AnsweredAssumed Answered

RX480 stuttering on 17 series drivers

Question asked by rakgitarmen on Mar 10, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 16, 2018 by matthewearl

I've been eagerly waiting for this issue to be resolved since December, but seeing it's still ongoing, I decided to report it. I really want to stay up-to-date with my drivers but this issue is preventing me from updating.

On 17 series drivers (including 17.3.1) on some titles (I'll use World of Warships as an example) I get stutters when running them fullscreen or borderless fullscreen. The stutters occur every ~1 second and last about 0.5-0.25 seconds which makes the game unplayable. During the stutters my whole controls freeze, including mouse control.

I checked what's happening with Wattman and here's what I found out when playing World of Warships:

jSUiGFN.png

When I switch to the game and make it fullscreen, my memory speed momentarily drops down to 300Mhz along with some GPU speed fluctuation. When I alt tab, and let it run in the background, it runs perfectly.

I did a clean install of the driver (With DDU) and the issue is still there. Windows power settings make no difference.

The only solution I found is to roll back to 16.12.1 drivers, which work flawlessly in the same situation. Obviously I can't stay on this driver especially when I want to play the latest titles . . . which is exactly what I had in mind when bought an RX480.

My system specs:

i7 6700

Asus B150M

MSI RX480 8Gb Gaming X

16GB DDR4 RAM (2100MHz)

600W EVGA PSU

Windows 10 (64 bit)

Outcomes