7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2017 11:46 AM by ibanggpu

Brand new PC, but serious slowdown/stuttering on modern games.

kavak

PROBLEM:

I purchased a GUA2400BST Cyberpower desktop pre-built from Best Buy back in December. I get serious slowdown/stuttering on anything game in recent years, e.g. GTA V, Battlefield 1, Mass Effect Andromeda. Older games Like Dead Space 2 or Skyrim run fine. Even when I can get newer games running smoothly, there is odd pixelation of the graphics in certain places, like flames in Battlefield 1.

I have a VGA monitor running through an adapter into an HDMI accepting card, which as far as I can tell should not be an issue, but could be. Am I not using the profile settings for my games correctly? Did I mess up a driver installation?

SPECS:

Card: Radeon RX 480 4GB

Driver: 17.2.1

Monitor: HP W2081d LED Backlit, 1600x900 60Hz

Processor: AMD FX-8350 8-Core 4GHz

Memory: 8 GB RAM

• Re: Brand new PC, but serious slowdown/stuttering on modern games.
          ibanggpu

I seen this issue before:

You need to post your motherboard; what type of ram you have and its frequency; and tell me if you set the power efficiency to your rx 480 to +50% in AMD Wattman to prevent your card from being power throttled.

I cant find your pc specs online, so you will have to tell me.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              kavak

RAM type: DDR3
              Motherboard: American Megatrends Inc. 2603, 6/26/2015

I have set the power limit to +50% on the global profile, so I'll see if that helps. Is there anything else that looks like a problem?

ibanggpu

Thanks for getting back to me! Make sure your windows power settings mode is set for gaming, so your hardware get the power they need to run.

I cant find your motherboard specs at all, can someone try to find specs? Wish it just had a model number

They could of put your graphics card on a pci express x16 1.0 port and not a pci express x16 2.0+ port.

This matters because a 1.0 pci express port would make your gpu weaker and not give it enough power.

Also since I can't find the motherboard specs, we dont even know if the motherboard is supporting your cpu well enough and not power throttling that as well.

I know this is a lot to take in, but trying download two programs called gpu-Z and CPU-z

GPU-Z GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility

CPU-Z: CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID

With these two programs, you can monitor lots of info about your hardware. But what we need is to see how much watts your gpu and cpu are using.

The programs are easy to use also, and everyone here on the support forums uses it a lot.

If your cpu is not using around 125 watts when you are gaming(check how much watts with cpu-z), then something is wrong with your motherblard and you should probably replace it with a better brand.

check how much watts your gpu is using as well.

I use an asrock 970m pro3 motherboard and run the fx 8350 and rx 470 4gb fine on it.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      kavak

+50% has fixed most problems for Andromeda, still some hitching and pixellation but not at an unlivable level- I'll look at my monitor specs to figure out the latter. I'm pretty sure I applied the +50% setting to GTA V alone some weeks ago, which similarly fixed things and I forgot what I did.

Max TDP (I presume that's what I'm looking for) is 125. GPU is using about 100 at max load.

ibanggpu

Yes, that is what we were looking for.

Your gpu seems to work fine, not at its peak best because I think your motherboard has pci express 2.0 instead of 3.0 which would stop all power throttling, but whatever. It is your choice to get a new motherboard(not that expensive honestly) but the catch is you have to reinstall windows and your drivers because you are using a new bios.

I would recommend you looking at the witcher 3: game of the year edition if you ever are bored looking for a new game. It won over 150 gaming awards and your rx 480 will run it fine(you will have to turn off hairworks in the settings, because it is a stupid feature that eats 30-60 fps away).

Have fun!

nbaliver100

I have close to the same setup you have (albeit, I built my own), but with (2x) NITRO+ RX 480 8GBs and FX-8350 @4.2Ghz.  I don't have any problems when it comes to "pixelation" problems.....might get a few stutters here and there, but that is usually generalized from the optimization of the game; but the list of games you mentioned I have never had problems with.  Chances are, it's your monitor or how you have that setup.  Being that you are using a single card, Radeon profiles don't make much of a difference and can usually be left at their default settings.  Maybe try going into Wattman and bumping up your Power Level to the MAX settings and Apply that and see if it perhaps at least fixes stuttering issues.