1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 27, 2017 8:28 AM by ibanggpu

Mass Effect: Andromeda Graphics Performance Test

kingfish

"Those wanting to game at 1440p will need to bring some serious firepower -- the Fury X for example still dipped below 40fps at times. The GTX 1070 or GTX 980 Ti are better picks here and for a constant 60fps+ you'll need a GTX 1080."To play Andromeda at 4K, you can expect to employ two high-end GPUs. Sadly though, neither SLI or Crossfire are working at the moment so even if you have invested in a pair of GTX 1080s, they won't be particularly useful in this title yet. The good news is that multi-GPU support is coming, hopefully sooner rather than later.

"Developed by BioWare and published by EA on PC, Xbox One and PS4, Mass Effect: Andromeda vows to be bigger and more beautiful than prior releases. Although initial impressions indicate that the game delivers on some of those promises, it hasn't been a flawless execution so you may want to read a full review before buying this one (or just Google "Andromeda animations")."

"Previous Mass Effect games were built upon the Unreal Engine but Andromeda uses Frostbite 3. This move meant that BioWare had to build all its systems, tools, and assets from scratch. Ironically, a big part of the switch was to help enhance character animation, so I hope they had more success in other areas.

Although Frostbite 3 does support DirectX 12, the developer has opted to stick with DX11, at least for now anyway. That's not shocking though. While Mass Effect games have always looked great, the series has never really pushed game engines to their limits. The previous three installments all used DirectX 9 for example, even 2012's Mass Effect 3 stuck with DX9 despite wide use of DX10 at the time as well as the availability of DX11."

On the graphics side, it's suggested that gamers arm themselves with at least a GeForce GTX 1060 3GB or GTX 970 -- apparently you're out of luck if you own a Radeon graphics card (kidding of course, something like the RX 470 should suffice since the GTX 1060 3GB is recommended).By failing to mention a single AMD graphics card, it's clear this is an Nvidia sponsored title, so you can expect the green team to have the upper-hand out of the gate. That said, AMD seems to be very much on top of the driver game right now and has already released an update.

AMD is claiming performance gains of up to 12% on a Radeon RX 480 with an i7-6700K and 8GB of DDR4-2666 memory, a boost that supposedly sees frame rates go from 53.7fps to a much healthier 60.1fps at 1080p. Likely contributing to these performance gains, or at least a good chunk of it, is the added 'Optimized Tessellation Profile' for the game.

As you're likely aware at this point, I'm not here to review the game but to test its PC performance so you know how it'll run on your hardware at home. Before getting to those results, let's discuss how we benchmarked Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Testing Methodology

For testing we used the AMD Radeon Crimson Edition Graphics Driver 17.3.2 Hotfix for testing the Radeon GPUs and the Nvidia based GPUs were tested using the GeForce Game Ready Driver 378.78.

We benchmarked Mass Effect: Andromeda using our Core i7-7700K test machine which sees the processor running at 4.9GHz with 32GB of DDR4-3000 memory. The performance numbers you are about to see are based on a 60 second Fraps pass from the beginning of the single player campaign after the player-controlled character crash lands (falls) on Habitat 7.

Since Origin locks you out for 24 hours after five hardware changes (graphics card or CPU), testing was painfully slow and in the end I had to purchase three accounts so I could test 15 configurations per day for this performance review. Unfortunately, this meant I wasn't able to do the usual CPU testing alongside the GPU benchmarks, so that might come in an update later.

We focused our attention on the ultra-quality preset for testing and I have to say that the game looks phenomenal with these settings.

We also tested three standard resolutions: 1080p, 1440p and 4K.Test System Specs

Next PageBenchmarks: 1080p

Mass Effect: Andromeda Graphics Performance Tested - TechSpot

1080p.png

• Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Graphics Performance Test
          ibanggpu

Ayyy lmao. my poor little rx 460 struggled so hard.

Mass Effect andromeda was apparently developed by the c-team. The A team is working on a new title and possible franchise. So ME:A& C-team were just being used as guinea pigs for the A-Team when they make their beautiful game in the frostbite 3 engine.

still this choice has caused some anger from gamers because of the mediocre quality.