to run additional types of boards such as for advanced AI and/or physics calculations such as a next generation, um, Xeon-Phi. So yeah, the "AM4" platform really can't justifiably be put on a full ATX or larger board, mATX is probably the sweet spot...

Once again, the A88X must die a cruel, horrible death and then burn for a million years....

The fly in what I just wrote is that my secondary machine, like about 45% of the machines out there is running Win 7, so I'm not sure what AMD can do to Microsoft to provide support, I think a lawsuit is justifiable.

• Re: Hype fading
          gkeawe

Intel is doing the same thing with its Kaby Lake and newer CPU's. The adoption rate for Windows 10 is pretty low because Microsoft did a good job with Window 7. The move to migrate users to Windows 10 is a move to help secure consumer PC's as well as corporate PC's and workstations, not to mention new and updated features that come with Windows 10. When will people stop resisting change. The DirectX 12 support alone is worth installing Windows 10.

kingfish

Here's a few reasons why:

Microsoft claims 10 million 'fans' help it test Windows 10, but it's sure got a funny definition of that word - ExtremeT…

The company’s claim to always be learning from fans is insulting given the ways it has previously claimed to “learn” from its users. If you take Microsoft’s word for it, the company never learned the following, despite decades in the computing business:

It is farcical for Microsoft to pretend that it’s built a new and better Windows based on listening to what fans want when Windows 10, to date, has been two middle fingers shoved in the air at users who want some modicum of control over what data their machine shares and how it shares it. What really makes the situation hilarious is that Mehdi appears to actually believe his own codswallop.

gkeawe

Microsoft has built a new and better Windows, resistance in futile. All the bullets you have mentioned have been addressed and have already been implemented. The consumer has to take some responsibility in their refusal to upgrade, by not doing so has its risks that must me taken into consideration.

alonzotg

Indeed, Windows 7 is the latest version of Windows, "Win 8" is a stupid tabloid OS and this so-called Windows 10 is a malware product masquerading as an OS. I never said anything about "upgrading" to any newer version of windows on that machine. Indeed, the version of Windows I had prior to getting Win 7 was 3.11.

mistered

You haven't bought a new copy of Windows in over 20 years? I used WFW 3.11 for only a few months until I was able to obtain a beta copy of Windows 95. The beta with all its flaws was much better than WFW 3.11 ever was. The look and feel of Windows 7 traces back directly to Windows 95.

If I thought I had a choice I would have installed Windows 7 Pro on my Ryzen system. Since Microsoft is determined to force people to use Windows 10 I relented and went with it. I could have bought a copy of Windows 7 to just see how long I could hold out but I figured why bother. Sooner rather than later I would have ended up with Windows 10 anyways.

I also worry about the heavy way Microsoft is treating its customers and the so called telemetry it is gathering. At some point I plan to dig into it and disable a much of it as I can.

goodplay

There are many Tutorials here tenforums.com/

ambrose

Mistered " I also worry about the heavy way Microsoft is treating its customers and the so called telemetry it is gathering. At some point I plan to dig into it and disable as much of it as I can ".

This seems rather odd, you in some ways are for W10 because of an eventuality, but then you say that?????? Do you Trust W10 or Not ?

As the answer would have to be no, as to that comment, then why not just hold out and use W7 or other OS until you have no other choice but to switch?  Reads to me like you didn't have the intestinal fortitude to stick to your guns and resist.

As some have said resistance is futile, that may be true, but I am not going to make it any easier for M$ to keep their eyes on me, and I see enough ads in my daily computing and TV watching now I don't need even more, and tailored to me, to boot.

When I feel that M$ has given me back my control with a W10 change over then I won't be so skeptical of it, until I read some good articals attributing to that fact I am pleased with my W7, enough to stay far away from w10, until my computer melts if I have to.

Cheers, Ambrose

gkeawe

If you use facebook, or a smartphone tailored ads for you will always be around. All we can do is try to minimize the exposure to them by tightening up privacy and security settings. Windows 10 has installation options for custom and express installations and configurations that you can choose, skip, turn on /off etc. The bottom line is that Microsoft is making it harder for cybercriminals to hide. If our smart TV's know what we watch on a daily basis what information do you think Microsoft is gathering about us. We have been already profiled and stored in some massive data base complete with DNA samples. How's that for telemetry.

ambrose

Hello GKeawe,

I don't use face book other than a quick glimpse,  I don't have a ' Smart " TV but I do have a Panny that I got about 7 years ago, I don't have a smart phone, and I have an old Aluratek E-Reader, and frankly I don't like WiFi so that capability is shut off on my system as well. I don't use it, so I don't need it. And My Web surfing is pretty secure in my eyes anyway. So my Carbon Footprint is pretty Damm small in all regards. I may not do many things on the web that would even concern me of Privacy but that's not the point with me. At least with Windows 7 I have control, which is the way I like it, I never have anything automatically done for me, That I can do for myself.

That's the big problem with technology...it is brought out to give us more convenience but all it has made us, is Lazy, Small example Gaming apps, just another thing running in the background of the computer environment, If I need an app to accomplish the same thing as me clicking the game icon then it's time for me to stop playing games. LOL

To Each Their Own, Cheers