0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2017 10:01 AM by miltrivd

Freesync not working on borderless windowed mode (and AMD Drivers forcing GPU fans to not work)

miltrivd

GPU: MSI 390 Gaming

Driver: 16.12.1 - 17.2.1 - 17.3.1

Displays: Acer XF240H (1080p 144Hz Freesync via DP) - LG W2353V-PF (1080p 60Hz via DVI-D)

Mobo: MSI Z97 PC Mate

CPU: i7-4790K (at stock settings)

PSU: Thermaltake TR2-600NL2NH

RAM: 16 GB (2x8 DDR3 1600)

Just bought the Freesync monitor stated above and Freesync has worked flawlessly on exclusive fullscreen mode. Windowed or Borderless Windowed hasn't worked once, tried a bunch of games that have a borderless mode, windowed games, games which have fullscreen mode that are a borderless implementation and forcing windowed games into borderless with the "Borderless Gaming" application.

Had already installed 17.2.1, and then tried 17.3.1 and then 16.12.1 (which is when Freesync Borderless was implemented as far as I know).

I'm in the process of using DDU and trying every driver between 16.12.1 to date but seems pretty fruitless so far and it's becoming time consuming.

-----

On top of the Wattman crashes that started with the Relive versions (16.12.1) which may fully freeze my PC when testing the Freesync issue above. I do use MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner overlay enabled. Sadly I cannot disable MSI Afterburner since my fans do not turn at all without the custom fan curve enabled.

Wattman reports fans turning at 1200 RPM when they are completely stopped. Fans turn normally on boot until Windows load and AMD settings stop them. MSI Afterburner let's me have normal functionality so far. I do not know when this started since I got this GPU at release (September 2015 and did not use Afterburner with it for at least 8 months).