93 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2017 7:42 AM by jonh86

Here is a list of games that don't work with the 17.x.x drivers and the r9 290

jonh86

Resident Evil 7: Errors include but no limited to, display driver suspended, present failed, failed to copy stack memory - crashes to desktop and hard reset

Sniper Elite 4: Dx11: Display device suspended                                                                                                                   - crashes to desktop and hard reset

Assassins Creed Rogue: Freeze, black screen within 2 minutes of rendering                                                                    - hard reset

Dark Souls 3: Random crashes                                                                                                                                             - crashes to desktop and hard reset

Styx Master of Shadows: Crashes within 5 minutes, crashes to destop

Warhammer Total War: Screen tearing and freezing leading to hard reset                                                                            -Hard reset

Deus Ex Mankind Divided: Unstable FPS Dx11, Freeze and black screen crash on both Dx11, Dx12                                 -Hard reset

Resident Evil 4: Crashes immediately, within a few seconds                                                                                                  -crash to destop

Fallout 4: Crashes every 2-3 minutes                                                                                                                                       - hard reset

Metro 2033: Crashes at random intervals

These are only the games I've tested in the last week. As you can see the problem is that the drivers have rendered my r9 290 x2 useless for gaming.

This is unacceptable.

Why has there been no acknowledgement from AMD about the issues faced by users of these drivers? 

• Re: Here is a list of games that don't work with the 17.x.x drivers and the r9 290
          kingfish

The only 'issue' is you. You keep posting all this crap like everybody with a R9 290 has problems with the drivers. I have the same card and have no issues at all. You are nothing but a troll with a screwed up computer. And we can guess how it got that way.

• Re: Here is a list of games that don't work with the 17.x.x drivers and the r9 290
            jonh86

As you can see kingfish thinks that I have no business coming on to AMD support forums to raise awareness of their broken drivers. What a wonderful support structure they have in place here.

savagebeastzero

Hey jonh86,

I've tested every one of the above games after reading this post on two different systems, my test bench and my daily driver, simply to validate what kingfish has already stated above. This issue is PEBKAC, just as kingfish already previously determined. It happens to everyone at one point or another, yet you seriously jumped to conclusions by creating this post in the manner you did and quite boldly at that.

The title of this thread has no factual bearing to base it on whatsoever. Neither my test bench, nor my daily driver exhibited any of the behaviors you mention. I even went as far as to switch components in multiple differing configurations (R9 290 Crossfire, R9 290, R9 Fury Nitro - FX 8320 and Ryzen R7 1700X) to see if I could locate anything even remotely reflective of your claims, yet the issues didn't exist.

Misinforming an entire community's user base, simply because you've rushed to conclusions and are overreacting, instead of performing basic troubleshooting and then once you've determined the probable cause, then and only then, opening a properly thought out request for assistance. You're literally stating everything above as if it were fact, which is most definitely not the case in your situation. If you'd be so kind, you have to look at this from our perspective...

Threads like these can tumbleweed into something it was never meant to or should ever become, a platform for misinforming other users who may see this thread and automatically believe this is also affecting their systems. They then decide to necro bump this thread as the years go on, instead of opening their own thread and supplying us the information required for us to assist. It just becomes a larger issue than it ever needed to be for countless users and more difficult for the AMD Engineers or volunteer techs to work with them on supplying a resolution.

So, please...I ask you to simply request assistance by following the Information Required When Posting A Question. The behavior you explained above isn't the issue and never was. It was the fact that you didn't post this as a question, you posted this as an announcement. If you could supply us the information needed to determine what might be the possible cause, then we could possibly determine a solution for your situation, but without the information needed, what are we expected do accomplish? In the manner of the thread as is, you don't benefit and neither does the rest of the community.

►►►►►After supplying the information required when posting a question, also supply us with the following within the same reply.◄◄◄◄◄

►Run Prime95 for one hour, post validation of the end results. Please download Open Hardware Monitor  prior to beginning this test and during the operation, take screenshots roughly every 15 Minutes of the data it collects, leaving nothing it provides out. It's also free and open source, thus no cost to you. Also, while Prime95 is running, open CPU-Z (download prior to test), take screen captures of the CPU section which contains general important CPU information. Once again, take a screen capture every 15 minutes of the CPU section during the test and immediately following Prime95, validate the results and provide us a link to the data.

►Run MemTest86, post a screenshot of the results.

►Run 3DMark Firestrike and the 3DMark Stress Test, post validation of the results of both tests.

►Run the entire Passmark test "Passmark Run" (30 day free trial), post validation of the results.

►Run GPU-Z, take a screen capture of "Graphics Card" section which contains general important GPU information. Take a screen capture of the sensors section and the validate the results and provide us a link to the data.

►Run CPU-Z, take screen captures of the CPU section which contains general important CPU information. Take a screen capture of the sensors section and the validate the results and provide us a link to the data.

►Send us the game specific crash logs of all the applicable titles you mentioned above.

►Post all applicable Windows crash logs that occur during these events below, as explained here.

☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠

Leave nothing I requested above out of the reply, as everything I've requested has a purpose. I'll personally be troubleshooting this issue myself and thus I require a thorough response, as I'll provide a thorough and definitive solution, when and only when you provide every piece of data I requested. If you deviate from even one step, I'll simply ignore this post and move on to another user that has an issue, but is willing to work as hard collecting the data, as I'm willing to work for you....Fair enough?

1 of 3 people found this helpful
                  jonh86

savagebeastzero, are you saying that you were able to play RE7 for more than 30 minutes? Did you try to run Assassin's Creed Rogue?

I'll take you up on your offer because I'd love to have a stable set up. I've posted my specs but I'll have to wait on the tests as I'm not on my desktop computer. The only problem is getting the application crash logs. Unfortunately I won't be able to test Assassin's Creed and RE4 as I've already refunded them.

I will focus on RE7, Deus Ex and Sniper Elite 4 in Dx11.

jonh86

Here are my specs, running win 10 64 bit.

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

Device ID - 67B1

Vendor ID - 1002

SubSystem ID - 2343

SubSystem Vendor ID - 1787

Revision ID - 00

Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0

Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 2.0 x8

BIOS Version - 015.042.000.000

BIOS Part Number - 113-C6711101_100

BIOS Date - 2013/12/04 02:23

Memory Size - 4096 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Memory Clock - 1250 MHz

Core Clock - 975 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth - 320 GByte/s

Memory Bit Rate - 5.00 Gbps

2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0000

ray_m

We are not seeing many reports on the issues you have reported nor are we able to repro any of them in-house. I would hazard a guess that you either have a dirty OS or you are now experiencing a physical hardware issue.

jonh86

Hi ray_m, I've been able to run Sniper Elite on 17.2.1 with Dx12 enabled. I've ran Heaven bench marking to check for hardware faults and there were no problems. I'm not ruling out hardware issues but the errors are definitely application and driver specific.

A bit of history here, when I bought the card they constantly crashed on far cry 4. This is still the case and actually the only ubisoft game I could play was Far Cry Primal, Watchdogs assassin's creed etc. all crash regularly. Fallout 4 is unplayable. This has been over a period that covers me doing several fresh installs of windows, 8 - 8.1, and now 10.

I was able to play the Witcher 3, Civ 6, Rome and Attila Total War with no issues. Company of Heroes doesn't work and never has.

You can see the trend here. AMD drivers are so inconsistent and of such low quality it is really hit and miss on what games I can play. I wager that I'm not the only one who experiences this.

My point is the new drivers have made almost all my games unplayable, even ones that worked well, and continue to work well on 16.11.5.

