11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2017 8:59 AM by gkeawe

Asus B350-PLUS overvolting 1700 to over 1.5V at load at 3700Mhz and making the CPU reach TJ  max shutting the system down.

tundral

So I think this was because I had enabled an auto-overclocking feature in the BIOS, but other people have reported high temps and voltages even with untouched BIOS settings. All the time I thought I was setting my voltage through Ryzen master while OCing, with quite low clockspeeds and voltages (voltages according to Ryzen master).

I was getting really high temps under load (Prime95 small FFT), like 85-95+C high and the sytem kept crashing. I thought the temps were inaccurate cause I had heard of that kind of thing with Ryzen. But then once I noticed from CPU-Z and the Asus utility that the voltages were hitting around 1.55V at load I realized that my problem wasn't instablity caused by an overclock with too high clockspeed and too low voltage, but rather my CPU was actually hitting TJ max and shutting the coputer down. And thinking there was a problem with my voltages set in the Ryzen master I adjusted voltage in the Ryzen master and tried again with the Small FFT, everytime the system would crash, and I thought it was an unstable OC.

The thing is that I didn't realize the motheboard would do this, especially because the CPU didn't even be set above 3000-3200Mhz without me manually setting it to that in Ryzen master. The CPU seeems to work well but I fear that the chip has been damaged and it's lifetime decreased by having it reach TJ max multiple times, and it running at voltages hitting almost 1.55V for some time after it inevitably always crashed the system.

I don't really know what to do since this isn't a problem with the chip and that's why I don't expect or even want to ask for AMD to help me. After that I have 4 options, which are:

1. Keep the CPU and hope it's lifespan hasn't been noticeably decreased because of this

2. Ask Asus for help with this and the possibility if they could exchange my chip because their motherboard has been overvolting my chip and making it overheat, and this has been with a respected aftermarket heatsink

3. Return the CPU to the retailer, which I could do under the consumer protection law return time of one month. The thing just is that I'd feel bad to know that my chip might just end up in the hands of some other consumer who might want to overclock their chip, and might end up with a chip that doesn't last as long as it should. My retailers website did say that the chip has a 1year warranty, but I think that's only the timeframe the retailer will feal with warranty requests and after that it would go according to this AMD warranty: AMD Processor in a box (PIB) 3 Year Limited Warranty.

If the CPU having the 3 year warranty is the case then maybe I could just keep the CPU because if it decides to stop working before the 3 year warranty period I'd be covered by AMD, and if it stops working after the 3 years I'd then be prepared (and actually already might have) to buy a new CPU.

What do you guys think I should do, should I even be so worried about the CPU as I am?