7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2017 8:41 AM by viniciuslc

R9 280X Fatal damage - relive / wattman problem

viniciuslc

Have this good card for almost two years with no issue, no problems at all, but...

Started on 16.12 driver release, suffering the AMD wattman flickering, crash and a lot of HARD-RESET, i mean a lot, tested some games and in 5 minutes or less the game crashed and balck screen, or screen corrupition and so on. So after a seach i found thats not only with me, other people are having this issue and i found if it was related to the relive drive, so i roll back to 16.9.2 and everything started to work normal again. So it was a non hardware problem at all.

Days and months have passed with no issues, so I tried the 17.3.1 and on the first 30 minutes of gameplay (Elder Scrolls Online) i did notice a flickering grass but ok, and so a Crash again, lot of artifacts, so i exited the game and rebboted the windows, but then again lot of stips and "green" and "blue" vertical stips, so a white screen with a system crash, and the worse my PC won’t start anymore, even to the bios screen, so I used an old HD6870 and all started fine, I did all kind of tests all day long and my 280x don’t work , tried HDMI, DVI, VGA cable and nothing.  My MB shows a red led indicator for VGA problem.

So using my old HD6800 I started my PC, used the DDU to clear the drivers, but when I change back to 280x the PC won’t start.

Things to consider:

1 - Never had the issues before.

2 - Rolling back to 16,xx driver with no relive / wattman on it make the things normal again.

3 - After 2 or 3 months playing and using  for others things was a normal and smooth thing.

4 - Upgrated the driver to 17.3.1 and in 30 minutes all problem back with a "fatality" bonus.

So what u think? it is a coincidence?

Can the driver somehow bring harm to my hardware?

Windows 10 updated

280X HIS ICQ².

Asus MB M5A97EVO R2

FX 8350, 2x Corsair 1333 4GB

All up to date and no problems until the Relive drivers.