0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2017 9:01 AM by colesdav

Information needed on AMDGPU-PRO 16.6.0 Driver Options in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS please.

colesdav

Hello.

System Information.

CPU: i7-4770K.

GPU1:  (Primary in top PCIe3.0 Slot) R9 Nano.

GPU2: (Secondary ... previously for Crossfire but hopefully soon to be for GPU Passthrough to Virtual Machine running Windows) R9 Nano.

Motherboard: Asus Z87 Deluxe/Dual.

Ram 4 of 8GB DDR3 Crucial LP Ballistix. = 32GB in Total.

OS = Ubuntu 16.04 LTS installed on Crucial 500GB SSD.

Displays = 3 of 1080p Monitors running via 3 of DisplayPort to DVI Adapters from the GPU1 (Primary)  R9 Nano.

I am in process of moving from Windows 8.1/10 to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS as may main OS.

I read the following: AMDGPU-PRO Driver for Linux Release Notes

I installed the driver fine, and it seems to be running pretty well.

I have the Unity and KDE Plasma and Gnome Desktops installed so far, I may install more front end GUI's later. The Desktop Style is selectable at login. 

I have also installed Compiz for Desktop effects also fine.
      Steam on Linux runs well. Hitman performs and runs and looks great for me.

However there is no "Radeon Crimson" or "Catalyst Control Center" type GUI to allow me to set Driver Options.
      I can use the main Ubuntu Display Manager to configure basic Monitor Settings, but that is all.

So my questions are:

(1). Is there an Application Note from AMD regarding how to set up / change AMDGPU-PRO 16.6.0 Driver Options in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS?

(2). Is there a list of available AMDGPU-PRO 16.6.0 Driver Options in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

(3). Is there a recommended method from AMD on how to set up GPU clock speed, Memory Clock Speed,  fan speed target, temperature Targets?
      (4). Is there a recommended way to monitor GPU Temperatures / Fan Speeds/ other parameters?
      (5). Are there any plans from AMD to design a QT based GUI that can run in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS? I believe AMD Crimson ReLive is based on QT so is supposed to be "easy" to port to other platforms such as Ubuntu Linux. I would have thought with the launch of AMD RadeonPro cards for the Professional Rendering / Animation / Graphics Designer and Compute Market that a

modern front end GUI for AMDGPU-PRO Drivers would be needed at some point?

I am seeing many people interested to move to Linux as Primary OS because Windows 7 is in Extended Support and will not be supported on Ryzen or new Intel CPU's

Windows 10 or Linux will be the only option for Ryzen or new Intel CPU's. So people will have to make a choice soon.

Please also consider making it easy to set up GPU Passthrough to Virtual Machine with Ryzen so Linux users can run a Windows installation inside a Virtual Machine and utilize

an AMD GPU for Gaming/Graphics on the Windows Virtual Machine. I have seem info to say that this process is difficult with Ryzen.

I do not own a Ryzen processor yet but if you need more information I could point you to it.

I predict a wave of Linux migration which has already started and will continue to grow.

Steam support Linux and have SteamOS.

Vulkan is platform Independent and performs very well, and will have MultiGPU support in future I hope.
      I think Linux already dominates many  other areas of computing apart from consumer desktop.

Linux is no longer a tech guru only OS.

PC users where I live already make the move.
      I have been surprised myself how many people in non tech jobs have moved, and are running a version nof Linux on their desktops/laptops.

I took Ubuntu 16.04-LTS initially because it is a  well known distribution with a  long reputation and large User Base.

I find Ubuntu easier to set up, install, and use than Windows.

Thanks.