10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2017 12:37 PM by black_zion

Microsoft blocks ALL Windows 7 & 8.1 updates for AMD Ryzen & Intel Kaby Lake Users

black_zion

Microsoft Suspends Win 7/8.1 Updates For Intel Kaby Lake, AMD Ryzen CPUs

Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users with new processors who try to scan or download updates via the Windows Update tool are greeted with one of two messages. The first is straightforward: "Unsupported Hardware [...] Your PC uses a processor that isn’t supported on this version of Windows and you won’t receive updates." The second message isn't quite as clear:

Windows could not search for new updates
      An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer.
      Error(s) found:
      Code 80240037 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

So the company published a support article to explain that the way its new support policy was implemented means that "Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 devices that have a seventh generation or a later generation processor may no longer be able to scan or download updates through Windows Update or Microsoft Update." The company (naturally) advised users affected by this problem to upgrade from their current operating system to Windows 10.

Well, my 1800X is going back to Amazon.

• Re: Microsoft blocks ALL Windows 7 & 8.1 updates for AMD Ryzen & Intel Kaby Lake Users
          kingfish

I would bet good money that many do the same (return)...

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • Re: Microsoft blocks ALL Windows 7 & 8.1 updates for AMD Ryzen & Intel Kaby Lake Users
              black_zion

I was tempted to go ahead and do it since tools such as WSUS Offline Update access the catalog directly and bypass Windows Update and Microsoft Update, but with the cumulative update model I figured Microsoft would soon include an alteration to the WSUS service to check for the processor model and bring up an installation failure if you did it that way.

It's also still hilarious to me that Microsoft, instead of doing a simple change to unbundle patches and make them optional, therefore making Windows 10 much more appealing and pretty much guaranteeing a 75% market share outside China, is doing many times the work trying to force people to upgrade, which is doing nothing except reduce security.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                black_zion

R7 1800X - $499.99

ASUS X370-Pro - $159.99

Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 - $129.99

Samsung 960 Evo 250gb NVMe - $129.99

All canceled because of Microsoft, $920 in hardware. Looks like Wall Street heard about that as well. Well that, and the fact that AMD confirmed Ryzen R5 and R3 have had their cores symmetrically disabled (3x3 on the R5, and 2x2 on the R4). Many were expecting AMD to do a 0x4 on the R3 so there is no performance penalty, but alas it was not to be.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                ibanggpu

GRRRR now I wont get to see your benchmarks

Intel and AMD should team up and change microsofts mind about this.

I know how also.

AMd and INTEL would put an ryzen 1800x and a i7 6600k in a beastly computer system which would run together to stimulate an alternate reality where microsoft supports the ryzen and the krabapple windows 7 and 8.1 and can see the praise we ryzen buyer give to microsoft.

The beasty computer with a fusion of amd and intel would also computer the reality where ryzen and krabapple are not supported by windows 7 and 8.1... Oh wait, that is our reality and it doesn't take a powerful computer to tell microsoft that we Ryzen supporters will hate microsofts guts for doing this.

venoma

That won't happen, M$ true goal is

1. To sqeeze w7 users away to w10:

They can't pull elephants(w7 users) with their bare hands which are largest base population from market share.

Cut off w7 life support by force CPU and motherboard model is Microsoft's trump card to kill w7 users once for all.

Force w10 on w7 systray is just a spice of warning. They prepared to be hated from the begining

for sake invest to bring w7 users to w10 all cost. Now look many w10 market share percentage right now?

2. To make Linux unnotice by only tag w10 support:

Think about it from w10 force update incident Linux start to increase to 2% from 1%.

They made motherboard tag only support w10 which cause newbies think that cpu doesn't support Linux only w10.

M$ aware after they gain hate from force w10 on w7 systray cause some w7, w10 users fled to Linux

which are spoilage that M$ don't want to waste to lose these ppl that's why they force hardware instead after that.

To be blunt AMD you make M$ force w10 schemes gone wrong which make lots of us w7, w8.1, w10, Linux users very happy about your AMD extended supports. But that's make them mad very extremely that's why I they make countermeasure to make your AMD w7-w8.1 support gone to waste. AMD should not join force with M$ any cost. Otherwise AMD will get one-side slander atk from Intel on w10 forever in future. Intel fanboys on Windows are too much for you AMD to handle. If you make a path to Linux you'll gain more trust from Linux users. Don't forget ReactOS doesn't aware Intel kill off them along with XP. Reactos fate is completely seal from Intel future processors. But AMD you've this strongest weapon "Wide cross-platform support than Intel". So don't always chase the speed clock. AMD strongest point is compatibility among OS.

I run both W10 and Linux along together than 3 years and I can tell what are they plotting.

In my own opinion, Ryzen X1800 is too expensive for me to get, and the worst thing is that I suggested AMD to release Sempron or Celeron level Ryzen based processors when releasing such a giant on this communities, but ignored! The policy, in my own opinion, does not seems to be always optimistic, especially in today's IT market, especially people are accustomed with bringing out their tablets or smartphones out everywhere if they want. As to the workstation market, the position which Intel dominated could never be so shocked by this new Ryzen processors, and for the server market, x86 (or x86-64) is not the only choice, PowerPC, UltraSPARC, MIPS, ARM and even Itanium are also the popular choices among the enterprises all over the world.

Ryzen is set too high to reachable, it is set too high for its performance and product position. This would keep average purchasers keep away from this newly coming processor, and annoy so many purchasers who recently spent a lot buying an AMD FX based machine. Someone from this community has already reported his view on it. Ryzen is good and even better. I wish AMD would serve the entry level market first, let more and more purchasers have the will to evaluate such newly coming chips, and stop positioning the high end product first. Only the more people would find the benefits they obtain from such a new microarchitecture, they would have the practical purposes to build up their various platforms, which AMD could never do that.  Let the purchasers decide using Ryzen base processors do, rather than designing it for some a specific field!

Ryzen might have something different from the aspect of platform, so Microsoft drop the further update towards such processors. Before returning back, if possible, would you please use tool such as msinfo32 and/or HWINFO64 to retrieve information on the interrupts, ports, memory and so forth? I believe Microsoft has their own reasons terminating support of Ryzen processors.

abi

Microsoft also did the same to kabylake cpus, which means future intel cpus will suffer the same fate and also vulkan multi-gpu support.....

dutcher_butcher

Has anyone figured out if this can be forced through WSUS offline?

My entire build hinges on W7 support.