9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2017 12:18 AM by warpfact0r10

WarpFact0r10's Ryzen 7 1800X Rig Review/Build Log

warpfact0r10

by AMD Red Team Plus member WarpFact0r10 | March 25, 2017

The day had finally arrived. I held the culmination of years of tireless efforts by AMD’s talented engineers in my hand. Somehow I managed to make it down to AMD’s South Austin campus and back during my lunch hour that day. Absolutely worth skipping lunch in order to bring home the multithreaded monster that is Ryzen! The 1800X itself, 16 GB of Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4, and the MSI Titanium X370 were graciously provided to me by AMD. The opinions expressed here are my own.

AMD Ryzen sample kit wooden box: begging to be modded into an ITX PC chassis.

The motherboard:

MSI Titanium X370

The memory:

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 MHz. They also offer them with white heatsinks.

Planning/purchase:

Now that I had the foundation of the system, fleshing out the rest of it was in order. The chassis I opted for was the Rosewill Cullinan tempered glass PC case. However, the blue LED fans that it came with weren’t quite what I was looking for.

Rosewill Cullinan PC chassis.

Trying to stay with the orange/red Ryzen logo motif, I picked up a batch of orange fans by Apevia.

AF512L-SOG 120mm Orange LED fans from Apevia

Next, for the power supply I chose the Seasonic Prime Titanium series 850 watt unit. I already had the Titanium motherboard- it seemed only fitting the system should have a Titanium PSU powering it. With a 10-year warranty and lots of modded cables available, it seemed like the natural choice.

Seasonic Prime Titanium power supply.

Almost a shame it’ll wind up hidden underneath a shroud.

Speaking of cables-- I found the perfect black/white pattern of replacement PSU cables by Cablemod.com at Newegg:

For storage, I decided on a fairly small (250 GB) but very fast Samsung 960 EVO NVMe PCI-Express SSD. You won’t see it in most of the photos- it is quite well-hidden under the GPU.

Lastly, but certainly not least importantly, my CPU cooler of choice was the MSI Core Frozr L-- an absolute beast of a heatsink/fan combo. It weighs in at 2 lbs.!

MSI Core Frozr L

At this point I might as well make it a full MSI build, so I’ll be moving my MSI RX 480 over and using it with Ryzen. My current monitor is 1080p, so it’ll be plenty of performance.

On to the build:

The easy parts. CPU, RAM, and M.2 SSD all go in in seconds.

A bit of a nuisance: Apevia’s fans look great. Their stickers? Not so much.

Core Frozr L installation:

Caveats:

In retrospect, this motherboard and chassis combination isn’t ideal. A few things led me to conclude this. Firstly, the hole in the PSU shroud isn’t large enough to fit a 6-pin PCIe connector through it. The MSI Titanium has such a socket on the bottom of the board to supply extra power for GPU overclocking. I was able to work around this by painstakingly removing each of the power pins from the connector, threading them through the hole, and then connecting them on the other side. The method I used involved two staples and a lot of patience- a process I’d prefer to not repeat.

De-pinning PSU cables: not my favorite hobby.

But wait- there’s more!

It turns out the PCIe power cable wasn’t the only cable I had to de-pin. There was no room to get the audio cable connector through once the power cable was in, so I had to repeat the process for it as well. Fun.

The revenge of the PCIe power port!

I thought victory was mine after getting the cable through that hole. Not so fast! So little clearance at the bottom of the motherboard, I had to remove the board to plug in the PCIe connector.

The final challenge was getting the graphics card inserted in the slot. The design of the Cullinan’s slot cover could use a bit of a revamp to allow for larger cards. I managed to get it installed, but there was definitely some anxiety involved as I worried about applying too much force on the RX 480. After all of these challenges, the only cable management remained before I began installation of Windows.

I’m really quite pleased with how the system turned out, and I hope you’ll agree that I gave my Ryzen 1800X the home it deserves.

Gaming and Benchmarks:

The performance uplift going from FX 8370 to Ryzen 7 1800X is significant, as you can see by the 3DMark Firestrike score comparison.

Next we have the obligatory Cinebench scores:

Gaming has been outstanding as well. Ryzen performance has definitely helped this Overwatch n00b.

There are more benchmarks on the horizon, and gameplay videos in the works as well. Thanks for stopping by and checking out my review/build log!

Game on!

Always #BetterRed,

WarpFact0r10