AnsweredAssumed Answered

new 480 freezing/grey screens

Question asked by biggiegimp on Mar 24, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 24, 2017 by diedeasus@gmail.com

Hi,  I recently just purchased an ASUS Strix RX 480 8gb OC edition graphics card.  I upgraded from a 7950.  I am having troubles when playing games, such as battlefield 1 where my screen turns grey and freezes the computer forcing me to restart the computer.  I have tried numerous things after reading some forum posts, trying various drivers including the latest version,  and using DDU before installing new drivers. I have the latest motherboard bios updates as well. I have also tested the card on another computer and a different monitor with the same results.

Computer 1

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX

CPU: AMD FX-8350

PSU: 850W Seasonic

RAM: 16 GB

Windows 10 65-bit

Computer 2

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77

CPU: Intel i7 2600K

PSU: 1000W EVGA

RAM: 16 GB

Windows 7 64bit

I also tried using 2 monitors using HDMI, DVI and Display port cables.  One monitor only uses DVI/HDMI and the other monitor is a 144hz Asus gaming monitor with HDMI/DVI and DP. 

I have tried using only 1 tweak tool at a time, such as TRIXX, Afterburner and GPU Tweak...never having more than 1 installed.  Adjusting voltages, fan speeds, etc. didn't help.

I have read several forum threads with this exact similar problem but not finding any solutions anywhere online.  It appears as these issues have been dating back till early of last year.

I plan on testing this card on my friend's new computer with a new AM4 motherboard and Ryzen CPU, however, having this new GPU should't have to force me to purchase a new mobo/cpu??

It's starting to get a little frustrating...and would like to know if this is a problem that is still being addressed by AMD.  I read that earlier drivers had performance fixes for the RX480, but seems like a lot of other people are still having these same problem.

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Outcomes