1 Reply Latest reply on May 22, 2017 2:04 PM by rjd

amdgpu-pro16.60 after installation problem

bluefoxzero

I am running Ubuntu16.04.2 LTS and have AMD Radeon R7 M265 GPU. Recently I tried installing amdgpu-pro 16.60 driver following the instructions from AMDGPU-PRO Driver for Linux Release Notes. But after rebooting I couldn't login (it would loop back again and again to the login screen). I tried a workaround for this at drivers - Can't login after installing AMDGPU-PRO 16.60 - Ask Ubuntu which says to use --px option while installing. This would enable to login(I don't know why). Also I was able to find the amdgpu driver using lspci command and "dpkg -l amdgpu-pro".

But now I cannot find it as a OpenCL recognized device when I run the command "clinfo". I looked into forums with suggestions like adding the libOpenCL.so library installed by the driver to LD_LIBRARY_PATH but nothing worked. I don't know where the problem is. I basically want to use OpenCL to access my GPU.

• Re: amdgpu-pro16.60 after installation problem
          rjd

Have you tried upgrading your kernel? Ubuntu 16.04 uses a 4.4 kernel by default. According to this

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=229229&p=1271600#p1271600 the amdgpu-pro drivers need a 4.8 or newer kernel. I have installed them twice now (once on an FX-6300, once on a Ryzen5 1600) using a 4.8 kernel and a 4.10. I'm using Linux Mint 18.1 which is based on Ubuntu 16.04 so the process should be virtually the same. It's possible you have a different issue since you're using a mobile card but when I looked up the driver for your card I got the same one I'm using for my desktop card.

If you go to the bottom of page 2 of the above post, you'll find a complete walkthrough of the install process I used. The only changes you should need are to omit modifying the install script as it should work as written in Ubuntu and in the commands after the install that use "xed", replace it with gedit or the text editor of your choice. Of course I would use the latest driver and kernel available when you install.