alzilla

Specs:

Sapphire NITRO R9 390 8GB GDDR5 with backplate running the 17.3.1 driver

i5 6600k

16gb RAM DDR4

Gigabyte z170x-UD3

EVGA Supernova 750 G2

Windows 10 64-bit

I've had problems with black screens since the jump to Crimson when watching and streaming videos of varying quality and codecs, using pretty much any application or playing older games (such as original Doom). It can, however, run fairly modern games without a hitch for a long time(such as Mass Effect 1 up to Battlefield 1). I'm going out on a limb here, but perhaps it has something to do with the 2D drivers.

I found a workaround that solved the problem without being too annoying. It consisted of running MSI Afterburner and having two profiles. One with stock numbers and one for watching videos, using applications and playing older games. It consisted of changing the power limit to +5, downclocking the core to 875 MHz and Memory Clock to 950 MHz.

However, since the ReLive/WattMan update MSI Afterburner does not work anymore. Any changes I do result in a black screen.

I've tried to revert to the last driver I know worked with Afterburner, but I can no longer make changes in Afterburner regardless of driver. The attempts to downgrade has involved: uninstalling MSI Afterburner and drivers (both with and without using DDU) and I've tried the former in combination with removing the card and putting it back in about 4 times.

I've also tried to use WattMan as a substitute for Afterburner, but it wont allow me to change voltage or memory clock, nor does it seem to offer the ability to use two different general profiles.

I would like some help solving the issue of black screens.