Is that an OS or hardware problem? I don't want to rule anything out but it seems to me my problem is that I bought and AMD card.

supervargen

" but it seems to me my problem is that I bought and AMD card."

No, that's unfair. I can see on a nvidia forum someone saying " but it seems to me my problem is that I bought and nvidia card"

There is absolutely no guarantee that you would have a better experience with a card from nvidia.

Have you tried you'r card in another computer?

You can have a faulty motherboard. Or even faulty DDR memory.

What you experience is so annoying because it could be a number of things that's wrong.

You blame the drivers. Fair enough.. that is often the case. And maybe it is?

But it CAN be other parts in your PC.

jonh86

supervargen, I appreciate your response and perspective. These are my first and last AMD cards. I've never experienced this kind of unstable performance with Nvidia and I've had quite a few. I'm not speculating I'm merely stating the facts. I know the problem could be the PC, I built it myself and I've had to replace the mobo once.

However in this case the GPUs run well with 16.11.5 driver on games that came out before that date. This fact seems to rule out hardware or OS problems.

The culprit must be these new drivers, especially wattman. I recently got hitman absolution and had to revert the drivers from 17.x.x to play it. In the end I decided to update to 17.x.x and played hitman on my nvidia card, this is a common occurrence for me. You see now my nvidia card is getting old and that's no longer an option with new game, excuse me I digress. 

The error I received when playing hitman absolution was solved by users in 2014, by under clocking their cards. Now its important to note two things, my r9 290 is factory OC, and this error didn't occur on the 16.11.5 driver.

Underclocking isn't possible in wattman, whats more wattman doesn't feel like it was designed with 200 and 300 series users in mind, this is obvious from the missing controls and functionality.

Therefore my conclusion is that wattman and all relive drivers are tested on 400 series cards but only on reference 200 and 300 series cards. This has resulted in disastrous performance for some people's setups but not others.

We will know more once I perform the tests outlined by savage beast.

kaikai581

It seems AMD guys never check Newegg or Amazon reviews. Many of the RX cards only get 3 eggs/stars. RX series get at most 4. Look at NVIDIA. They are full of 5 star products. If you ever look at those angry reviews on AMD cards, 80% of them are about crashes in game.

I will buy an NVIDIA card and show people NVIDIA has much more stable software.

By the way, if anyone thinks NVIDIA has as bad driver by judging from the shear number of complaints, I have to remind him that NVIDIA sells much more cards than AMD.

2 of 4 people found this helpful
                              jonh86

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
                                • VTX X-edition; AMD R9 290 x2
                              • Desktop or Laptop System
                                • Desktop
                              • Operating System
                                • Windows 10 64bit
                              • Driver version installed
                                • 17.2.1 - Previously 17.3.3
                              • Display Devices
                                • BenQ, 1080, 60hz - HDMI
                              • Motherboard
                                • Asus z97-a
                              • CPU/APU
                                • Intel i5-4670
                              • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
                                • Corshair 1000w
                              • RAM
                                • 16GB

I'll update this with the test results in about 10 hours

jonh86

The prime95 pushed the cpu temperature to the limit reaching 100c. I re-applied thermal paste and ran the test again with similar results.

The memory test passed with no errors

The passmark score went well

The results from the 3Dmark test were revealing. The CPU temperature never exceeded 65c and ran at full tilt the entire time.

The GPU however was a different story. It failed the stress test scoring a miserable 66.2% for stability. The problem is it is throttling because of its temperatures.

I prevented this from happening by using the target fan speed control and target temp. These are gone and instead I had to use the max temp control which throttles the card.

I restored factory settings and ran it again this time failing with a score of 72.1%.

The answer is that the new drivers, by removing vital controls, are increasing the instability of an already terribly designed GPU.

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
                                  • XfX X-edition; AMD R9 290 x2
                                • Desktop or Laptop System
                                  • Desktop
                                • Operating System
                                  • Windows 10 64bit
                                • Driver version installed
                                  • 17.2.1 - Previously 17.3.3
                                • Display Devices
                                  • BenQ, 1080, 60hz - HDMI
                                • Motherboard
                                  • Asus z97-a
                                • CPU/APU
                                  • Intel i5-4670
                                • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
                                  • Corshair 1000w
                                • RAM
                                  • 16GB

Prime95

Sensors

|

+- ASUS Z97-A (/mainboard)

|  |

|  +- Nuvoton NCT6791D (/lpc/nct6791d)

|  |  +- CPU VCore      :    0.856    0.856    0.856 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/0)

|  |  +- Voltage #2     :    1.016    1.016    1.016 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/1)

|  |  +- AVCC           :    3.312    3.296    3.312 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/2)

|  |  +- 3VCC           :    3.312    3.296    3.312 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/3)

|  |  +- Voltage #5     :    1.024    1.016    1.024 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/4)

|  |  +- Voltage #6     :     1.96     1.96    1.968 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/5)

|  |  +- Voltage #7     :    0.152    0.152    0.456 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/6)

|  |  +- 3VSB           :    3.392    3.392    3.392 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/7)

|  |  +- VBAT           :    3.344    3.344    3.344 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/8)

|  |  +- VTT            :    1.008    1.008    1.008 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/9)

|  |  +- Voltage #12    :    0.856    0.856    0.864 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/11)

|  |  +- Voltage #13    :    0.064    0.064    0.328 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/12)

|  |  +- Voltage #14    :      0.2    0.128     0.36 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/13)

|  |  +- Voltage #15    :    0.376    0.072     0.52 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/14)

|  |  +- CPU Core       :       37       36     39.5 (/lpc/nct6791d/temperature/0)

|  |  +- Temperature #1 :     37.5       37     37.5 (/lpc/nct6791d/temperature/1)

|  |  +- Temperature #2 :       30       30       30 (/lpc/nct6791d/temperature/2)

|  |  +- Temperature #3 :      115       56      115 (/lpc/nct6791d/temperature/3)

|  |  +- Temperature #5 :       34       33       34 (/lpc/nct6791d/temperature/5)

|  |  +- Temperature #6 :      108       56      108 (/lpc/nct6791d/temperature/6)

|  |  +- Fan #2         :     1437     1437     1470 (/lpc/nct6791d/fan/1)

|  |  +- Fan Control #1 :  66.6667  65.8824  68.6275 (/lpc/nct6791d/control/0)

|  |  +- Fan Control #2 :  43.9216  42.7451  46.6667 (/lpc/nct6791d/control/1)

|  |  +- Fan Control #3 :  66.6667  65.8824  68.6275 (/lpc/nct6791d/control/2)

|  |  +- Fan Control #4 :  66.6667  65.8824  68.6275 (/lpc/nct6791d/control/3)

|  |  +- Fan Control #5 :  66.6667  65.8824  68.6275 (/lpc/nct6791d/control/4)

|  |  +- Fan Control #6 :      100      100      100 (/lpc/nct6791d/control/5)

|

+- Intel Core i5-4670 (/intelcpu/0)

|  +- Bus Speed      :  99.9999  99.9999  100.002 (/intelcpu/0/clock/0)

|  +- CPU Core #1    :     3400     3400  3400.06 (/intelcpu/0/clock/1)

|  +- CPU Core #2    :     3400     3400  3400.06 (/intelcpu/0/clock/2)

|  +- CPU Core #3    :     3400     3400  3400.06 (/intelcpu/0/clock/3)

|  +- CPU Core #4    :     3400     3400  3400.06 (/intelcpu/0/clock/4)

|  +- CPU Core #1    :       40       40       45 (/intelcpu/0/temperature/0)

|  +- CPU Core #2    :       41       40       44 (/intelcpu/0/temperature/1)

