12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2017 4:22 PM by sparkyork

RX 480 8gb nitro crashing pc and other strange things

sparkyork

hi all, it seems theres plenty of problems rx related ive had a read through and thought id post up for some advise. :-)

my pc;  i7 2600k 3.4

8GB corsair veng' ddr3 1600

corsair ssd

ASUS p67 sabertooth mobo

ocz fatality 750 watt psu

rx 480 8gb nitro (current ish)

HD6970 (previous)

system been running flawlessly since 2011 when i bought the bits off ebuyer. bought the rx 480 8gb from ebuyer last weekend, all seemed ok at first playing gta v with substantially better graphics than my 6970 (though i could play for hours on the old gpu with no issues). Then the pc completely shutdown and restarted, it did this three times in total and also once during a heaven benchmark test.

I rung ebuyer and chap agreed that my psu should be adequate for the new gpu, i have i think haha 4 rails totalling 650w and one rail connected supplying approx 165 watts or 18 amps, ebuyer confirmed the card needs 225 watt and that it gets 75 ish from the pcie port. so im looking at supplying around 150 watt through my psu conncection.

can anyone shed any light on to whether my psu is a bit close to the limit on the gpu supply? the box states recommended 500 watt supply. it seems to me if theyd of stuck with two power connectors it might of been ok.

Also when my pc crashes its logged in event viewer as kernel power system id 41. (kind of suggests power related and the way it shuts down also suggest power to me.

the card is currently still connected just to access internet, as im not happy with how things are at the minute.

Another strange problem that has occured is ive noticed my cpu seems cooler than it normally is, my pc has been on for half an hour now and everything else via ai suite has gone up accordingly but my cpu has dropped from 22 to 17 degrees c!. on this boot up i also had bios warn about low fan speed on my afermarket cooler, i altered the limit in bios and reset. my cpu has never been this cool and looks odd to be fair,  i have recent upgraded my bios from 1602 - 3602.  i havnt upgraded the chipset yet as the description didnt sound that necessasry. but will probably upgrade it to be sure.

Also my mobo is pci x2 and rx 480 is pci 3 but i would expect no issue with this ?

also just used the hwinfo program and after a short run on heaven it peaked at 158watt GPU and 135 amps ! gpu current? wonder if it means 13.5 amps

sorry for the essay and any help is gratefully received

rich

• Re: RX 480 8gb nitro crashing pc and other strange things
          black_zion

18A 12v rails are an antiquated ATX spec. Also, that PSU is complete garbage, look at this: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/ocz-fatal1ty-750-w-power-supply-review/6/

The four rails are distributed like this:

• +12V1 (solid yellow wires): Main motherboard cable.
          • +12V2 (yellow/red wires): Half of the ATX12V/EPS12V connector.
          • +12V3 (yellow/green wires): Half of the ATX12V/EPS12V connector, half of the modular connectors (two for video cards and two for SATA/peripheral).
          • +12V4 (yellow/black wires): EPS12V connector, half of the modular connectors (two for video cards and two for SATA/peripheral).

Means out of a max of 216w you can have everything not the ATX supply drawing on one rail, that's horrid design, plus the OEM is not quality (Highpower). Replace it.

sparkyork

thanks black zion, i had a bit of a tinker yesterday and did a safe mode ddu to rule out any issues on this side. the results turned up two gpus at 000 and 0001 or something like that, sounded like a potential problem so proceeded to undo all drivers and started again, currently on crimson 17.2.1 i am also plugged intot the other pci connection on the psu as it aided cabling.

ive ran heaven all the way through to max settings barring teselation just on normal i think, and it performed very well with no shutdown. (previously shut down)

so i ran doom again that came with the card (also crashed after five mins previous) i was able to play for a good half hour with no issues.

i could of lucked out by selecting a different psu connection that doesnt interfere with two many other systems maybe

my cpu is still reading quite cool but seems to be more realistic in bios. prob a asus ai suite issue ?

i did think psu also as this is what i asked ebuyer technical about. but on spec it should be able to deliver enough power with a few amps spare. i am however unsure of how much extra this card apparenlty takes from the pci slot and whether this is one of the main upsets for my shutdowns ?

i am definately going to get a new psu as if i get over the paranoid state thinking my card is duff i may sli another one. (currently crimson seems to be controlling or not controlling the fans as per wattman either

can you recommend a decent psu for around £100, would like to avoid the super performance gaming tax haha

cheers

rich

sparkyork

Ive now decided to rma the card, after spending £90 + on a new psu and doing all the usual memtest, prime95 tets etcit just seems like to much hard work. spoke to my supplier and they have said im not the only one having issues, gonna throw a few extra pennies in and go for a 1080 and have done with it hopefully :-)