17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2017 12:12 PM by slayer071680

ryzen still not working....

slayer071680

ok, this is the third asrock mobo. i have had 2 x370's and 1 b350 asrock boards. and non have worked. i have 2 ryzen cpu's. i have tried putting ram in a1, a2, b1 and b2. and nothing happens. bios does not post to screen and mobo flashes a red light. i have used jumpers to clear cmos and after i clear cmos the light on mobo will turn green for a second then returns to flashing red. i have monitor plugged directly into graphics card (i know graphics card works cause i have tried it in a different computer). i also have different sticks of ram from a different company, just in case ram is bad. but either way, computer does not post bios or boots up and board just flashes red. i took it to a computer store for exact same reason before (the computer store determined it was either bad mobo or cpu) and i got a second 1800x from amazon as a result to rule out bad cpu. so now i am stuck. i honestly don't know what to do. everything is plugged in correctly, mobo is not touching case, there is no grounding issues. i am completely stumped and baffled. is it just asrocks are selling bad boards? below is a video i made showing whats going on.

20170324 182536 - YouTube

• Re: ryzen still not working....
          rabid"t"dog

As I posted in said vid...

try pluggin in mouse n keyboard,I think thats it...sounds stupid,but had that same issue with a  friends 8370 build,till I plugged those in.

stoggy28

Sorry your having so many issues dude wish i was there to help you out

ajlueke

Hello!

I would attempt to get the system to POST with no RAM installed.  Switch off the power and unplug the PSU before removing the RAM.  Move the CMOS jumper to pins 2 and 3 for 10 seconds before moving it back,  Plug in the PSU and switch on (Never try to power on the system with the CMOS jumper switched, you can short out the motherboard this way)..  If you still get nothing, try the above procedure again but also removed the CMOS battery,  Leave the battery removed and the jumper on pins 2,3 for 10 minutes.  Replace the battery, and switch the jumper back to position 1,2 before plugging in the PSU and attempting a boot.

Let us know how that goes.  Incidentally, have you tried a different PSU?

slayer071680

turns out it was a bad psu. computerbootingup - YouTube

ajlueke

Glad it worked for you!  I asked to see if it would POST without RAM to rule out the RAM entirely.  I recall you posting that the PSU had been tested, but I mentioned it anyway because it seemed to be the only thing constant between all the different parts you tested (and the case).  When you swap out everything else and always see the same behavior you have to start looking at components that were constant throughout. 

slayer071680

ya, had 2 different computer repair shops tell me they tested it. so i thought it was fine. i took their word for it. kinda lame that i paid them to test everything and they obviously didn't. i honestly thought the mobo's were all bad because they said they tested psu. last time i take a computer shops word for something. i would have been better off just testing everything myself. think i am going to buy some tools to test stuff. i did try it without any ram. before i swapped psu's. just to narrow what was going on down. i appreciate the help!!

benman2785

looks like a ram problem -> u need to buy a working ram (from list) and patch ur bios for further ram support - maybe ur ram will work then

slayer071680

so, thanks for the help guys. it turns out it was a bad psu!! when i took it to those computer stores, they both assured me that they tested the psu!!! so i honestly didn't think it would be the psu if they said they tested it. i took their word for it!! so after losing more hair and balding faster by trying everything i could think of, swapping ram, thinking ram was bad. swapping cpu, 3 dif motherboards, turns out the entire time it was the psu!! i am on the pc right now!! i will post pics of it and show it on the ryzen build section soon. but for now, here is a vid of it finally booting up.

computerbootingup - YouTube

stoggy28

may be my bias but ive seen 2 bad corsair psu's 1 fried and smelt burnt in front of me so i tend to stay away from them now but my last system i had for 5 yrs had a evga G2 in it and worked flawless i plan on sticking with them for my business plus nice warranty

slayer071680

i had a corsair 850 watt gold certified and worked fine. sometimes even tho parts are new they come bad. hell, between 2 fried boards that came doa and this psu, i should know. lol. i have had a couple sticks of ram come doa, let's see, i think 4 mobo's over the years. this the first psu that's been doa. i have never gotta a bad gpu. just mobo's seem to be my worst luck. 1 msi, 2 asrock, and 1 gigabyte board. the gigabyte worked for about 2 years tho before it went to toast. the msi and asrock's came doa.

derrickgott007

That's a whole lot of DOA parts.  Sounds like you have a static problem and maybe you're frying components with out even knowing it.  I would invest in a static strap and take your shoes and socks off next time BEFORE you open anything and touch the psu grounding screws on your case BEFORE you open or handle said parts.   

johnweland

I'd like to add that it takes about 100v of static to fry a chip, it takes 3000v before most people will even feel the shock of static. (maybe those were mV)

ajlueke

Or at the very least, make sure you touch a metal portion of your case in between touching any components to ground yourself.  Working in an area without carpet is advisable.  I have a Thermaltake Black Widow (850W) PSU that I purchased 8 years ago that still works fine.  I swapped it out in my current build due to lacking a few connections I needed, but I don't think I've lost a PSU yet.  I did have a motherboard fail due to the southbridge chipset fan going out (back when they had those).

My Phenom II 940 is also still humming along just fine in a system my parents now use.  

slayer071680

the psu came doa. don't know how i could have static fried that. other than that. first board doa (apparently from what i know, a lot of people got bad asrock boards. seen a few people post about it on youtube). one of the boards had a scratch on it that took out tracers, one was just bad, and psu. so not really sure where you are getting a "whole lot of parts." i have never seen someone static fry a psu unless they took it apart. just not sure how one would even fry a psu. lol.