|  +- CPU Core #3    :       41       40       44 (/intelcpu/0/temperature/2)

|  +- CPU Core #4    :       41       40       47 (/intelcpu/0/temperature/3)

|  +- CPU Package    :       42       42       47 (/intelcpu/0/temperature/4)

|  +- CPU Total      :  3.51563  1.95313  28.4091 (/intelcpu/0/load/0)

|  +- CPU Core #1    :   4.6875        0       50 (/intelcpu/0/load/1)

|  +- CPU Core #2    :   1.5625        0  15.9091 (/intelcpu/0/load/2)

|  +- CPU Core #3    :   4.6875        0  29.5455 (/intelcpu/0/load/3)

|  +- CPU Core #4    :    3.125    3.125       50 (/intelcpu/0/load/4)

|  +- CPU Package    :  10.3217  9.45923  20.7818 (/intelcpu/0/power/0)

|  +- CPU Cores      :  2.96671  2.37267  12.2548 (/intelcpu/0/power/1)

|  +- CPU Graphics   :        0        0        0 (/intelcpu/0/power/2)

|  +- CPU DRAM       :  2.07738  1.96028  2.20114 (/intelcpu/0/power/3)

|

+- Generic Memory (/ram)

|  +- Memory         :   17.874   17.874  18.0419 (/ram/load/0)

|  +- Used Memory    :  2.84989  2.84989  2.87667 (/ram/data/0)

|  +- Available Memory :  13.0944  13.0677  13.0944 (/ram/data/1)

|

+- AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (/atigpu/0)

|  +- GPU Core       :              0.04     0.04 (/atigpu/0/voltage/0)

|  +- GPU Core       :   300.59      300   382.32 (/atigpu/0/clock/0)

|  +- GPU Memory     :      150      150     1250 (/atigpu/0/clock/1)

|  +- GPU Core       :       58       58       58 (/atigpu/0/temperature/0)

|  +- GPU Core       :        0        0        0 (/atigpu/0/load/0)

|  +- GPU Fan        :      962      959      963 (/atigpu/0/fan/0)

|  +- GPU Fan        :       20       20       20 (/atigpu/0/control/0)

|

+- AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (/atigpu/6)

|  +- GPU Core       :      300      300      300 (/atigpu/6/clock/0)

|  +- GPU Memory     :      150      150      150 (/atigpu/6/clock/1)

|  +- GPU Core       :       54       54       54 (/atigpu/6/temperature/0)

|  +- GPU Core       :        0        0        0 (/atigpu/6/load/0)

|  +- GPU Fan        :     1031     1029     1032 (/atigpu/6/fan/0)

|  +- GPU Fan        :       20       20       20 (/atigpu/6/control/0)

|

+- Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB (/hdd/0)

|  +- Temperature    :       31       31       31 (/hdd/0/temperature/0)

|  +- Used Space     :  67.8962  67.8962  67.8962 (/hdd/0/load/0)

|  +- Total LBA Written :  522.211  522.211  522.211 (/hdd/0/data/0)

|

+- SSD PLUS 480GB (/hdd/1)

|  +- Temperature    :       27       27       27 (/hdd/1/temperature/0)

|  +- Used Space     :  80.1669  80.1669  80.1669 (/hdd/1/load/0)

Sensors

|

|  |

|  |  +- CPU VCore      :    0.832    0.816    0.848 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/0)

|  |  +- AVCC           :    3.296     3.28    3.312 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/2)

|  |  +- 3VCC           :    3.296     3.28    3.312 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/3)

|  |  +- Voltage #5     :    1.016    1.008    1.016 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/4)

|  |  +- Voltage #6     :    1.952    1.952     1.96 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/5)

|  |  +- Voltage #7     :    0.488     0.04      0.6 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/6)

|  |  +- VBAT           :    3.328    3.328    3.328 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/8)

|  |  +- VTT            :    1.008        1    1.016 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/9)

|  |  +- Voltage #12    :     0.84     0.84    0.864 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/11)

|  |  +- Voltage #13    :    0.488    0.016    0.624 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/12)

|  |  +- Voltage #14    :    0.504    0.032    0.624 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/13)

|  |  +- Voltage #15    :    0.512    0.008    0.624 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/14)

|  |  +- CPU Core       :       88     42.5       92 (/lpc/nct6791d/temperature/0)

|  |  +- Temperature #1 :     64.5       45     64.5 (/lpc/nct6791d/temperature/1)

|  |  +- Temperature #2 :       29       29       29 (/lpc/nct6791d/temperature/2)

|  |  +- Temperature #3 :       57       51      117 (/lpc/nct6791d/temperature/3)

|  |  +- Temperature #5 :       35       34       35 (/lpc/nct6791d/temperature/5)

|  |  +- Temperature #6 :       58       49      118 (/lpc/nct6791d/temperature/6)

|  |  +- Fan #2         :     2652     1443     2667 (/lpc/nct6791d/fan/1)

|  |  +- Fan Control #1 :      100  72.9412      100 (/lpc/nct6791d/control/0)

|  |  +- Fan Control #2 :      100   45.098      100 (/lpc/nct6791d/control/1)

|  |  +- Fan Control #3 :      100   72.549      100 (/lpc/nct6791d/control/2)

|  |  +- Fan Control #4 :      100   72.549      100 (/lpc/nct6791d/control/3)

|  |  +- Fan Control #5 :      100   72.549      100 (/lpc/nct6791d/control/4)

|

|  +- Bus Speed      :   102.98  102.979  102.986 (/intelcpu/0/clock/0)

|  +- CPU Core #1    :  2780.45  823.836  3913.46 (/intelcpu/0/clock/1)

|  +- CPU Core #2    :  2780.45  823.836  3913.46 (/intelcpu/0/clock/2)

|  +- CPU Core #3    :  2780.45   1029.8  3913.46 (/intelcpu/0/clock/3)

|  +- CPU Core #4    :  2883.43  1235.75  3913.46 (/intelcpu/0/clock/4)

|  +- CPU Core #1    :       99       50      100 (/intelcpu/0/temperature/0)

|  +- CPU Core #2    :       97       51      100 (/intelcpu/0/temperature/1)

|  +- CPU Core #3    :       96       49      100 (/intelcpu/0/temperature/2)

|  +- CPU Core #4    :       92       50       95 (/intelcpu/0/temperature/3)

|  +- CPU Package    :       99       51      100 (/intelcpu/0/temperature/4)

|  +- CPU Total      :      100  3.90625      100 (/intelcpu/0/load/0)

|  +- CPU Core #1    :      100        0      100 (/intelcpu/0/load/1)

|  +- CPU Core #2    :      100   1.5625      100 (/intelcpu/0/load/2)

|  +- CPU Core #3    :      100        0      100 (/intelcpu/0/load/3)

|  +- CPU Core #4    :      100        0      100 (/intelcpu/0/load/4)

|  +- CPU Package    :  61.9132  9.58883  116.801 (/intelcpu/0/power/0)

|  +- CPU Cores      :  55.6597  4.01302  110.638 (/intelcpu/0/power/1)

|  +- CPU DRAM       :  3.37858  2.95306  4.32999 (/intelcpu/0/power/3)

|

+- Generic Memory (/ram)

|  +- Memory         :  20.7387  14.6396  21.0412 (/ram/load/0)

|  +- Used Memory    :  3.30665  2.33418  3.35489 (/ram/data/0)

|  +- Available Memory :  12.6377  12.5895  13.6102 (/ram/data/1)

|

|  +- GPU Core       :   298464     0.04   298464 (/atigpu/0/voltage/0)

