It appears (found similar one on Amazon) you may have a 220watt power supply. The RX460 suggests a 400watt PSU.
So.. you'll need to open up the computer and find the PSU wattage (sticker on side of PSU). If you can take a picture of the sticker post it here.
Thanks for your reply. Hardwood Just looked & the power supply is indeed 220w. The closest one I could find to fit my tower was a 350w. Looks like I may need to buy a cheap tower so I can put a larger psu in it. (maybe 500w)
Wonder if my DTX motherboard will fit in the Corsair Carbide SPEC-M2 (MicroATX case). If so, should I look for a different GPU or should I stick with the RX 460 2GT LP?
I don't wanna spend a whole lot ( max $300) to upgrade my old junker but am planning to hand it down to my kid once I buy a new PC within the next year or so.
2 of 2 people found this helpful
If you can find a 350 that fits I'd bet it will do the job. That's just one problem solved.
I tried to find some info about your motherboard and this is close I assume Gateway SX2380-UR318 Review & Rating | PCMag.com
So it looks like it has a PCIe 16x slot for a graphics card which means somewhere in the BIOS you can specify whether it will initialize the onboard graphics or the GPU you add to it. Sometimes the BIOS is smart enough to recognize you added a card and will not offer a choice (autodetect). Find that and make a note.
Once the PSU is installed and you can boot the computer, download the latest Crimson driver for your OS and the RX460 which is 17.2.1 or 17.3.2 Download Drivers
Do these in order..
1) unistall the AMD APU driver Catalyst or Crimson whichever you have. Don't do a "clean" uninstall if it offers the choice. You have an AMD chipset which may/will get pooched.
2) Shut down the computer, unplug from wall and install the new vidcard.
The next step is only necessary if the BIOS does offer a choice.
3) Start up and go into BIOS setup and change to PEG or whatever they call initializing the new discete vidcard. Save that and shutdown.
4) Swap video cable to new vidcard and turn on the computer.
5) Install the latest catalyst version and restart when it's done installing.
6) cross fingers.