0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2017 5:10 AM by banomann

atikmdag.sys BSOD error, caused by dxgkrnl.sys

banomann
      • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release_inmarket.170303-1614)
      • Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
      • Memory: 8192MB RAM Available OS Memory: 8090MB RAM
      • DirectX Version: DirectX 12
      • Card name: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
      • Motherboard: SABERTOOTH 990FX

Last week I installed my new SSD - Crucial MX300 2.5 inch. I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on it. The first day or two was fine, I didn't have any issues. The first issue I came across was when I was playing CSGO, was that my screen froze on the last frame, while the sound kept repeating. Either it came back after a few seconds, or it would crash my computer completely. I went on the r/globaloffensive thinking it was just an issue with csgo. I tried the troubleshooting methods suggested by other users. When I checked event viewer, the issues I had occurred at the same time as the warning I received in the event viewer - "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

The problem I'm having is that the atikmdag.sys file is not in the system32\drivers folder. So I can't even try this method:

[1] Rename atikmdag.sys file to atikmdag.sys.old (in Window's system32 driver folder)

[2] Copy atikmdag.sy_ (found in AMD installation folder) to desktop.

[3] Go to Desktop-folder in cmd.exe and type EXPAND.EXE atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys

[4] Now there's a new file in desktop called atikmdag.sys, and copy it to system/driver -folder

due to the fact that I can only find the atikmdag.sys in my AMD folder. I do not have an atikmdag.sy_ file anywhere either.

Finally today I used BlueScreenView and realised that all of my crashes were "caused by driver: dxgkrnl.sys", which I'm told is my Direct x graphics kernel? I've done a stress test using Furmark and it crashed during it. So does it seem like my GPU needs a replacement? Any help would be greatly appreciated.