|  +- GPU Core       :   303.09      300   676.88 (/atigpu/0/clock/0)

|  +- GPU Core       :       61       48       61 (/atigpu/0/temperature/0)

|  +- GPU Core       :        0        0      100 (/atigpu/0/load/0)

|  +- GPU Fan        :      948      941      957 (/atigpu/0/fan/0)

|

|  +- GPU Core       :   298464  13238.4   576305 (/atigpu/6/voltage/0)

|  +- GPU Core       :      300      300   357.12 (/atigpu/6/clock/0)

|  +- GPU Core       :       51       46       51 (/atigpu/6/temperature/0)

|  +- GPU Fan        :     1025     1021     1033 (/atigpu/6/fan/0)

|  +- GPU Fan        :       20       20       22 (/atigpu/6/control/0)

|

|  +- Temperature    :       32       30       33 (/hdd/0/temperature/0)

|  +- Used Space     :  67.8888  67.1422  67.9087 (/hdd/0/load/0)

|  +- Total LBA Written :  494.396  490.045  494.396 (/hdd/0/data/0)

|

|  +- Temperature    :       28       28       28 (/hdd/1/temperature/0)

|  +- Used Space     :  80.1856  80.1749  80.1856 (/hdd/1/load/0)

Sensors

|

|  |

|  |  +- CPU VCore      :    0.832    0.816    0.848 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/0)

|  |  +- AVCC           :    3.296    3.264    3.312 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/2)

|  |  +- 3VCC           :    3.296    3.264    3.312 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/3)

|  |  +- Voltage #5     :    1.016    1.008    1.016 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/4)

|  |  +- Voltage #6     :    1.952    1.952     1.96 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/5)

|  |  +- Voltage #7     :    0.488     0.04      0.6 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/6)

|  |  +- VBAT           :    3.328    3.328    3.328 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/8)

|  |  +- VTT            :    1.008        1    1.016 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/9)

|  |  +- Voltage #12    :     0.84     0.84    0.864 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/11)

|  |  +- Voltage #13    :    0.488    0.016    0.624 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/12)

|  |  +- Voltage #14    :    0.504    0.032    0.624 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/13)

|  |  +- Voltage #15    :     0.48    0.008    0.624 (/lpc/nct6791d/voltage/14)

|  |  +- CPU Core       :       88     42.5       92 (/lpc/nct6791d/temperature/0)

|  |  +- Temperature #1 :     64.5       45       65 (/lpc/nct6791d/temperature/1)

|  |  +- Temperature #2 :       29       29       30 (/lpc/nct6791d/temperature/2)

|  |  +- Temperature #3 :       58       49      117 (/lpc/nct6791d/temperature/3)

|  |  +- Temperature #5 :       34       34       35 (/lpc/nct6791d/temperature/5)

|  |  +- Temperature #6 :       58       49      118 (/lpc/nct6791d/temperature/6)

|  |  +- Fan #2         :     2694     1443     2727 (/lpc/nct6791d/fan/1)

|  |  +- Fan Control #1 :      100  72.9412      100 (/lpc/nct6791d/control/0)

|  |  +- Fan Control #2 :      100   45.098      100 (/lpc/nct6791d/control/1)

|  |  +- Fan Control #3 :      100   72.549      100 (/lpc/nct6791d/control/2)

|  |  +- Fan Control #4 :      100   72.549      100 (/lpc/nct6791d/control/3)

|  |  +- Fan Control #5 :      100   72.549      100 (/lpc/nct6791d/control/4)

|

|  +- Bus Speed      :   102.98  102.979  102.986 (/intelcpu/0/clock/0)

|  +- CPU Core #1    :  2780.45  823.836  3913.46 (/intelcpu/0/clock/1)

|  +- CPU Core #2    :  2780.45  823.836  3913.46 (/intelcpu/0/clock/2)

|  +- CPU Core #3    :  2780.45  823.836  3913.46 (/intelcpu/0/clock/3)

|  +- CPU Core #4    :  2883.43  823.836  3913.46 (/intelcpu/0/clock/4)

|  +- CPU Core #1    :       99       50      100 (/intelcpu/0/temperature/0)

|  +- CPU Core #2    :       96       51      100 (/intelcpu/0/temperature/1)

|  +- CPU Core #3    :       96       49      100 (/intelcpu/0/temperature/2)

|  +- CPU Core #4    :       91       50       95 (/intelcpu/0/temperature/3)

|  +- CPU Package    :       99       51      100 (/intelcpu/0/temperature/4)

|  +- CPU Total      :      100  3.90625      100 (/intelcpu/0/load/0)

|  +- CPU Core #1    :      100        0      100 (/intelcpu/0/load/1)

|  +- CPU Core #2    :      100   1.5625      100 (/intelcpu/0/load/2)

|  +- CPU Core #3    :      100        0      100 (/intelcpu/0/load/3)

|  +- CPU Core #4    :      100        0      100 (/intelcpu/0/load/4)

|  +- CPU Package    :  61.5873  9.58883  116.801 (/intelcpu/0/power/0)

|  +- CPU Cores      :  55.4141  4.01302  110.638 (/intelcpu/0/power/1)

|  +- CPU DRAM       :  3.22181  2.95306  4.32999 (/intelcpu/0/power/3)

|

+- Generic Memory (/ram)

|  +- Memory         :  20.9912  14.6396  22.3931 (/ram/load/0)

|  +- Used Memory    :   3.3469  2.33418  3.57044 (/ram/data/0)

|  +- Available Memory :  12.5974  12.3739  13.6102 (/ram/data/1)

|

|  +- GPU Core       :   298464     0.04   298464 (/atigpu/0/voltage/0)

|  +- GPU Core       :   300.81      300   676.88 (/atigpu/0/clock/0)

|  +- GPU Core       :       66       48       67 (/atigpu/0/temperature/0)

|  +- GPU Core       :        0        0      100 (/atigpu/0/load/0)

|  +- GPU Fan        :      953      941      957 (/atigpu/0/fan/0)

|

|  +- GPU Core       :   298464    0.002   576305 (/atigpu/6/voltage/0)

|  +- GPU Core       :      300      300   357.12 (/atigpu/6/clock/0)

|  +- GPU Core       :       52       46       52 (/atigpu/6/temperature/0)

|  +- GPU Fan        :     1027     1020     1033 (/atigpu/6/fan/0)

|  +- GPU Fan        :       20       20       22 (/atigpu/6/control/0)

|

|  +- Temperature    :       30       30       33 (/hdd/0/temperature/0)

|  +- Used Space     :  67.9152  67.1422  67.9152 (/hdd/0/load/0)

|  +- Total LBA Written :  495.235  490.045  495.235 (/hdd/0/data/0)

|

|  +- Temperature    :       28       28       28 (/hdd/1/temperature/0)

|  +- Used Space     :  80.1749  80.1749  80.1856 (/hdd/1/load/0)

2_0.png15.png

30.png

jonh86

3dmark firestrike extreme and firestrike stress test results

stress test

http://www.3dmark.com/fsst/383527

fire strike

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/18965590

jonh86

Eevnt logs and details from a variety of games crashes

Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files\amd\cim\bin64\SetACL64.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0"

c:\program files\amd\cim\bin64\SetACL64.exe

The description for Event ID 16396 from source ATIeRecord cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\AMD\CIM\Bin64\SetACL64.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis

Faulting application name: Warhammer.exe, version: 1.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x576c7e76

Faulting module name: Warhammer.exe, version: 1.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x576c7e76

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00000000052cea94

Faulting process id: 0x69c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d2a883d28269bb

Faulting application path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER\Warhammer.exe

Faulting module path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER\Warhammer.exe

Report Id: af88ea86-010c-428f-b277-1211683b4558

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Warhammer.exe

576c7e76

Warhammer.exe

576c7e76

c0000005

00000000052cea94

69c

01d2a883d28269bb

E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER\Warhammer.exe

E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER\Warhammer.exe

af88ea86-010c-428f-b277-1211683b4558

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.

. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:

Gathering Writer Data

Context:

Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}

Writer Name: System Writer

Writer Instance ID: {9437f60d-fa12-45ca-82c7-d3bd3aafa308}

Faulting application name: RadeonSettings.exe, version: 10.1.1.1674, time stamp: 0x58cb0150

Faulting module name: MSVCR120.dll, version: 12.0.21005.1, time stamp: 0x524f83ff

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000003c3f9

Faulting process id: 0x4f0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d2a87eda81b814

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSettings.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\MSVCR120.dll

Report Id: 95e2638f-602a-4943-8343-92f1c023949d

Faulting package-relative application ID

RadeonSettings.exe

58cb0150

MSVCR120.dll

524f83ff

c0000005

000000000003c3f9

4f0

01d2a87eda81b814

C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSettings.exe

C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\MSVCR120.dll

95e2638f-602a-4943-8343-92f1c023949d

Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files\amd\cim\bin64\SetACL64.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0"

The program RadeonSettings.exe version 10.1.1.1674 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.

Process ID: 1aa8

Start Time: 01d2a5cb9565acd8

Termination Time: 4294967295

Application Path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSettings.exe

Report Id: e6784784-11e3-11e7-8518-00e04cc291b6

RadeonSettings.exe

1aa8

01d2a5cb9565acd8

C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSettings.exe

e6784784-11e3-11e7-8518-00e04cc291b6

54006F00700020006C006500760065006C002000770069006E0064006F0077002000690073002000690064006C00650000000000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 006F0054 00200070 0065006C 00650076

0010: 0020006C 00690077 0064006E 0077006F

0020: 00690020 00200073 00640069 0065006C

0030: 00000000   

In Bytes

0000: 54 00 6F 00 70 00 20 00   T.o.p. .

0008: 6C 00 65 00 76 00 65 00   l.e.v.e.

0010: 6C 00 20 00 77 00 69 00   l. .w.i.

0018: 6E 00 64 00 6F 00 77 00   n.d.o.w.

0020: 20 00 69 00 73 00 20 00    .i.s. .

0028: 69 00 64 00 6C 00 65 00   i.d.l.e.

0030: 00 00 00 00               ....

Faulting application name: hitman.exe, version: 1.10.0.0, time stamp: 0x58bd3845

Faulting module name: hitman.exe, version: 1.10.0.0, time stamp: 0x58bd3845

Exception code: 0x80000003

Fault offset: 0x0000000004a3197c

Faulting process id: 0xbd0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d2a5efe7c27a09

Faulting application path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Hitman™\dx12retail\hitman.exe

Faulting module path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Hitman™\dx12retail\hitman.exe

Report Id: b5e5729b-3bb4-4aad-9984-bab205a33039

hitman.exe

58bd3845

hitman.exe

58bd3845

0000000004a3197c

bd0

01d2a5efe7c27a09

E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Hitman™\dx12retail\hitman.exe

E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Hitman™\dx12retail\hitman.exe

b5e5729b-3bb4-4aad-9984-bab205a33039

Faulting application name: HMA.exe, version: 1.0.447.0, time stamp: 0x5149e0b4

Faulting module name: HMA.exe, version: 1.0.447.0, time stamp: 0x5149e0b4

Exception code: 0x80000003

Fault offset: 0x00082c3e

Faulting process id: 0x7d0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d2a5ecac01f6d5

Faulting application path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Hitman Absolution\HMA.exe

Faulting module path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Hitman Absolution\HMA.exe

Report Id: ec1d7e38-a22d-4ac0-b586-72b5b552ea0d

HMA.exe

5149e0b4

HMA.exe

5149e0b4

00082c3e

7d0

01d2a5ecac01f6d5

E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Hitman Absolution\HMA.exe

E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Hitman Absolution\HMA.exe

ec1d7e38-a22d-4ac0-b586-72b5b552ea0d

Fault bucket 73988911756, type 1

Event Name: APPCRASH

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: HMA.exe

P2: 1.0.447.0

P3: 5149e0b4

P4: HMA.exe

P5: 1.0.447.0

P6: 5149e0b4

P7: 80000003

P8: 00082c3e

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WEREABF.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_HMA.exe_7b612c412057838c5bbe9da4e9bd6c94a01adb1_1a609466_282ff2ec

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: 4b8de9b4-f43d-4086-aa01-d1d92c2ccefa

Report Status: 1

Hashed bucket: b7b2e3660f51c8ddfa931dcd2463c1d5

APPCRASH

Not available

HMA.exe

5149e0b4

HMA.exe

5149e0b4

00082c3e

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WEREABF.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_HMA.exe_7b612c412057838c5bbe9da4e9bd6c94a01adb1_1a609466_282ff2ec

4b8de9b4-f43d-4086-aa01-d1d92c2ccefa

b7b2e3660f51c8ddfa931dcd2463c1d5

jonh86

Well no word from savagebeast zero, who said my post had no factual bearing to base it on. Well the fact that I'm experiencing it with 2 xfx r9 290s and stock coolers is plenty of factual bearing for me. Obviously this guy is here to try convince everybody that amd are amazing and that it's my presence in proximity to the computer is the cause of the issue instead of it being an issue that has plagued these cards since there launch. A problem which was pointed out in the first week of its launch. If savagebeastzero and his huge ego is what passes as support around here it's no wonder amd have problems. Tell everybody who uses the rubbish hardware that they are the cause of the problem. Maybe kingfish will suggest I hit apply again.

Here are some of the quotes from 2013 about the r9 290, and the dishonest marketing around them.

"You could call that questionable marketing. After all, the only way you’ll actually see a sustained 1000 MHz is if you either let the R9 290X’s fan howl like a tomcat looking for action"

"AMD gives the 290 an “up to” rating of 947 MHz, but our seven games average 832 MHz. In the most taxing situations, the clock rate floor, or base clock, appears to be 662 MHz."

"AMD’s scheme undoubtedly suffers a lack of clarity, and after piling praise onto the R9 290X’s value story, I now have to hope that Nvidia doesn’t follow AMD down this muddy little rabbit hole."

"As we know, overcoming AMD’s throttling mechanism requires manually increasing" the fans. - Thanks for removing that feature AMD.

shiro-k

Hi Jonh86,

at first i have to tell you I'm experiencing the exact same problems as you are and reading through this thread reminded me why I normaly don't post anything on forums. This kind of hostility towards you is just unfair, especially from people who are trying to "help".

I have TWO PowerColor LCS R9 290X working in my system right now, this since january 2014. I have done countless driver installs and windows (win7 64bit) installations. Before the 290X I had a Crossfire setup with two HD 6970, before that two HD 5770. I owned quite a few AMD CPUs and MBs over the years. At the moment I work with an Asus Pampage IV BE and an Intel i7 4930K. So I claim for myself to have some experience and I know what I'm doing.

Back to the gpu driver problem. Every driver newer than 16.11.5 gives me problems. Sometimes I can play (e.g. FFXIV or The Division) with a Relive driver through the weekend without any problems and than all of a sudden the system BSOD or just crashes (hard reset as you call it). Sometimes a newly installed Relive driver crashes after a few minutes into the game. I experienced freezes on desktop or watching youtube in firefox too. With the 16.11.5 driver my system is rock stable and I can play FFXIV without any problems.

