First things first, my system specs:
- Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB
- Windows 7 64-bit
- Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.3.1
- 3x LG 23MP68VQ-P Freesync monitors
1. DisplayPort to HDMI
2. HDMI to HDMI
3. DVI to DVI
- Asus Z170i Pro-Gaming
- Seasonic X-650 80Plus Gold
- 2x 8GB HyperX Fury DDR4
Now, on to the issue:
I installed 17.3.1 the day it was released. Same as always, I did not make any modifications whatsoever in the Global Wattman section. I only use it as a monitoring tool. I do not make adjustments/tweaking/overclocking both on my GPU and CPU.
Lately, while playing either Battlefield 1, Resident Evil 7, and/or Blade and Soul -- I noticed that there were times that I would see the screen freezes for a second, or a fraction of a second (randomly). It wasn't that noticeable at first since FPS seems fine, nothing out of the ordinary, so I just disregarded those instances. It has been going on for so long and has become disturbing for me while playing so I decided to 'investigate'. It was then that I noticed, from Global Wattman, GPU-Z, HWMonitor, and HWiNFO64 that my GPU's Memory Clock has been fluctuating from 1500MHz to 150MHz and back to 1500MHz then 150MHz, and so on.
I thought that something might be wrong with my card, so I decided to run Valley and Heaven benchmarks. Nothing disturbing from the results of both. I launched Global Wattman, GPU-Z, HWMonitor, and HWiNFO64 before playing Blade and Soul, and I saw the results from all of them. It does fluctuate at random times! Here are some screenshots:
- Global Wattman 1500MHz - http://prnt.sc/ejc5hr
- Global Wattman 150MHz - http://prntscr.com/ejc604
- GPU-Z 150MHz - http://prnt.sc/ejc66v
- GPU-Z 1500MHz - http://prnt.sc/ejc6fc
- HWMonitor and HWiNFO64 readings - http://prnt.sc/ejc6w7
As a final test, I closed all windows, browsers, and did not play any games. I just left my computer turned on without any applications running except these ones: Global Wattman, GPU-Z, HWMonitor, and HWiNFO64. I conluded that it does happen randomly even if I am not playing any games.
I uninstalled 17.3.1 and installed 17.2.1 earlier. So far, so good. No fluctuations in memory clock, both while playing a game and just leaving my PC on idle:
- HWMonitor and HWiNFO64 readings - http://prnt.sc/ejca46
- GPU-Z - http://prnt.sc/ejcajm
- Global Wattman - http://prnt.sc/ejcb2x
If other users are experiencing this, please confirm by posting here. I will create a bug report as well after this. Thank you.