6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2017 8:17 AM by cplifj

290X idle memory clockspeeds NOT IDLE.

cplifj

FFS amd , when are you going to fix the idle clockspeeds to stay at  #@#|#{[]  idleclockspeeds of 150 MHz instead of running on 1250 MHz FULL TIME.

Excuse me if i find this total BS and FAT AMATEURISM from amd's side.

• Re: 290X idle memory clockspeeds NOT IDLE.
          cplifj

oh yes, some "idle" temps i get.  GPU = 66° C   VRM1 = 41°C  VRM2 = 58°C.   All because of this 1250 MHz idle memclockspeed.  CPU idles at the normal 350 MHz.

When the memclock idle speed runs at 150MHz as it should , the card temps are CPU = 42°C  VRM1 = 29°C VRM2 = 27°C .

also this now uses 12.5 Watts in idle instead of only 8-9 watts...    ALL PURELY FOR NOTHING. Thanks to AMD drivers, the writer of said driver has stock in electric companies for sure !!!!

Hardwood

I think there's something else happening there. My 290x goes up about 3 degrees when the mem goes to 1250 (extended screens). so says Afterburner.

What program are  you monitoring those temps with? I'll try that here.

cplifj

temps get monitored with GPU-Z.   They are correctly reported as far as i can tell.

Also this has got NOTHING to do with multi-monitor setups AT ALL.  That is just a marketeers lie.

I have allways had 3 identical monitors attached to this 290 X .  The clock has come down with every decent driver before when in idle.

The high mem-clock being stuck at 1250 MHz happenend one time with the older catalyst drivers, and now with the crimson drivers it happened every other driver that mem clock gets stuck at max.  All the other drivers manage to bring the clock down in idle to 150 MHZ.

SO , THIS IS A DRIVER PROBLEM AND NOTHING ELSE GUYS.

Hardwood

From my 3870x2 to my 5870 to my 290x mem clocks ALWAYS max to 1250 (for 290x) when more than one monitor is active. But like I said, it has very little to do with any temp. Specifically, In GPU-Z vrm temp2 does rise about 10c and GPU Temp goes up about 3c and that's it.

With ambient around 20c, this is my gpuz with 3  monitors in extended mode. http://prntscr.com/eknvzm

And this is one monitor: http://prntscr.com/eko1mi

I can't explain why yours gets that warm but I maintain activating monitors raises mem clock and always has for every driver version for many  years.

cplifj

Yes the vrm's don't heat up as much, but the GPU itself runs at 66°C instead of 37/38°C when this memclock stucks at 1250MHz.

I am of the opinion AMD does this as a quick workaround for SOME that have a problem. It is not needed for most who don't have problems.

Yet we all get to enjoy the higher temps and higher energy consumption...

Also this does not make any system more reliable or anything. Just more energy consumption.

Maybe it's all marketing tricks to get people to consume more then is actually ever needed. Buy a new card ?  Can forget about that,

and if i did , it wouldn't be one of the well know brands who all think they can take the customer for a spin on the mary go round.

Fed Up with all the lowlife marketing craplies. And rest asured , everybody is. Unless you think you can run companies on fanboys alone.

doothe

I suggest buying Nvidia next time if you have multiple monitors.