I have sent in a few bug reports but never got any helpful reaction from AMD just the usual standardized email.

So in the end I can't give you any helpful advise on how to solve our gpu problems either, only my own thoughts.

Firstly I think AMD is not putting any affords towards old GPU series anymore, why would they its not economically reasonable. With the new 500 series coming out soon and crossfire being a niche they have to prioritize. I don't think there is anything we can do, it's a driver thing.

Secondly AMD gave up on Crossfire with the release of DX12. My experiences with Crossfire was mostly positive, I had lots of fun with quite a few games over the years.

With the performance given I could use my setups a lot longer. Over the past 6 months my experiences changed dramaticly. Relive + crossfire 290(X)/390(X) = does not work.

Because of the second point I will never buy a crossfire (sli) setup again. Neither from AMD nor Nvidia.

Since I own a freesync monitor and like it alot I will wait for the new vega gpus and see how those perform. Should Nvidia ever decide to support adaptiv sync I will look at those too. Until than I will try a few more Relive drivers, if AMD releases one that works I'll write back.

My advise, sell the second card. Thats what I'm planing to do.

jonh862

hey shiro-k, thanks for your response.

One thing I will is that Dx12 doesn't use crossfire in a traditional sense but it still utilizes 2 gpus. It just isn't called crossfire anymore. You can alt tab out of a game to check if it is using both GPUs, or use some monitoring software. Dx12 doesn't use the crossfire drivers instead it is closer to hardware. Game companies now support multigpu instead of AMD or nvidia. I've used multigpu in Total War Warhammer Dx12, Deus Ex Dx12. So don't worry about that. Actually its an improvement because it removes the responsibility from AMD, who have a talent for botching and half a*s things.

In terms of performance I will never do a multigpu set up either. However with the dawn of Dx12, I can see multigpu setups becoming more efficient. 

I hope that AMD realize what they have done and resolve the issue.

jonh86

I have now answered the riddle. I can proved without a shadow of doubt that the problem is the AMD drivers 17.x.x.

I tested the 16.11.5 driver against the 17.2.1 and the 17.3.3 drivers.

By upgrading to the 17.x.x my cards are subjected to high instability.

It is operating at 11.2% lower in a multigpu set up and 18.7% lower in a single gpu when compared to the 16.11.5 driver.

Now savagebeastzero kingfish you can try tell me that I'm the cause of this.

Please consider the following 3dMark stress tests

Multi GPU

17.2.1 = 66.2%

AMD Radeon R9 290 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-4670,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z97-A

16.11.5 = 77.9%

AMD Radeon R9 290 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-4670,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z97-A

Single GPU

17.3.3 = 78.5%

Losing 21.5% of power with this driver

16.11.5 = 97.2%

The answer is that the relive drivers are causing the instability and my original post is correct

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                              jonh86

I can confirm that the problem persists with RE7. Completely unplayable with 17.3.3 driver. Two crashes within a minute of starting the game. Clearly not temperature related. Buggy driver is certainly to blame.

jonh86

The final answer is that the 17.x.x drivers not only increase overall instability they are also extremely buggy. This is causing a lot of unpredictable results such as the ones described in the original post.

Unfortunately there was no help to be found here only snide comments made by the support staff trying to shift the blame, first to me, then to the OS, hardware, and ram. Then the usual accusations that I am making it up and that I am only one with these problems. Obviously they ignore the fact that there are forums on this site about this issue and that not many people would even come here. I'm sure most AMD users have cemented the wait and hope attitude that accompanies all AMD products. Will AMD render my component useless with the next update, if they do, will they fix it? Hard to say, after all there are no problems, nothing to see here, AMD are the best and if you have a problem its your fault, you're probably wearing the wrong coloured shirt.

1 of 3 people found this helpful
                                                    abi

So the topic is closed? You provided the logs yesterday, today is saturday.. Dont you think you should w8 a bit? There are more people with 290's some already told that dont have problem, just w8 and see what amd staff tells since they already told that will look into your issue.

And btw you should also take a look into your Windows files, if they are corrupted you can install all drivers that you want and the problems will persist.

jonh86

The problems don't exist in the old drivers.

How do you suggest that I looking into my windows files? I'll run sfc /scannow and see what happens.

You make a fair point. I may have closed the discussion too fast.

abi

there are a few ways, I usually do it by cmd just Google sfc scannow, or take a look at this thread from kingfish

https://community.amd.com/message/2757206#comment-2757206

jonh86

Thanks abi you're a good guy. I know you're trying to help. I ran sfc scannow and it did not find any integrity violations.

My system purrs like a kitten when I'm not putting the AMD driver to heavy use.

jonh86

In all fairness these are fairly bog standard actions to take. I run a tight ship. I'm almost certain the problem is buggy drivers.

AzureSky

john86, its just to bad you got so many people insisting the drivers are fine/great, and not looking at how many posts are found with a quick yahoo or google search with alot of the problems we both have ran into...

wattman is totally bugged, the 7.3.3 cause alot of exatra heat to build up in my cards....and quite a few games i have tested have shown minor issues....issues swapping back to the 16.11.5 or 15.11/15.12 drivers fixes...

i hate to think this but, i have a feeling somebody at amd just dosnt give a s**t about us r9 *90 users because, they got our money....if we want proper support, we should get their current gen cards...(you see this attitude alot on these forums and on reddit...."that chips years old, you cant expect them to support it forever".....to chips they are still selling to sony and ms....and to the consumer market....ugg...stupid people drive me crazy..)

i cant confirm all your issues but, i can confirm that the drivers are buddy as hell... guru3d forums thread shows the same thing, dx12 titles with horrible bugs, dx11 titles with bugs and poor results for many people...

but im sure these are all just PEBKEC/PEBKAM errors....no matter how many people report them...right kingfish?

jonh86

I've been running through all the 17.x.x drivers and I can say that they buggy. No doubt.

If AMD think that this is a good strategy to get people to buy their latest cards they are sorely mistaken. I doubt people will willing put up with this again. There is no way I'd ever even consider getting another AMD card.

AzureSky

im sadly, in the process of trying to afford a 1070, since even a clean windows install cant get the temps of one of my 2 290x tri-x cards back down to where they where pre-7.3.3 install, load a game, or any app that pegs 3d mode and it shoots to 60c instantly, then climbs to 70's and artifacts...even flashing a -25mv 1000mhz/1250 bios gives the same results....my other 290x seems to have recovered from the heating issue after i flashed it a couple times, its back on the 1075/1375 bios and, after 2hrs of eso at 3200x1800, it was still running at no higher then 65c....thats not bad....

thats on the 16.11.5's....

way i look at it over all perf is within 4% (overall) of my 2 cards combined, but the 1070 uses alot less power, and, despite nvidias having driver bugs....at least i know they have less bugs with the games i play at the moment then amd's drivers do with the cards i own.....(pulled 2nd 290x, its war was up in nov last year so im SOL, sappire dont even respond if you request a repair rma and are willing to pay if the repair is reasonably priced...)

sapphire already dicked me around for 2 weeks to make sure by the time the rma request was sent to AM that i would be out of warranty.... when the fan closest to the back of the case just....fell off its hub as the card was operating....the card didnt even overheat down 1 fan....with a very questionable 3rd fan...(center was only one thats still going strong..of that set...) they charged me 25bucks for replacement fans...feel sad i didnt just save the money...could have put it toward a card thats actually getting support...rather then one they want to die so i will hopefully buy another card....

but....price wise...why would i get a fury when i can get a 1070 for around the same price (outside the nitro....then...its still over priced for the perf you get....having tested one in my own rig...

nv would also let me run true 4k dsr...rather then 3200x1800

jonh86

You'd be a fool to spend more money on AMD. I am now playing resident Evil 7 on my 670mx. It's actually technically way under the min requirments but with a little over clocking it runs it at a steady 40fps with high textures. That's the difference. One product is garbage with big numbers that don't mean anything when the card is unstable and throttling all the time, while the other is a quality nvidia build.

kaikai581

I have an RX 460 suffering from constant random crash. If I swapped back my good old HD 3870 with a 4-year-old driver, everything is solid stable.

