1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 24, 2017 1:01 AM by timk

Random blackscreen/crash/freezes

timk

Hi there,

My Pc recently started randomly freezing -> into blackscreen (no signal) -> into crash, In Desktop mode as well as in games.

I have an AMD HD 7870 gpu.

Now I am trying to find out what is causing it. Hardware vs Software. Any help is appreciated.

i5 3570k

HD7870 (equivalent to R9 270X)

Driver: 17.2.1

2x4 GB (8GB) Ram

Win10 64bit

I used my cpu and gpu overclocked for 5 years with no issues, until now. Is it possible that cpu or gpu is dying?

I tested:

1. Prime95 ~2hours = no errors
      2. Furmark ~30min= no error
      3. memtest ~ 6hours= no errors
      4. memtest86+ (dos) = no errors

^^Yet the PC randomly crashes, then blackscreens. I tryied an older WHQL driver 16.10.1, which didn't help, still random blackscreens.

Btw. temperatures are fine, under load cpu (max. 70°C) and gpu (max. 80°C)

I overclocked my DRAM once just for testing purposes and increased voltage from 1.5v to 1.6v. Is it possible that overclocking the dram damaged the memory controller inside the intel cpu? If so, would that cause the symptoms that I'm having right now (random blackscreen/crash) ?

Unfortunately I dont have a second graphicscard to replace and test if the gpu is broken.

Edit: Is it possible, that any of the following can cause blackscreens?

Note: I used this PC for about 5 years with no problem.

• Mainboard
      • Asus PCIe Sound Card
      • Bequiet 580w PSU
      • SSD (Windows)
      • 2x HDD
      • Windows 10

What is causing the blackscreen /crash? I have no idea.

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Random blackscreen/crash/freezes
          timk

Ok, I found out that only one power led of the two 6pin connectors from my GPU is lighting green, the other one is off. Both 6pin connector led's are supposed to be green when powered on. Disconnecting both 6pin cables turns both connector led's red.

So either the one green led is broken, or the graphicscard has actually a power issue, which would make sense, considering the blackscreens and freezes. Question is, why is the card able to boot into windows and "only" causing random blackscreens/crashes, when it shouldn't even boot with only one working 6pin power cable? Because when disconnecting the 6pin (the one that doesnt turn green), the PC wont even start.

Unfortunately I can't get my hands on a new gpu until early next week, so I'm stuck with theorizing.