6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2017 2:51 AM by hergendy

RX 480 with CS:GO unplayable driver crashes

hergendy

So I recently bought an MSI RX 480 8GB Gaming series video card, updated to the latest 17.3.3 drivers, and I find myself unable to play counter-strike: global offensive due to constant driver crashes every 10-30 seconds. This is the only game I encounter problems with, and my "old" R9 380 didn't have a single issue like this with the game, so I have to ask here.

The driver crash looks like the game freezing, then screen going black for ~10 seconds and then the game comes back just fine.

RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB@1866

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD: WD10EZEX 1TB

CPU: FX-6300 @stock

GPU: @stock (OC mode of MSI Gaming app)

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A DS3P

PSU: Coolermaster 600W black edition

• Re: RX 480 with CS:GO unplayable driver crashes
            hergendy

I tried everything in there, and every once in a while, other games crash too, like Witcher 3, Far Cry 4 at likely the same points (Witcher 3 crashing at the little blacksmith guy's shop interface, Far Cry 4 crashing usually after cutscenes) and the windows system logs show a warning message these times with the following: Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered. Not sure why is it happening, and was not happening with the R9 380 at all. What do you suggest?

kingfish

I suggest you delete or disable all third party applications like afterburner, MSI, Asus graphics controller, etc. They have proven to conflict with the newer AMD driver controllers. Despite what some users say, more issues have been resolved (with the newer Crimson ReLive editions) by disabling/deleting these apps than trying to make/force them to work. Use what AMD/Wattman offers. Use the "factory Defaults' option on the home page to un-do any changes made by said applications.

Change your TDR setting > Graphics driver stopped responding and has recovered....TDR fix

Put your computer power plan to 'High Performance" (not 'balanced'!)

Set your Power Limit to +50.

Do not change anything else. Leave fan control at automatic. Just set your MAX Temp to manual and 80c....don't change 'minimum' temperature if you have that option. Don't forget to click the 'apply' box that will appear at the top of the page

Some more thoughts > AMD graphics performance

Screenshot_11.png

Screenshot_2 (6).png

This may not 'fix' CS:GO as the link describes this issue with AMD and Nvidia graphics. It could help though...

hergendy

I tried everything in your post, DDU'd the driver, uninstalled MSI App, installed fresh 17.3.3 driver, set the power limit to 50%, max temp to 80˙C, changed the computer to high performance setting, set the Tdr to 8, did a MemTest, checked the drives with HDSentinel and nothing seems to be corrupt or damaged. I really have no other idea as to what could be the issue other than the graphics card may be faulty. I even reinstalled the windows after this started to happen with the new card, so no problems there whatsoever. And I get driver crashes in every game possible, sometimes even on the desktop.

Shall I try for a warranty on the card?

Edit: I just did a 2-hour smooth gameplay of GTA 5, no errors whatsoever. Although CS:GO and Overwatch get display errors right when I try to join a game or even in the menu.

Edit2: Played Far Cry 4, Overwatch and CS:GO (with bots only) without errors for several hours now. No idea what happened or what had not happen, but so far so good. Might update if errors still show up.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      hergendy

So the uhm, crashes have come back, but I have changed nothing since on the computer, except there have been a windows update just before the crashes started again, and the only useful part I can find in the system logs, is this message with Event ID of 10016

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}

and APPID

{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}

to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

But the Warning message of the amdkmdap driver crashing and successfully recovering is not even there most of the times. And it doesn't just happen in games, it happens even when I am on the desktop doing literally nothing taxing on the video card, or just watching a youtube video. I am completely clueless now.

Edit: That might not be the problem, probably not even related with it, I don't know, but sometimes I get a BSOD with the error code of :

" Stop code : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

What failed: atikmdag.sys "

Edit2: Just as a sidenote, I want to mention, that between the SSD (OS drive) and the system there have been communication errors 1421 times according to HDSentinel and the condition of the SSD is at 95% with a Wear Level Count of 95.

hergendy

So I have been unable to fix the problem, so did the worst case scenario, and reinstalled the whole windows, and the problem kinda disappeared, but now I get sometimes (not that frequently and that critical of an error) amdkmdap display driver adapter didn't respond and recovered. Any idea what could cause that?