9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2017 10:01 PM by hargreve.inc@inbox.ru

Asus Strix RX 480

hargreve.inc@inbox.ru

Good day to all. I now have AsusStrix GTX 1060 6GB, I think to replace to Asus Strix RX480 8GB ... What do you think about this, is it worth it?

• Re: Asus Strix RX 480
          curoamarsalus

I think the 1060 and the RX480 are pretty comparable cards, and the RX 480 is still getting driver updates and performance optimizations, so the card still has a bit of lifetime left to it. If I had a 1060, I'm not sure I would want to spend the money to grab a marginally better GPU. I'm saying this with the intention to try to save you money, even though I personally think the RX480 is a better graphics card. (Either are better than my 270x, that's for sure!)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            rabid"t"dog

Unless you are doing 4k gaming,both cards are pretty close.

In 4k the 480 hands down

slayer071680

i'd say save your money and wait for vega to be released. the 1060 and the 480 are very similar cards and you won't gain much if anything by swapping. if you are going to spend money on the price of 1060 just get another 480 and crossfire it. you will gain way more by crossfire config than you would off a single 1060 or 480.

other things to consider is that the 1060 can't be sli'd. nvidia has terrible support for legacy drivers. once next gen cards get released they nix driver support for older cards fast. where as amd has always had a much longer longevity. i have a ati 5750 in the computer i am on now (it's an old computer i use to do work on) and it works just fine and i was getting driver updates on it till last year!!! i have had the card for 7 years and they finally quit doing driver updates. so with all that said, if i was you, i wouldn't get the 1060.

hargreve.inc@inbox.ru

Thank you, I also thought about waiting for Vega to leave. I think I'll do it, I heard that there will be 12 GB of video memory, but what do you think?

slayer071680

i have a msi 480 in my ryzen rig right now. i am waiting on vega to be released before i upgrade my card. i figure if i wait a few months, the price of a 1080ti will drop drastically. so either way, if vega comes out and it is spectacular, i will get that, if it's subpar, i will get the 1080ti.

but, with all the time the devs have to release vega, pretty sure they are going to knock it out the park. so i am not too worried about it.

spinalfailed

As the owner of an MSI GTX 1060 6gb AND an MSI RX480 Gaming x 8gb i will tell you that both perform about the same.  Depends on the game optimization and whether it's DX 11/12.  As others have said wait for Vega.  I think if you switch cards to team red thinking it is substantially faster you will be disappointed. It will be mostly a lateral move and not an upgrade.  With that said I love my 480. Prior to getting the 480 I had an MSI 390, which replaced an XFX 290 which replaced an MSI 7770.  I'm definitely a fan of team red so I'm not saying stick with Nvidia it's better i just think you would be wasting money.  Upgrade to Ryzen and Vega!