0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2017 7:32 PM by bareessence

Cool and Quiet enabled limiting overclocked R7 1700 to 2.7Ghz

bareessence

MB is ASRock AB350 Pro4 with 16GB DDR4 3200 GSkill @2667Mhz 1.35V

When running in "auto" mode for core clocking and voltage and Cool and Quiet enabled, the system runs at 3.0 and turbos on all cores to 3.2Ghz under heavy load benchmark; AIDA64. Processor shows 100% in AIDA and 100% in WIndows 10 task manager. Windows shows the correct clocks as does Ryzen Mater. When the system gets idle, the clocks come down in the 2.x Ghz range.

First question, how far down should the clocks go when cool and quiet is active in a stock format?

When I manually clock the cores to 3.8Ghz and 1.35V with Cool and quiet disabled, Windows and Ryzen Master show a little under 3.8Ghz and everything runs as expected. When idle, the clocks stay at 3.8.

Final test and real issue ... manually clock the cores to 3.8Ghz and 1.35V with Cool and quiet enabled. Actual core clock in Windows and Ryzen master show just under 2.7Ghz when under load and never exceeds that. When idle, the clock comes down a bit; around 2.3Ghz. Windows also shows a Maximum clock value which is the 3.8Ghz set in BIOS. Windows Task Manager shows only 80% utilization across all cores, but AIDA 64 shows 100% CPU utilization. The Maximum Speed on the same task manager performance as the actual tab shows 3.8Ghz, but the processor never runs at that and shows Actual 2.7Ghz. But it does run cooler and quieter. However, I confused why under load is not 3.8Ghz; or at least over 3.0Ghz.

I also benched with CPU-Z Stress on the Bench tab to see if the scores were different. 14K with C&Q enabled and 19K with it disabled; same values for everything else and only C&Q setting changed on the restart. So it's not just a reported value issue. It's greatly affecting performance 35+%.

Is 2.7Ghz expected behavior when overclocked with Cool and Quiet enabled? I would think not.

If not, does this sound like a CPU or MB issue?

Thanks for any info.