Swapping cards is THE BEST cross check in my opinion. If you have one card running rock stably and the other is not, one cannot have a faulty system other than the card or driver itself.

I replaced the card to no avail. Same crash pattern. PowerColor insists the replaced card passed stress tests.

I think the AMD cards with newer drivers have seriously compatibility issues since AMD crews openly claim their cards don't play well with old chipsets. PowerColor even wanted me to replace my mobo & CPU in order to use this low end card. I laughed. People buy RX 460 because they are on a budget. Now they wanted me to spend hundreds just for using this low end card. How logical.

However, newer chipsets is never a "requirement" in the product description. I feel deceived and I really wanted my money back.

I am going to buy an NVIDIA card and show people the problem is on AMD's side, not mine.

warsun

I just made a post on some what of this subject because i was getting some performance issues in my games.But it could stem from I don't use updates.So it could be the development dept.use Windows updates as a staple.I an many of us do not use Windows Updates an when installing these changes are not compatible with out hardware.I am recommending that development please make version that do not require Microsoft or Linux updates please.I can roll back to a previous driver but that really is not addressing the problem.

ray_m

Unfortunately, that is not possible. All driver releases are validated against the latest version of a fully patched OS

jonh86

yes @ray_m, all drivers are validated, wink wink,

ray_m

Yes they are. It is unfortunate that you are one of the few users experiencing issues.

jonh86

I think its far to say that if you ask AMD owners that most will tell you that they have issues. Of all the AMD owners I know they all agree that their AMD cards are unreliable. Some just find a nice comfort zone of drivers and games and never move on.

goodplay

Nope, 17 yrs ( some with crossfire),no major probs.

But I set up to what the card/s could/can do.

There are many flaws in your supposed tests,(20 loop fail, what good are those) and why have you ignored the Visual C++ errors you posted.

Your thread titles are misleading, in the fact you do not mention crossfire.

Editing early posts, do you think they go unnoticed ?.

You say you knew of/have had problems early on from purchase ( i'll assume your talking about the elpida memory).

Why, now (that warranty has expired ?).

You refused to supply full correct system info (xfx card, but 1 pic shows visiontek), 1000W psu, could be the 2007 POS model.

Posting on other threads unrelated to your problem ?

Sorry, but you started off badly with multiple rant threads, and just come across as a troll or nv schill.

Perhaps you would like to share some links, to posts where you have requested assistance from on other forums.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                                                              jonh86

Well goodplay good to see you're back on duty providing a wonderful experience for all of. Now lets see where to start, well I think I know what manufacturer my GPUs seen as I bought them, but off course you know better then me. Well genius, in regard to crossfire, I took the second GPU out to run tests, and low and behold the results were the same. Buggy drivers.

Here is a post I made on steam, present failed 3796 Resident Evil 7 :: RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard / BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil General Discussions

My PSU is amazing, corsair RM1000.

I see from this "why have you ignored the Visual C++ errors you posted" that you clearly have no idea what those error logs I posted were about.

I don't know what elpida memory is. The problem I've had are with the AMD cards.

Why, now (that warranty has expired

Warranty was never an issue here?

You refused to supply full correct system info (xfx card, but 1 pic shows visiontek)

Are you saying that I'm lying? What are you saying here? I don't understand? It seems that 3D Mark is mistaken as I know what version of the card I have. XFX X-Edition. If you don't believe cross reference the clock speeds with XFX card and you'll see that it is same factory OC specs.

So there we have it folks. I'm a dirty rotten liar who's made it all up for attention. AMD are great and there are never any issues with their drivers or cards.

Please stop wasting people's time with your hate. If have nothing helpful to add get lost.

ray_m

I looked at your post on the Steam forums and then I looked up the error you mentioned - present failed 3796 Resident Evil 7

I then found this interesting thread with the same issue you reported, and it has nothing to do with AMD drivers,

Error renderdevice dx11.cpp 3796 present failed :: RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard / BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil Tech Help / Sup…

So maybe it's not always the video card or drivers, it could well be an application/OS issue.

goodplay

Microsoft VC80, MSVCR120, errors > missing or corrupt.

Possible causes > faulty/bugged driver download and/or missing/corrupt/not up to date in OS files.

Possible fixes > Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers ,manual download/install full driver pack. For OS, use repair option or reinstall (I would suggest checking all MSCVR vers.to be on the safe side) from Progs. & Feats.

Do you allow Microsoft updates through win update ?

The IVssWriterCallback error, web search that for suggestions (possible AV is blocking process ?).

Can't help with the game exe. (you haven't moved them across to other drive, maybe missing file ?), where are you launching games from, and I assume you have verified game files and cleanup download cache on steam, and tried games with overlay disabled.

Have you checked Windows reliability history/report for other possible errors ?

Also possible one card may be going bad, affecting the other.

I had a side fan blowing across my crossfire setups (much cheaper than a waterblock).

jonh86

Hey goodplay. I appreciate you helping out. In terms of installing drivers, I always use the latest DDU when uninstalling.

I believe that update error is in reference to Windows defender all the other updates are installed.

I've had great performance with the crossfire in certain games so I don't think one card is bad. I also swapped them out and tested them individually.

To reasonably continue to run my xfire set I decided to get the water cooler because the main card is hovering up the hot air from the second one. The 3dmark test opened my eyes to the fact I was losing 34% of the power due to thermal issues.

I have a case with 6 fans and 15inch box fan under the table to cool it down.

The problem with RE7 and Fallout 4 are not xfire related because I disabled it for them.

I keep the OS up to date.

Actions I will take:

I have my Win 10 ISO, I'll do a fresh install.

I'll update the bios of the mobo to latest version.

I'll install the water cooler.

Then I'll post back about the results here. If the problem clears up then AMD drivers were not to blame. If it persists I'll have to stick to my previous assessment.

jonh86

It turns out that I was mistaken. I have VTX X-Edition cards, not XFX. I will update the system info.

colesdav

Hi, I'm confused... you said you built your PC, you replaced the motherboard on it once yet you did not know the make of your GPU?

First you say XFX and now VTX X-Edition.
                                                                                                            If it is a reference card the box would have said VTX on it and the GPU should have an identifiication sticker on it with maker and serial number.

Where did you purchase it from?
                                                                                                            Was it second hand?

How do you know that the GPU you are compaining about has not been dis/re assembled by someone inexperienced and does not have a hardware problem now?

If you had all of these problems with your GPU did you not try to return it to the manufacturer or original seller?

jonh86

The GPUs were bought by myself in 2013 in South Korea. They were brand new. I merely misremembered the VTX for XFX. There is no identifying features of the cards. They have stock coolers that says amd. Unless I wanted to look up the serial numbers. I only rediscovered their origin when I tried to find bios online and realised the X-Edition was made my VTX.

I have since moved to china and I disassembled and reassembled the PC.  I accidentally dropped the CPU in the socket when removing, damaging the pins and had to replace my mobo from a Maximus Hero VI to a z97-a.

I don't think it's a big issue actually and it's drawing this discussion off topic.

