3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2017 6:47 AM by protivakid

RX 480 Crash - Fault Bucket Type 0

chrisdail

I upgraded my aging computer a few weeks ago with a new RX 480 4GB (Asus Dual model). The system is a bit older (i5 2500k, Asus P8P67 motherboard) but has been running stable for a long time on a GTX 560 Ti. I took the jump to AMD specifically for Freesync and purchased the RX 480 with a Freesync 144 Hz monitor (Viewsonic XG2401).

Since the upgrade, I have been having the occasional crash. The crash is a kernel crash in the amd display driver. The system recovers and Windows continues after a few seconds but this unfortunately interrupts the game sometimes causing them also to crash.

I enjoy this new card I have but the crashes are not ok. I'm trying to figure out now if I have a faulty card or if it is a graphics driver issue.

Things I have tried to resolve the problem:

• I read some info about issue relating to Freesync and Borderless Windowed mode (which I usually use). I switched to fullscreen mode for games and still experience the crash.
      • I have also ensured no background apps are running behind the window.
      • I originally installed the 17.2.1 drivers (latest available when I installed the card). I upgraded to the 17.3.1 drivers when they came out and still notice the crash on the new drivers (I had 2 crashes tonight on this new driver).
      • I thought it may be the TDR error issue as described in the troubleshooting (I had this issue on an old computer). Even with the setting updated to 8 seconds, I still had the crash. The only thing it seemed to do is increase the time before recovery (usually leading the game to crash).
      • I used the DDU utility to remove all drivers (old nvidia and the amd drivers) and do a fresh install. This did not help.

Games that Crash:

• Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - I play this a few times a week and I almost always have at least one or more crashes in a 2-3h session. Counterstrike usually comes back after the display driver is restarted by windows.
      • Path of Exile - I have had some issues with this one particular night. Since I switched to fullscreen mode I do not think I have seen another crash.
      • Overwatch - I also play a bit of overwatch even long sessions like counter-strike. I have not had any crash in overwatch that I can recall.

Details of the Crash

Here are the details of the crash from event viewer:

Fault bucket , type 0
      Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
      Response: Not available
      Cab Id: 0
      Problem signature:
      P1: 141
      P2: ffffab0846c6b4a0
      P3: fffff8095c9df3e8
      P4: 0
      P5: 7fc
      P6: 10_0_14393
      P7: 0_0
      P8: 256_1
      P9: 
      P10: 
      Attached files:
      \\?\C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20170313-2204.dmp
      \\?\C:\Users\chris\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-692182031-0.sysdata.xml
      \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WEREA47.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
      These files may be available here:
      C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Kernel_141_e4e6e6482f2e34a678cabf10c57940e5d44b323_00000000_cab_35edea67
      Analysis symbol: 
      Rechecking for solution: 0
      Report Id: 298b9fd9-0852-11e7-9bfa-f46d042c9a75
      Report Status: 4
      Hashed bucket: 

I'm also attaching the other files from the crash.

The RadeonSettings app also crashes after the display drivers crash.

• Re: RX 480 Crash - Fault Bucket Type 0
          chrisdail

I tried a few more things:

• Updated BIOS drivers as they were not the latest
          • Installed latest Windows and Counter-strike global offensive updates

I still ran into the same crash in global offensive. There were two separate entries in the windows error report. One with the same as before but also this new error.

Fault bucket LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_atikmpag.sys, type 0
          Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
          Response: Not available
          Cab Id: 084fa453-c93d-4e05-b007-a187285eda01

Problem signature:
          P1: 141
          P2: ffffd380d3693010
          P3: fffff805227ef3e8
          P4: 0
          P5: e44
          P6: 10_0_14393
          P7: 0_0
          P8: 256_1
          P9: 
          P10: 

Attached files:
          \\?\C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20170315-2347.dmp
          \\?\C:\Users\chris\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-12221062-0.sysdata.xml
          \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER8544.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
          \\?\C:\Windows\Temp\WERA04E.tmp.csv
          \\?\C:\Windows\Temp\WERA0BC.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
          C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_141_d7cee52e47487b85553487e3fbd6c7fcd3948ba7_00000000_cab_123aa213

Analysis symbol: 
          Rechecking for solution: 0
          Report Id: eec3eafa-09f2-11e7-9bfc-f46d042c9a75
          Report Status: 0
          Hashed bucket: 

chrisdail

I ran another test on this issue last night. I disabled freesync in the radeon settings and played an evening of Global Offensive. I did not experience the crash. So it appears this is an issue with freesync.

I see some information in the release notes for the drivers that reference Global Offensive and Freesync issues but it does not indicate a crash and only seems to be visual issues. This has not been my experience but I wonder if the issues are related.

protivakid

Did you ever solve this? My monitor doesn't support it so FreeSync is already disabled for me. I have been seeing the same error with my RX480