20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2017 11:37 AM by ajlueke

ryzen not working

slayer071680

K, I literally have had 2 asrock motherboards (2 different ones) and 2 1800x cpus sent to me. I have 4 different ddr4 sticks of ram, 2 psu's, and everything is literally brand new. when i first got my cpu, motherboard and components i hooked it all up and nothing happened. the bios didn't even boot up on the computer. so just in case i did something wrong, i took it to a computer repair shop. they said that the psu and ram was fine but they could not check motherboard or cpu because they didn't have any as ryzen products were so new. they said the problem was either motherboard or cpu.
      so i sent back the motherboard and it was out of stock so i bought another motherboard off of newegg. the first was a x370 and the second was a b350. both asrock. second motherboard came in mail, i hooked it up, nothing happened. so i figured that it was the cpu, amazon expedited second chip (i still have both chips and will send first one back, but not till i get this diagnosed). and put second cpu in computer, nothing happened. so i went to best buy today and bought 2 more sticks of ram just to check to see if it was the ram. nothing. i swapped power supply's. nothing. i took motherboard out of case and rested it on box just in case something was grounding out. nothing. i also swapped ram stick configuration around, nothing happened. i also also reset the cmos jumpers, nothing happened.
      so i literally don't know what to do!! i made a video of this and will attach it to here. i tried attaching hdmi and dvi cords to monitor and nothing happens. i noticed it seems like the motherboard is resetting itself. like it powers on and off but nothing posts on the screen. i sincerely think the bios is messed up on both motherboards but cannot figure out how to prove this or fix it. as i can't even get on a display to flash the bios!!
      i am hoping that someone from amd see's this and helps!! newegg literally doesn't pay for return shipping for defective products (amazon does) and most of the stuff i bought has been off of newegg. and i really want my ryzen pc to work. I am currently going to school for IT-software development and IT-mobile app development (i am duel majoring), i plan on using my pc to run a light server, to use it for 3d rendering (for classes that teach how to build video games and for various other tasks) and plan on using it for gaming (as it will be an all around pc). i don't have a lot of money and a blew a decent portion of my budget on building this pc. (i sold my other pc, it was also a gaming pc that had an amd 8320 cpu and 2 r9 380's crossfired, i sold it for 750 and it paid for roughly half of this build, but i am out a decent computer now). So anyways, with sending a single motherboard back to newegg is 20 bucks. if i send another it will be another 20. if i send other parts it will start to rack up. i don't know what else to do? after literally 2 motherboards and 2 cpu's and all these new parts and nothing working. i am at a complete loss.
      btw, i work in telemarketing, i have 4 herniated disks in my neck, i got hit in the face with a baseball bat for protecting a girl who was getting beat up. i have a metal plate in my face from this incident. i cannot physically work hard physical labor any more (which is what i have done most my life) so hence why i am going to school for IT. and being able to run a light server and utilize the things i planned with this ryzen build would definitely help me get a start. however, without having this good work computer, i won't be able to do what i planned. so....to make a long story short, i really really really need this pc to work. so can someone please help me!!!!

this thing won't let me post the video i made of this thing not booting up!!!

• Re: ryzen not working
          slayer071680

here is the video of this. i posted it too youtube. here is the link: 20170316 205529 - YouTube

arcticwind

The first thing I can see is that you have the monitors plugged into the motherboard.

The Ryzen 1800x is a CPU not an APU, so it will not utilize the onboard graphics.

You need to have a GPU installed and only one monitor connected to it to start with.

Do you have a speaker plugged into the motherboard?  If so are you getting the POST beep?

Have you plugged in "both" of the motherboard power cables?

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                  shaneherald

um wait a minute here ......lmao!!!!!!! the guy at the computer repair shop did not see this as a issue?......no gpu....on a Ryzen 7?....what kind of pc repair shop wuz this?....lmao....sorry you have been having so many issues man but that to me is where i stopped reading for a minute to lmao!!!!!

you have done alot of your own trouble shooting .....when i first powered mine on i had to hold the power button down for alot longer then i thought i needed to

i do not know why .....

its never done it again

ajlueke

It is difficult to see in the video, but as arcticwind pointed out, Ryzen is not an APU, it has no graphical component.  Without a video card you won't see anything on your displays.

As far as booting up, first plug your power cable into the PSU, and flip the "I, O" switch on the back of the PSU to on,  and you should see power indicator lights on your motherboard light up.

If that doesn't happen, ensure you have both the large ATX 24 cable seated in the motherboard, and that any CPU 4 or 8 pin power connector on the motherboard (Typically top left corner by the CPU socket) also seated.