The cards always worked in benchmarks and certain games. There is never an issue of artifacts or other signs of hardware issues. For example Sniper Elite runs well in Dx12 mode.

If it was a hardware issue the cards wouldn't run well in certain applications. They would always fail. That is why I'm certain it is the driver.

Also the driver crashes and resets all my settings.

Have you read the forums about 17.4.1 breaking crossfire? Get your head out the sand my friend.

colesdav

RE: Have you read the forums about 17.4.1 breaking crossfire? Get your head out the sand my friend.

(1). "Get your head out the sand my friend."

Is that really necessary?

I took time last night and I read through your post from start to finish.

I was trying to look into your reported issue and think about what might be wrong.

I was just asking about the origin of the cards as what you report through the thread changed from XFX to VT-X.

I was trying to determine your exact card, because although I do not own one personally, I can get use of an XFX R9 290 to test if I need to.

I tend to remember who the card manufacturer is I select, even if it was 6 years ago.

(2). " Have you read the forums about 17.4.1 breaking crossfire?"

I can read lots of things on forums.

Sometimes it turns out there really is an issue with an AMD Driver that is reported as verified by others on the forum, and then later on by AMD if "Report Issue" has been used.

Sometimes people can report things are broken due to human error / not applying something in a GUI they thought they did etc. That includes me.

(3). As for the AMD Crimson ReLive 17.4.1. drivers I can only report what I see and based on my testing on my system so far (i74770K/Dual R9 Nano/Windows 10 64bit).

The 17.4.1 driver (Windows 10 64bit version)  is running well on Crossfire in 3DMark Firestrike at least.

It performs at a level on par with 17.3.3 and 17.2.1 in 3DMark Firestrike.
                                                                                                                    Visually it looks really good during the benchmark run.

That is usually a good indication it is working in Crossfire.

(4). I am aware that AMD and NVIDIA Drivers can have issues / problems at times on various cards/systems.

(5). Based on recent testing, the AMD 17.4.1 and indeed 17.3.3 drivers seem to have Crossfire Issues (in some areas of the game)  on Mass Effect Andromeda 1.05. That is however a brand new Crossfire Profile on a recently released game with a brand new patch 1.05 update.

(6). How do I know about AMD 17.4.1. Crossfire Performance on Mass Effect Andromeda?

I just spent 5 hours testing it in an attempt to help someone who was asking about Crossfire Support in the Game on this Forum.

I also spent an additional 5 hours verifying an issue another user reported seeing later on in the thread, that I had not initially found.

I tell you the above because you asked.

(7). I also want to point out that there are various people on this forum who will help out if they can, and sometimes spend significant amount of time to try to help others out, for free.

Anyhow I saw at the end of the thread that you have made multiple changes, such as new BIOS, OS, taken your GPU apart and fit watercooler etc and that you now have a working system.

I am glad to hear that you are now up and running.

I will not bother you again.

jonh86

Just to reiterate, the cards came in their original boxes and even had a free copy of Battlefield 4 with them that was redeemable once the cards were officially registered. Some of the editions had VTX on the fan but mine have AMD. I just installed a watercooler on my card this week so I can tell that the card itself wasn't disassembled at any pointime before I did it.

jonh86

Good to see savagebeastzero has taken time out of his busy schedule of pretending to know what he's talking about to mark an entirely unhelpful comment helpful. Great work guys, keep it up and AMD might send you a shiny new GPU.

colesdav

Hi,

No I disagree. I currently have 4  AMD Discrete GPU's, Ranging from HD7970 -> R9 280x-> R9 Nano.

With another two I want to purchase in the future. . I also own Nvidia GPU's.
                                                                                                                For the most part, everything on the AMD side has worked pretty well for me over the last 4 years, especially since the new Radeon Technology Group and the new Crimson Drivers were released. They really have done a fantastic job for my cards at least.
                                                                                                                Recent testing I have done on Crossfire and MultiGPU have performed really well on Window 10,8.1,7 and also the new AMD Drivers on Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora and RoboLinux for example are working well for me).

Sure sometimes new Crossfire profiles in new games have some issues, and can take time to fix.

That is not just down to AMD though. The game developer also has to work on it.

Trying to test and validate Software and drivers for many different game title patches and other software which may interfere with AMD Driver is likely a  massive task.

Sometimes new features might cause issues but things do get fixed if there is an issue. Use the AMD Reporting form and give feedback first.

warpfact0r10

I usually like to give folks the benefit of the doubt, but this thread is absolute 100% rubbish. I have 300+ hours in Fallout 4 on both R9 290 and RX 480. Never experienced this supposed issue.

I have complete confidence I'd be able to resolve any/all issues described above if I had the hardware in front of me.

jonh86

I5 4670

xfx r9 290

win 10 64

psu corsair 1000w

16GB ram

The system info is near the top 10 comments.

jonh86

Hey guys,

I updated the bios and reinstalled windows.

I added a water cooler to the primary card.

The key appears to be by-passing wattman as much as possible.

There have been some positive results. I got the xfire setting to pass the 3dmark stress test, with the help of MSI afterburner and the water cooler.

I'd definitely recommend anyone running these cards, r9 290s, with stock coolers in a crossfire setup to buy the arctic hybrid III. Its worth the money, my gpu didn't gets above 70c now even when stress testing. The system is quiet as a mouse when not running an xfire application. I might even invest in another I'm so damned impressed.

I believe stopping the throttling will make Deus Ex more stable.

Resident Evil 7 works better now but still throws a random black screen my way for good measure.

Fallout 4 threw a "RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64" error before crashing.

I believe the fresh install of windows has had a positive effect overall. It was originally an 8.1 that updated to 10 without any problems. Updating the bios may also have improved stability.

I will run some other titles tomorrow to check for stability.

AzureSky

alot of people are installing modified stilt bios if they have ref cards, the mod just locks the vram at 3d clocks in all states to avoid the driver bug..its not really a fix...but a workaround....

im sure, all of us who have been having these issues since 16.12.x are just incompetent...thats what i have been reading people on reddit and this forums saying alot when these issues come up....(anything about amd drivers not being great/perfect....reminds me of the nV community and how its always been...sad im part of it again...couldnt buy amd when i could get a 1070 for 335... specially knowing that, i could get the card and endup discovering that amd's pulled the same crap in 2 years and the fury/480's i got not only use to much power....but also nolonger allow me to use basic driver functions that have been around for well over a decade as standard driver features... )

still want to get ryzen...but...i dont think amd wanted me to buy vega...if they had...they wouldnt have abandoned bugfixes for cards just over 2 years off the retail shelves...

dave2791

Hello, i've the same problem with my Sapphire R9 280 Dual-X and Crimson 17.4.1, i've make a clean install of Windows Creators Update x64 Pro.

Nier Automata steam - wrong vram error

Mass Effect Andromeda origin - directx error

Ghost Recon Wildlands  uplay - start window no full window

No Man's Sky Path Finder Update gog - start window try to change to full window crash

I've rollback to Crimson 17.3.3 fix all problems.

jonh86

Thanks for your effort. I've been put on the defensive by other comments previously.

The system is up and running, however it still suffers from random unexplained black screens in resident evil 7. This happens all too often when I compare it to my nvidia 670mx. That card is too weak to play RE7 yet it plays it and is more stable than the AMD.

Why is it that amd cards are prone to be more unstable?

jonh86

In the end I installed a water cooler, and MSI afterburner which removed the throttling and thus some of the crashes.

I reinstalled Win 10.

I updated the bios of my motherboard.

The system still has issues with Fallout 4 and Resident Evil 7.

Lets hope AMD take some time to address the issues with wattman and older series cards. That seems to be best that can be done.