4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2017 11:26 AM by diedeasus@gmail.com

new 480 freezing/grey screens

biggiegimp

Hi,  I recently just purchased an ASUS Strix RX 480 8gb OC edition graphics card.  I upgraded from a 7950.  I am having troubles when playing games, such as battlefield 1 where my screen turns grey and freezes the computer forcing me to restart the computer.  I have tried numerous things after reading some forum posts, trying various drivers including the latest version,  and using DDU before installing new drivers. I have the latest motherboard bios updates as well. I have also tested the card on another computer and a different monitor with the same results.

Computer 1

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX

CPU: AMD FX-8350

PSU: 850W Seasonic

RAM: 16 GB

Windows 10 65-bit

Computer 2

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77

CPU: Intel i7 2600K

PSU: 1000W EVGA

RAM: 16 GB

Windows 7 64bit

I also tried using 2 monitors using HDMI, DVI and Display port cables.  One monitor only uses DVI/HDMI and the other monitor is a 144hz Asus gaming monitor with HDMI/DVI and DP. 

I have tried using only 1 tweak tool at a time, such as TRIXX, Afterburner and GPU Tweak...never having more than 1 installed.  Adjusting voltages, fan speeds, etc. didn't help.

I have read several forum threads with this exact similar problem but not finding any solutions anywhere online.  It appears as these issues have been dating back till early of last year.

I plan on testing this card on my friend's new computer with a new AM4 motherboard and Ryzen CPU, however, having this new GPU should't have to force me to purchase a new mobo/cpu??

It's starting to get a little frustrating...and would like to know if this is a problem that is still being addressed by AMD.  I read that earlier drivers had performance fixes for the RX480, but seems like a lot of other people are still having these same problem.

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

• Re: new 480 freezing/grey screens
          biggiegimp

Update:  I have now tested this GPU on my friend's computer and it had the exact same issues running on battlefield 1.  Grey screens and freezes computer. 

He has an new Asus AM4 Prime Pro motherboard, Ryzen 1700, 1000watt PSU, 16 GB DDR4 3000mhz RAM, Windows 10 64bit

I'm leaning towards bringing back to where I purchased it, but am questioning an exchange or a return.

fcl00061

I have an older model asus mobo with an I5 3570k, and I have the Asus ROG RX480 O8G Gaming Strix. When I first installed it, I had an issue where graphically intensive games would cause an immediate shutdown (grey screen?)...right now, so far, it works (fingers crossed) but i had to change some settings. In Radeon's Global setting => Global WattMan, I changed the frequency in states 6 and 7 to 1250 MHz, and both voltages to 1100mV. I have not yet tried to bring it back up, but it is currently stable. I also removed the Asus GPU Tweak II utility. Some other recommendations that I came across suggested lowering the memory speed...I didn't need to in my case.

fatcamp

I have exacly the same issue as you have but i have amd r9 280.

I just updated my computer with asus prime x370 pro. amd ryzen 1700.

I have started getting this issue also. it happends during high gpu load. Like furmark or if i play games.

I dont know the issue behind it or anything. But its so annoying.

My screens turns off either light blue, dark blue, grey, light grey , dark grey or black.

I hear sounds for awhile still later it goes off and my comptuer like turns off and restart, but it wont start up, i need to hold down the power button untill it turns off later turn it on again. I have tried reinstalled like exacly everything and nothing have worked. I tried to underclock the memory and the gpu clock abit and it didnt work.

the worst thing is i dont get a bluescreen error or anything so i cant see why it turned off it just turns off without any message .

the only thing it leaves is this log "

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

Date:          2017-04-07 19:23:27

Event ID:      41

Task Category: (63)

Level:         Critical

Keywords:      (70368744177664),(2)

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      Fatcamp

Description:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>5</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-04-07T17:23:27.172013700Z" />

<EventRecordID>2583</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>Fatcamp</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>

<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>

<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>

<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>

<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>

<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>

<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">true</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>"

I dont know what is the issue and how to fix this. I did not have this problem with my old computer. that was a i5 2500k. and windows 7 64-bit.

diedeasus@gmail.com

I have the same card and looks like a simmilar issue how did you resolve it?