Let us know how it goes.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      slayer071680

i have an msi 480 i have had hooked up with it too. still doesn't work. i posted video showing i tried using mobo's direct connection to the hdmi and dvi on mobo. also, this mobo should work with those connections as this is what the mobo has integrated (posted below this).

someone on fb forums said he was having same issue. said it could be ram has to high of mhz. said that his mobo was experiencing the same thing (he said he has an asus b350) and said that he had to use 2133 MHZ. so i am kinda wondering if that is the issue here. i have 2 different sticks of ram. 1 is a gskill and the other is pny, but both are 2400. and according to some other people, i guess some mobo's aren't working due to the higher frequency of ram quite yet. not sure if that is the prob or not, but very well could be.
                      so anyways, i am going to take it to a computer shop and have them test it. i simply don't want to put more money into it yet again for that not to work (bought those extra sticks of ram last night from best buy for $145). so, i am going to make sure they have lower frequency ram to test on. other than that, i cannot think of why it is not working.

Onboard Video

Onboard Video Chipset
                      Integrated AMD RadeonTM R7/R5 Series Graphics in A-series APU
                      DirectX 12, Pixel Shader 5.0
                      Max. shared memory 2GB
                      Three graphics output options: D-Sub, DVI-D and HDM
                          ajlueke

"Integrated AMD RadeonTM R7/R5 Series Graphics in A-series APU"  The operative words here are "in A-series APU", not a CPU like you are using.  None of the current AM4 chipsets have any graphical components in them.  Without an APU installed nothing with display from the motherboard display ports.

Make sure to install the GPU and hook that up.  In the video, I don't see any power indicator lights on the motherboard.  Typically, when the board is getting power you will see those light up, even if you haven't powered on the machine with a power switch.  Plug the power supply into an outlet you know has power.  Flip the switch on the back of the power supply to on, many ship in the off position.  Don't worry about adding RAM or powering on the machine at this point.  If you do not see power indicator lights on the motherboard turn on, something is either wrong with the PSU, Motherboard or the cables connecting them.

"i guess some mobo's aren't working due to the higher frequency of ram quite yet. not sure if that is the prob or not, but very well could be."

All DDR4 RAM will run at 2133MHz when you first install them.  You then overclock them in UEFI to the frequencies and timings they are rated for.  All sticks of memory will default to 2133 MHz when you first install them.

arcticwind

Try running it with only one stick of RAM in the A2 slot.

RAM placement matters on these new board and 2400MHz should be used in the A2-B2 slots.

See the motherboard specifications on the AS Rock website.  

sinner85

Have you checked, if the Clear CMOS jumper is on the correct pins?

Also as in previous replies, make sure you are using your graphics card, and not on-board display.

slayer071680

ya, i cleared cmos correctly. the mobo comes with a jumper on it, and i just had to move it over 1 spot. let it sit for a couple minutes to make sure it was cleared, then put jumper back on how it was. i also tried to clear it, then left jumper completely off. just to see if it would work.

redteam6

how long are you waiting for it to post. This maybe a silly question but I have asrock killler and an asrock k4 gaming. These

boards take a long  time to post initially. They even may seem like they are in a boot loop on fist start up. this is due to asrocks

bios self checking on fist boot. I thought my 1700x was defective and rma'd it lol. but after installing my 1700 I realized what was happening.

slayer071680

i left it running a couple minutes a few times. and even for about 15 minutes once. nothing happened. i think it may be stuck in a loop and the bios is messed up on the mobo. i took it to another computer repair shop, they had lower frequency sticks of ram to test it on, so if that doesn't work, then i think it is the mobo bios is messed up. and since it isn't even posting to the screen i can't flash it. kinda sucks.

glad to hear you got yours working tho.

chazeldazell

In the video the single ram stick looked like it was in slot 1. On my msi board a single stick has to populate the 2nd slot. Dual channel like with like so slot 2 and 4 same ram and slot 1&3 same ram.

milanamd

I had the same issue initially. I fixed it by placing RAM sticks on slot 3 and 4. This will boot my "HyperX RAM 2666Mhz" in single channel mode and on 2133Mhz. Once in bios manualy change to 2400Mhz, save and reboot. This time remove the RAM stick from slot 3, back to slot 2, and now you'll be able to boot in dual channel. Also verify RAM compability on mobo's website - very important. Also, start with 2 sticks, no more no less.

slayer071680

so....found out what the problem is and i didn't even see it. i took it to that computer shop and they found that the mobo was damaged. literally a scratch in it that took out tracers. i didn't even see it cause it was a small scratch. board came bad. this the last asrock mobo i buy!! this the second one i got that came bad now. the asrock had better features than similar priced asus or msi that's why i got them. but i am going to just get an asus or msi. screw it.

ajlueke

This question was answered in a subsequent post.

ryzen still not working....

We should mark this thread as answered.  I believe the issue was a faulty PSU.