10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2017 2:59 AM by kennys

Bios & recovery not accessible.

kennys

With my Dell Inspiron desktop 3650 running Windows 10 I installed an AMD firepro v4800 graphics card, the installation was successful and the graphics card works well as expected. However when the computer is switched on or restarted the monitor does not switch on until the windows welcome screen so it is impossible to access the bios also if I try to access Recovery through Update and security the monitor switches off. I have tried a different card in there and exactly the same thing happens.  If I take the card out the computer works on VGA as normal. Can anyone give me a solution or help me in finding one as I have tried every possibility I can think of.

• Re: Bios & recovery not accessible.
          goodplay

Possibly Fast Startup and/or Fast Boot options.

Check on tenforums.com/ for Tuts., help, tips.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              kennys

Hi Goodplay,

for taking the trouble to reply I had not realised that fast boot or fast start could cause problems. I changed the settings on my desktop and unfortunately it did not cure my problem, when I the switch on the monitor does not switch on until the welcome screen or if I hit any of the options in troubleshoot  the monitor switches off although the computer stays on. Thanks for the suggestion.

gkeawe

If you have access to the BIOS, look for Graphics settings and see if there is an option to boot from PCIe/PCI option, if you select PCIe the graphics card will be used to boot, if not the onboard VGA will be used. Let us know if you get it resolved.

kennys

Hi gkeawe,

Thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately I can't easily get access to the bios, I have to remove the graphics card and go back to the VGA connection to the monitor. I will do this as soon as I can most likely tomorrow, I will let you know how I get on.

Hello kennys,

Dell Inspiron desktop 3650 is a semi-customised computer, so I could not the detail configuration about your computer. But through your words, I might guess, there is an integrated GPU present on your system, the main processor might be from Intel or AMD, leaving only the VGA port out. You connected your monitor to the external graphics card through HDMI. There might be a problem that dual GPU are working together, so the system might recognise the integrated GPU as the primary, and the additional card as the secondary. So you would miss the information dumped by the firmware. If in this situation, I suggest you connect your monitor back to the integrated GPU through VGA port first, and press F2, Del or something less to enter SETUP/BIOS/UEFI, disable the integrated GPU. Turn off your computer, connect your monitor back to the additional card through HDMI. This time problem might be solved. Anyway, I just wish you good luck!

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

kennys

Hello gkeawe,

I have looked although the bios and as far as I can see there is nothing related to PCI/e/PCE. I have taken some photos of the bios pages I shall hve to see if I can attach them or copy.

Ken.

Hello Aaron,

Thank you for your reply, my problem is I do not really understand the bios settings. UEFI is mentioned but there does not seem to be any options. Thanks for your help, best wishes Ken.

3650bios2.jpg3650bios1.jpg3650bios3.JPG

kennys

Hello again Aaron,

I forget to say before that the card does not have an HDMI connection only a DVI and two display ports, I had previously tried them both and got the same result as with the DVI connection.

Regards, Ken.

DVI port, Display Port and HDMI ports, they are more or less the same, or similar exactly, could be transformed with only needing a sample circuit for the digital signal nature. Some DVI port could also transmit the digital audio signal, so those DVI ports could be simply transformed onto HDMI or Display Port with a single dongle. And Display Port and HDMI port could be transformed onto DVI without any barrier. But on Intel platform, VGA port always plays the primary display port, displaying everything since the system is booting up. If without disabling Intel Multi-Display, digital ports always play as secondary connection towards additional monitor(s). It seems that there is no option to disable the Integrated GPU, so the additional card would work along with it. Try to disable Intel Multi-Display feature under SETUP/BIOS/UEFI, and try to set the primary card as your AMD card with the utility provided by the drivers under Windows system.

Hello kennys,

So many thanks for your feedbacks! Like what I guessed your system is based on Intel platform rather than AMD. Yeah, as far as I know, Intel platform is optimised for NVidia GPU rather than AMD GPU. So please pay attention to the item, Intel Multi-Display, on the first photo. Try to disable it and have another try.

kennys

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for your reply, I was able to  disable the Intel Multi display but unfortunately it did not have the desired effect. I put the graphic card back in and switched on but got no display at all, the computer was working OK apart from that as I could see it on my home group. I have set the bios back to default but have not put the card back in yet.

As a matter of interest when I purchased this desktop a little while ago they were selling a version  of it with an AMD firepro graphics card pre-installed now as you pointed out the are using NVIDIA cards. Dell technical help could not help me with this problem, I wonder why they changed suppliers.

Once again thanks for your help. Ken.